Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got a Fuji X10? Thoughts on use.
  • thx1138
    Free Member

I’m contemplating a small, good quality camera for travelling and just having in a pocket, for times when lugging a DSLR is unpractical/impossible. the Fuji X10 looks very good for the money, and I’m attracted by the bright lens, but was wondering how well it performs ‘in the field’. Does anyone have experience of one?

Important features to me are a minimal delay shutter release; don’t like those cameras that hunt around and take ages to decide what to do. I want one that will shoot as quickly (or near enough) as a DSLR. Not fussed about interchangeable lenses, as that defeats the object of having a small camera really. Plus they’re a lot more expensive generally.

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus PEN/Panasonic equivalent ftw. Plenty of options for £300.

Or, a very good bet would be an Olympus TG-1. Not as good performance as Pens or the Fuji but water/dust/shock proof, so you don’t have to worry about trashing it on a beach or in a tropical rain shower etc. If I were travelling I’d really want weatherproofing.

thx1138
    Free Member

Thanks Molgrips; that’s certainly an option to consider. Although I’d prioritise image quality over robustness.

The Pen/equivalents are interchangeable lens cameras; again, not what I’m after, plus a good bit more than I want to spend really (although I do like them).

Anyone else?

epicyclo

I got one for that reason, good camera, but in the end, what I carry with me is my Nikon AW100 because I see very few days where a ready access camera won’t get wet or sweated on. (If it has to go in a case, then it doesn’t get used for the sort of shots it was bought for).

thx1138
    Free Member

Epicyclo; do you think the X10 is a bit fragile for everyday use then?

molgrips
    Free Member

The Pen/equivalents are interchangeable lens cameras; again, not what I’m after, plus a good bit more than I want to spend really

The Fuji is £300 isn’t it? ILCs are available for that price. Also nothing wrong with image quality.

epicyclo

Not fragile, but I like to be able to pull my camera out even when it’s raining hard. Also it usually is rattling around in an outside pocket so is exposed to weather and sweat, so I want a camera that can survive that usage.

jimw
    Free Member

I know of a guy in the photography department in a local college that have had two X10’s for a year and they have survived many ham fisted students using them with no reliability issues at all. They used them to replace Nikon DSLR’s . My friend says they are excellent. I have handled one and it is easy to use although the 112mm equivalent max zoom is a bit restrictive for the sort of work I would want one for. Picture quality is great and in particular the low light/high ISO settings are a revelation compared to my three year old DSLR

thx1138
    Free Member

ILCs are available for that price

What are ICLs?

Not fragile, but I like to be able to pull my camera out even when it’s raining hard. Also it usually is rattling around in an outside pocket so is exposed to weather and sweat, so I want a camera that can survive that usage.

Mine won’t be subjected to such extreme use! I have an old crappy compact for that sort of thing.

jimw; that’s very interesting, thanks. I’ve recently been taking quite a few ‘candid’ portraits of friends and children, as I find that genre very interesting and satisfying, and I find the DSLR a bit too obtrusive, plus if it’s in a bag it takes time to get it out and ready. So I want something small and pocketable, yet still capable, without being to obvious. Something I can snap a quick candid pic in a bar etc, without it looking like I’m a ‘photographer’. I use natural light mostly, so a fast lens is important, as is low light capability.

A bit more money, but the Sony RX100 is supposed to be very, very good.

molgrips
    Free Member

What are ICLs?

I dunno, but ILCs are interchangeable lens cameras, ie Pen’s etc. I know you said you didn’t want one, but they are a possible fit for what you want and you could just never change the lens 🙂

However.. if you DO want something really pocketable, your best option would be to change that lens for a pancake. Extra cash, but they really are DSLR quality and performance in your pocket. Well – performance on the earlier Pens debateable, but the ones from 3 upwards are comparable easily, I reckon.

thx1138
    Free Member

The RX100 is nice, but a bit more than I want to pay. Plus, it lacks a couple of important features for me; one being an optical viewfinder (very useful if in a dark place and you want to turn the screen off), the other being a flash hotshoe (for bounced flash).

However.. if you DO want something really pocketable, your best option would be to change that lens for a pancake. Extra cash, but they really are DSLR quality and performance in your pocket.

Nice idea, but no zoom. I need a small, ‘do it all’ type camera.

Seems the X10 is the best option actually. Oh, except for the X20. 🙄

ezzy
    Free Member

I’ve got one and bought it especially because I was going away on a trip where weight was an issue so didn’t want to lug around my DSLR.
    The quality of the images is fanatastic and was commented on others when they saw them. There is something special about that Fuji colour.
    What it is not though, is an easy point and shoot camera (although it can be used like that). It has so much more to offer but you really do need to spend time getting to know it. I recommend the user guide you can buy on Amazon (White?). I spent two weeks fiddling around with it and trying different settings and I’m still not sure I’m using it to its full potential. Things weren’t helped at the end of the holiday by an intermittent fault with the auto focus but as soon as I got back I returned it to fuji who sorted it out in a week.
    If you do get one, do buy some spare batteries as they have a short life and I also recommend buying the Fuji leather case, which has a nice retro look to it.

dobo
    Free Member

the x10 looks like a decent camera to me.
    a mirrorless camera like the olympus pens would also be a good bet if image quality is the primary goal and possibly not bigger with lens removed, may not live up to expectation with focus and video, but with a panasonic pancake lens you will be impressed even in low light.
    rx1oo is the only thing i can think of thats got high image quality and pocketable, canon s100 is lower still if budget dont stretch.
    i will have a fuji one day, looks good for macro too

imo all modern cameras ive come accros could do with an aditional battery. get em cheaper on line though, original batterys are a rip off

kiwijohn

I love my X10, but the upgraded viewfinder on the X20 would be worth it.

vrapan
    Free Member

You can get the GX-1 with a pancake zoom 14-42 they go for 350£ s/h. IQ will be better but admittedly the lens is fiddly.

The X10 can often be found on the refurbished site of Fuji for well below 300 and is an excellent option if you need a VF.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Fuji X10? Thoughts on use.’ is closed to new replies.