Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone got a flymo?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

My ancient rotary mower needs replacing and as my garden is on multi levels and in places rough wondering if a flymo would be best but looking on the www some shocking reviews in terms of how badly thy cut as well as reliability. Anyone got a view?

boblo
    Free Member

Got a big petrol one I don’t use anymore if you fancy it….

Cuts fine and is reliable but YIKES NO STRIPES!!! So Im use a Nonda now to add stripey loveliness.

brassneck

Never had a problem with mine, but with 3 boys, 2 cats and a dog I don’t exactly aspire to Lords level groundsmanship.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My mate reckons it just blow-dries the grass flat rather than cutting it 🙂

I’m inclined to believe him.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Have concluded that my flymo is rubbish and am looking to change it this year, although there is nothing actually wrong with it. It seems to lightly waft any grass placed under it, at best, even with a freshly sharpened blade…. and what it does cut, it sprays about the rest of the garden with clippings (despite an internal basket) with the vigour it should reserve to actually cut the lawn better in the first place!!!!!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

bristolbiker… yep that seems to be the common consensus on the www.

loddrik
    Free Member

No problems with mine. Doesn’t cut the grass quite as short as my old mower but it’s been reliable and is easy to use. No complaints at all.

Maybe it depends on the model.

mangoridebike

I’ve got the cheapest one that doesn’t have the collection bag on it. My lawn is pretty steep so the ighter the better. being a flymo means I can maneavoure it around much more effectively which helps getting into the more awkward areas.

the cut isn’t perfect, but it doesn’t look too bad.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

ours packed up last week, did half the lawn, turned it off, tried turning it back on, . . . nuthin!! 😡

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never had problems with flymos, apart from when I hit a brick with it and sheared the blade bolt off in the hub, took a bit of drilling and easy-outing to fix it, but still battles on and cuts just fine. Sucks up the majority of the cuttings, assuming you mow fairly frequently rathr than every 3 weeks.

gusamc
    Free Member

dad (part time pro) and I use flymos, he, on ground steep enough that the mower is lowered and then pulled back up on a rope. The only duff flymo I ever saw was my gfs cheapy,the blade was nearly 4mm wide, now fixed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is that like trying to cut grass with a brick? 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a flymo?’ is closed to new replies.