Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone got a direct petrol injection Mazda 3 or 6?
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’m on about the 2.0 DISI fitted to 2010-on 3s and 6s.

What real life MPG do you get?

Any issues? Any inlet valve carbon build up as per VAG FSI / TFSI engines?

nickewen
    Free Member

I’ve got no experience of the Mazda DI but my 325i (3.0l N53) had DI and my experience was decent mpg for the engine size/power. Round the doors 29-30mpg and on a run I had it as high as 43-44mpg once driving like a saint. Relatively speaking of course for a 220hp straight six! However I would research injector issues… These DI fuel systems run crazy high pressures and mine had a penchant for chewing injectors (not sure if related to high pressures) 2 in 30,000 miles. Is the Mazda you’re talking about the first model to adopt DI fuelling?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

There was the 2.3 turbo as fitted to the 3 and 6 MPS. Not sure if that was developed before or in parallel with the n/a one. Haven’t heard of fuel pump or injector issues but worth looking out for I guess.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes (I think). It’s a 2.0 litre petrol bought early 2010.

MPG has always been in the low 30s (usually around 32). But it isn’t driven gently.

Never discovered any issues at service time. Other than the always i-stop stop/start feature.

Mine’s the sport model – voice activated phone a biting a chore, but otherwise has plenty of mod cons and, other than the above problem, has served me well for the last 5 odd years.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Ourman – yep it’s the start/stop ones I was looking at.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Fuel economy will vary with the quality of the fuel. Espeially on high pressure injectors. The better (usally more expensive) petrol has detergents and stuff in to keep the injectors clean. Supermarket stuff doesn’t.

As always you get what you pay for.

nickewen
    Free Member

I can second that. My first injector went at the end of a full tank of tesco rubbish.. Was always shell\esso for every other tank and every 4-5 tanks good to run a tank of v-power. I was pushed for time and tesco was closest. Expensive lesson..

ourmaninthenorth

The stop/start failure seems to be well documented. Apparently an issue with the secondary battery. TBH I just leave the error light flashing and do without the feature.

My car has otherwise been great. Used to cover c20k miles a year, but that’s eased off now. Have done 90k miles and it doesn’t show any sign of any major issues.

I don’t know anything about direct injection – certainly no issues to date with mine. MPG isn’t great by current standards – I seemed to buy it at the time mega economy diesels took off (which have now been superseded by frugal petrols).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a direct petrol injection Mazda 3 or 6?’ is closed to new replies.