Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone got a decent commuter route from hamilton/ blantyre / bothwell to Glasgow
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

looking for a decent commuter route from hailton to glasgow but dont reall fancy National route 75 untill you hit the city as cycling through the east end is just stupid

any suggestions???

mema
    Free Member

Have a look at going along the Clyde towpath. I used to use it when travelling from Cambuslang to Partick.

2tyred

I used the section from the city centre to Dalmarnock Road when I lived in Rutherglen, it was fine apart from the stink from the sewage works. As with any path alongside a waterway in central Scotland, you come across loads of alcoholic bampot fishermen, but never had any bother.

You could come off onto Dalmarnock Road and take the main road (or cut through the industrial estate on the left before the big Tesco) along to Cambuslang then rejoin NCR75 just after the Cambuslang shops – that would avoid the Parkhead/Springfield Road bit, which I'd hesitate to ride along as well. Not sure what the cycle path's like after that. I've ridden along the road that goes through Halfway and out to Hamilton via Blantyre a few times, its not that bad and pretty direct.

Take it you're doing this on a road bike of some sort?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

aye the plan of attack was to borrow my brothers hybrid to try it for a couple of weeks and if all worked out i would invest in a commuter, just really dont fancy the whole parkhead dalmarnock at night bit

doug_basqueMTB.com

Wow, that takes me back a bit. Used to commute from Glasgow to High Blantyre on my Stumpjumper back when that was my only bike! It was 20 miles each way and I'd do it every Friday. I'll never remeber the details but I went along the clyde for miles, out of Glasgow and then cut off and down some back roads. It was about 50% off road, maybe a bit more but all on quiet back roads until I got into Blantyre. Sorry I'm being very vague but it was along the clyde until I picked up a National Cycle Route that took me almost the whole way into Blantyre I think. It was very pleasant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a decent commuter route from hamilton/ blantyre / bothwell to Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.