Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone got a day one alfine?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Was wondering if any one had the drop bas one and could give so e feedback. Nearly ordered one today as it looks spot on for covering winter bike,commuter and light trails/ canals etc.

Any other bikes I should consider?

Ag

My LBS had one in the other day. Looked ace in the flesh, I’m very much tempted. Haven’t ridden one, but I do know that the Versa drop bar shifters work really well.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah had a sit one one in on your bike but need to order in a 52 frame. Very very tempted. 😕

warton
    Free Member

I’ve got the SingleSpeed version, bought it on C2W for a 6/7 mile Each way commute and I love it, well made, well thought out bike, that really puts a smile on your face. wouldn’t have anything else for the job it does and for the money

prideotheeast
    Free Member

Hi, I just took a 20min test ride on this bike yesterday along part of my normal commuting route and ended up ordering it via the bike scheme. The gears were smooth and provided sufficient range for the combination of hills and flat and the brakes were a revelation for a drop bar bike. I was expecting to have to change the tyres and was looking out for the mountain bike whine you get on roads but the drag seemed minimal and has made me think I will try these for a while during the winter months to see how I get on.
    My requirements for a bike seemed too wide to reconcile – a fast drop bar commuter (to replace my MB with slicks) that will take full mud guards with good brakes, that will handle trails and family leisure cycling and even the occasional country ride with more serious road bike friends – I guess if I have any concerns it might be the last of these as it is a tad on the heavy side – but otherwise it pretty well ticks all my boxes.
    I have asked my LBS to fit with pedals that are SPDs on one side and ordinary pedals on the other, having not tried SPDs before (and being fed up with toe clips in heavy traffic)and to allow me to jump on the bike whilst camping without changing my footwear. If anyone has any comments on this type of solution then I’d appreciate it.
    I’ll post again when I have used the bike for a month. Cheers

MoreCashThanDash

prideotheeast – thanks for that, I’ve lusted after one as my idal commuter and you seem to have answered all my questions.

Sadly, HM Revenue & Customs don’t do C2W though 👿

maxray
    Free Member

I went for the croix de fer in the end as couldn’t get the alfine in my size. Loving it!

prideotheeast
    Free Member

Well here is my first report as an owner of the Genesis Day One Alfine – As such I should issue a health warning – The new bike excitement hasn’t yet worn off, so you should probably take what I say with a pinch of salt and wait for a posting after I have lived with the bike’s quirks for a while. Having said this it’s fair to say that so far I am loving it.
    I created a bit of a challenge for the mechanic at my LBS, as I asked for mudguards to be fitted – I was told that this would test even a seasoned professional given the combination of frame, disk brakes and tyre size but he has done a good job and it has saved me ‘toughing it out’ in the rain.
    I elected for double-sided mountain bike spd pedals, which are great. I did create some comedy moments for my neighbours as I tried to get out of these, as I had never used them before and fell on the road like a sack of potatoes a number of times (real physical hurt, aswell as just hurt pride!).
    So far I have commuted once, there and back (without the spds – as I didn’t want to spend my working day dead!) and taken the bike for a 20 mile or so spin up the roads to a local moor and back at the weekend – Almost immediately I realise that I need to change the tyres for slicks as the Continental Speed Kings are out and out off-road tyres. I am reasonably (but not not fantastically) fit but the bike is way faster than most guys on mountain bikes and even with these tyres, does a respectable job of keeping up with some guys on road bikes. The brakes are fantastic – very keen but not so sharp as to induce uncontrollable skids when breaking at speed – when on the road and putting an arm out to signal, I was able to slow the bike right down pretty quickly with just one hand.
    The hub gears really are very good. For the most part they engage accurately, although a handful of times when going up the gears I found that there was a a slight delay in them doing so, which may mean they need some minor adjustment. The great thing is that you can slow down to a stop in top gear and click down to a lower gear without pedalling, which has already proven useful. I decided to ride as fast as I could on a couple of down hils and found that I was cranking pretty fast in top gear. I haven’t yet fitted a speedo, so I am unsure, if I was to be out for a long ride with guys on road bikes, whether or not there is sufficient top end gearing to keep up. Even so, it’s fast enough for me and I suspect I was going way faster than I ever would whilst commuting.
    Anyway, watch this space for more posts as i get to know it better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a day one alfine?’ is closed to new replies.