Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone got a Clio 172/182…..or any Clio for that matter?
  • flange
    Free Member

My 350z is costing me a small fortune to run backwards and forwards to work and I can’t fit a bike in it, on it or anywhere near it. So ideally I should take the sensible option and buy a van/estate diseasil and drone to work every morning.

However, I’m an idiot. And idiot is as idiot does and I want a Renaultsport Clio of some description. So, can you fit a bike in the back of a Clio with the seats down, and if so any idea on fuel economy?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

My parents have a 172 cup and my mate has a mk1 172 and they take 2 bikes and 2 peeps no problem.
    Fuel economy is pretty good for the performance. The torquey engine means you don’t have to rev it much at all in normal driving. My parents average around 36mpg and my mate around 30….

chuffnuts

I had one for exactly the same reason and could get two bikes in and riding kit no problem. I could get anywhere between 30-40 mpg depending on driving.
    I’ve had a few quick cars before, and whilst the Clio wasn’t the most powerful it was the most fun car I’ve ever owned. Bloody brilliant handling.

nickf
    Free Member

I had a 182 and averaged 34mpg.

I sold it after 2 months though, as it was so hideously drony. Brilliant when you’re driving it at max-attack pace, but that’s about 3% of the time. The remaining 97% were dreadful. And the interior was just hideous – lots of toys, but it felt horribly cheap and nasty.

I guess I’m not 25 any more……

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have just sold my clio 2.

can fit a bike in but it’s both wheels off. with my old bike 18″ inbred i used to have to take the seat off. with the 29er scandal the seat stays on. not sure why.

I have done severl weekends away biking with mates with bikes and camping gear in the car.

also done a weeks camping with 2 bikes on the back.

the rear space is big but it is almost a cube meaning it’s not long enough for bikes in any direction.

HTH

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your an idiot why not get a Clio V6 Sport?

It has the loosest back end ever in order to make up for the shocking turning circle.

Personally I think you will find most fwd cars dull after driving rwd…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

because there’s an engine in the back and therefore no space for bikes 🙄

flange
    Free Member

See, this is just the sort of response I needed.

I’d be bloody happy with 30/35 mpg – my 350 is barely averaging 22 on a run (quite a fast run mind).

Now looking at pistonheads for potentials!

flange
    Free Member

For the record I’d be keeping the datsun, this is for getting me to and from work and away with the bike

senorj

I’ve got a clio.sporty one , well it was when I got it.
    Plenty of room for a bike or two,plus kit.(wheels off).
    Seats fold or come right out.

I’d rather have a van. Mrs j woudn’t though!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“because there’s an engine in the back and therefore no space for bikes”

My mate used to get a bike in the back of his…

RicP
    Free Member

I’ve had a 172 mk1 and a 182 as company cars.
    They were ideal company cars. Cheap, quick and when they blow-up you hand them back.
    I’ve had 3 bikes in the back wheels off.

But, when the Co Cars ended. I just couldn’t find anything I wanted enough. So I bought another 182 (3years old (then)).
    197 just didn’t do it (200 is much better)

Avg. 35mpg over the past 2 years.

182 buyers guide in the Evo mag this month.

lunge

Just remember that as it is a Renault the electrics will have a few “challenges” and will likely breakdown at some point.

djglover
    Free Member

What about an Ibiza cupra diesel. 0-60 is not what the renault is, but midrange should be faster and a 160bhp as standard will remap to give 200bhp and more torque than a 911.

They handle superbly too and I’m getting 49mpg on a rush hour commute

PJ266
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a 172 for sale I think…

Raindog
    Free Member

See cliosport.net for 172 / 182 info and ads. I’ve had two 182’s and loved them both. It’s like driving a Jack Russell.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

djg, I’ve driven both and the cupra diesel doesn’t handle anywhere near as well as a 172/182 though.

“because there’s an engine in the back and therefore no space for bikes”

My mate used to get a bike in the back of his…

I’m impressed!

Just remember that as it is a Renault the electrics will have a few “challenges” and will likely breakdown at some point.

renaultsports are built in a different factory (ex alpine in dieppe) to the cooking versions and the quality/reliability does seem to be better.

Raindog
    Free Member

renaultsports are built in a different factory (ex alpine in dieppe) to the cooking versions and the quality/reliability does seem to be better.

Agreed

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Clio 172/182…..or any Clio for that matter?’ is closed to new replies.