Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a Cannon 500D? What do you think?
  • yoshimi

Been looking for quite a while now and this seems to be the one that interests me the most. Does anyone have one and how do you rate them? The other option is possibly a second hand D30, D40 or D50 depending on whether I can find one around my price range.
    Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ask over on http://www.photography-on-the.net – plenty of users over there, some with 4-5 bodies across the ranges and manufacturers that can give you a good rundown of the differences.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Or have a look over on Talkphotography.co.uk..

Geeks with cameras, as oposed to Geeks with Bikes.. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yoshimi

Cheers guys – yet something else to keep me from work – very good websites, many thanks:)

JPcapel
    Free Member

Yes, got 500D.
    Had 400D before.
    Considered 40D, but went with 500D instead as has HD video option.
    Had it about 3 months.
    HD video is excellent – for short bursts of wanting to capture moving image.
    Took some incredibe (IMHO) shots last night in dark conditions, using flash, of a night ride including jumps – am amazed at quality, has caught individual spokes in the wheels in mid-air.
    Is lighter than the 40D (if you intend to carry in your camelbak)
    Standard kit lens is rubbish, buy just the body and a separate lens.
    Am not gifted with a camera, or in understanding how they work, but using it in the spirit of a compact camera, it gives me outstanding shots that make it worth having a DSLR instead of a compact.

yoshimi

Cheers JP, great review there – any advice on lens? think mainly cycling / sports pics and the usual weddings etc

cranberry
    Free Member

I have a 500d winging it's way to me at the moment – can't wait to get my hands on it.

It's going to be bigger than my 350d, so I need to get a bag for it<slight hijack> does anyone know if this clicky will fit the 500d and if it's any good? </slight hijack>

coffeeking
    Free Member

Curious about the review of the canon kit lens, which is normally an 18-55 IIRC? It's rated as one of the best value-for-money lenses available? I dont have one but owning a sigma 18-50 with its shoddy focusing I wish I did!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

its really just the upgrade of the 450d but interestingly enough it does have exactly the same sensor as the 50d. HD movie is a bit gimmiky for me but whatever floats your boat…….As mentioned earlier it pretty lightweight but this is down to poorer build quality and an inferior lens though. For the money it aint bad.

JPcapel
    Free Member

I bought – Sigma DC 18-200mm lens – think about £300(ish) from memory.
    Mean't I don't have to faff changing lens, as this picks up the ability of the kit lens, plus gives me a decent level of zoom, also not to heavier to again fits in camelbak(just).
    Riding related shots have been brilliant with this kit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Cannon 500D? What do you think?’ is closed to new replies.