Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got a Butcher?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Any reports?

chinocchio
    Free Member

Mine does fantastic steaks.

Coyote
    Free Member

His sweet chili sausages are a thing of wonder.

Steaks are also so much better than supermarket too. Even the “Extra Special” range.

scruzer
    Free Member

Well ya did ask…

sweepy
    Free Member

My butcher is called Mr Mustard, true that.

Davesport

Santa Cruz Butcher

I blew a wad on this a couple of months back, so being impartial is’nt going to be easy 😀 What do you want to know ?

D.

kiwijohn

LBS is teasing me with a new frame as my Iron Horse slowly disintegrates.
    The owner got it for himself, but I wouldn’t have to twist his arm very hard. My wife on the other hand…

swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve been narrowing my search down for a while and the butcher is top of the list, only potential drawback i can see is the lack of maxle rear end but i was just after some ‘real’ rider feedabck and comments as oppose to industry blurb.

Intended use will be my regular peak district rides and i suppose the over used all mountain tag actually fits quite well, though i am interested in how it climbs.

If it matters i currently ride a Cannondale Prophet which is generally great but sometimes i feel like like i need a bit more and before that i had a Bullit and i often felt like i needed a bit less.

Davesport

Iniial impressions are that for a 30 lb bike it climbs better than I thought it would. One of my riding buddies commented how little pedal bob he noticed (whilst riding behind me :-)) on his Blur & commented on how good the Propedal setting on the shock was working. Well, I was’nt using the propedal & can’t see me having to. There seems to be quite a lot of anti-squat built into the rear geometry IE high, forward single pivot. I also use the Talas mech for the steep bits. It does make a difference I’d not be without it. It’s never going to keep up with a lighter more XC oriented bike on the up’s but once you crest the summit & start decending the other side of its character comes out. It’s got a slightly slacker head angle than the Heckler & is confidence insiring on decents.

I too thought about buying a Bullit, but probably too much (of a gravity) bike for my kind of riding. I bought this for using at Scottish trail centres & the odd all day epic. I could have reduced the weight a bit by altering the spec but could’nt resist the Fox 36’s 😀 They’re still breaking in & not quite as plush as the floats but a massive step up in rigididty from my old Bombers.

I don’t think anyone’s who’s dropped this amont on a bike is going to give it a slagging, but I’m genuinely chuffed.

I bought it through Stif, who I have to add were great.

D.

Davesport

Forgot to mention about the lack of bolt thru rear axle. I’ve been using a standard quick release axle on my Norco since 2005. I weigh 14 stone & the bike 40 = lbs 😯 Im 48 & a fairly comservative rider, but I’ve not held back from going over drops or step downs & it’s never been an issue for me. Only time will tell.

D.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks Dave

ART

Interested in this too, as this is the only frame at the moment that I can see tempting me off my old heckler – so cheers for the info. 30lbs sounds not bad – what size is your frame Dave?

andrewmoke
    Free Member

ART,

Why not the new Heckler?

ART

Cause there’s nothing wrong with my old one… 😉

swisstony
    Free Member

I’d thought about the new heckler too, esp at the price but i can’t help thinking that simple single pivots are a bit old fashioned, esp as the heckler has been around for so long. I know it’s eveolved and if it’s not broke etc but all my bikes have been single pivots so i also just fancy a change and something new.

Davesport

ART. Sorry about the delay in replying, I thought this thread was long gone. Size large if that’s any help.

D.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Butcher?’ is closed to new replies.