Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone got a Bell Super 2R (non MIPS)?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

I just bought the MIPS version and have realised after wearing it for a while that it creates two uncomfortable pressure points on the sides of my head.

Looking at the inside of the helmet there are two hard grey foam pads at these exact points which are glued very firmly direct to the inside of the helmet and sit underneath the yellow MIPs layer. I reckon if they weren’t there it would fit perfectly.

I’m wondering if these are something to do with the MIPs system. Can anyone confirm if they are present on the non MIPS?

Cheers!

conkers
    Free Member

I haven’t seen a MIPS version so I cannot be completely sure but I will say Yes the standard version does have two very solid and painful pads that skewered my head and were pulled out after the first ride.

borderbloke
    Free Member

I’ve had the non MIPS helmet for nearly a year now and it’s been comfy with no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ichabod
    Free Member

Been doing some research and found this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/bell-super-2r-its-official-939606-8.html

Seems to be a very common problem with the rubber pads. They are apparently some kind of design bodge to make the helmet comply with safety standards. Many people on the thread have pulled them out so I will do the same I guess.

ichabod
    Free Member

from the thread:

“As I said in one of the earliest posts in this thread, when I talked to Bell right after the helmet was first released, they weren’t detailed but told me the pads had something to do with the certification of the full-face aspect of the helmet. From what it’s sounding like, it would seem that they are not installing them in helmets that leave the factory without a chinbar.”

Lester
    Free Member

ive got mips and non mips, the non mips is very comfortable, i havent worn the mips, but ill have a look tonight

kiwijohn

I bought the MIPS as I found the non-MIPS was painful.

dingleberry
    Free Member

I have the MIPS with the chin bar and it came with those pads in. Friend has just got the non-MIPS without the chin bar and it also has the pads.

Both removed and fit so much better without!

bigbloke
    Free Member

I was under the impression from some interweb searching that these pads were added to aid inbetween size fitting??. I bought the same non mips helmet few weeks ago and found it very painful in the same place with my 58cm head so bang in the middle of size. After searching the web I took these two pads out that are held on with a tacky glue. No pain now and fits fine. The older bell helmet is identical inside except that it did not come with the pads in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Bell Super 2R (non MIPS)?’ is closed to new replies.