Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • anyone gone from sky to bt, will i regret it!!
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

long and short is that after a month of haggling with sky they will not do me a decent deal on a new contract, usual thing as a new customer they would charge me 55quid a month and all new kit but as a longstanding customer they want 71quid, clearly being a customer for 18 years counts for nothing to them.

bt will give me their fastest infinity, over 20mb faster than sky, and aprt from not having sky 1, living and atlantic it looks much of a muchness with a new router and a telly box that you can pause and record on.

so anyone gone from sky to bt and hugely regretted it for the lack of TV or just not being as good as sky?

therevokid
    Free Member

Actually loved my move 🙂

zippykona

Just check what your line can take.
    BT promised us a billion whatever a second but our line has a max speed of 7.
    They have caused me so much grief I feel compelled to tell people not to go with them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends what Sky package you had and how much you used it. I was on the very basic sky package and 99% of my viewing was content that was available on Freeview/Freesat, so my move to BT was fine. I miss some of the HD channel content but other than that I find the BT box works better than my Sky box (it was a few years old to be fair) so pretty seamless.

At the time I also downgraded my broadband service from their ultra fast 80Mbps service to their 40Mbps as I was not getting over 40Mbps and along with the 12 month deal I got on the TV package I ended saving even more.

Never looked back since.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Did that move summer 2015 for landline and broadband, no performance complaints, our rental Flat’s internal wiring as temperamental as ever.

We’re paying ~£35pcm for the two, it’s getting very close now whether mobile broadband is the way forward for two of us.

I hope you used Topcashback or similar for the move to BT, it’s ~£100, it’s what made me sign up for tcb in the first place!

plyphon
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Just check what your line can take.
    BT promised us a billion whatever a second but our line has a max speed of 7.
    They have caused me so much grief I feel compelled to tell people not to go with them.

Had a similar experience, but less than 2mb. BT put all the political/paperwork blockers at their disposal to stop us cancelling contract without paying the hilariously large exit fee. Got ombudsman involved.

Eventually BT had a price increase which allowed us to cancel the contract without a fee, but they dicked that up also and claimed we phoned up “to be put on a list saying you wanted to cancel” when we clearly in plain English stated “cancel the contract now”. Couldn’t make it up.

Will never give them a penny again.

(with Virgin now, great 100mb plus speeds.)

kelron
    Free Member

BT fibre was great for me, will depend on your area though. The postcode checker on their site should give you expected and minimum speeds.

Had I think one major outage (ie a few hours) in 3 or 4 years and occasional brief disruptions late at night. Other than that had close to advertised speeds 24/7.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at … genius, hadnt thought of topcashback. thanks.

mildred

This.

We moved house and had to move from Virginmedia to BT. Ours is a listed building so not allowed a satellite dish.

I can confidently say that BT cocked up each and every part of the move to them. There are so many errors that I don’t have the time to write them all here. Here’s a selection:

Booking installations on dates we specifically said were no good for us.
    Charging installations fees twice (once on original order then again on 1st bill)
    Charging us for services we haven’t yet got.
    Charging for equipment we don’t have.
    Not refunding these fees.
    Not refunding equipment fees when we return equipment.
    Never calling back when they say they will.
    Taking weeks to “switch on” paid for channels then charging us for this period.
    Set top box performing auto-updates that totally wipe all your recording s and scheduled recordings.

The list goes on. We were with virgin for 14 years and had to call them twice that whole time.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i like to keep threads tidy in case anyone searching for the same finds it…

bt TV was not so much a disaster but an utter farce.

we went live a week ago today, from moment one we copuld not get the channels we had paid for.

i did a google search and followed the online instructions, nothing.

i then spent over an hour on the phone to a foreign call centre who insisted i did exactly the same again.

when that didnt work i was told that the higher level team would now have to be involved and that they would contact me within 72 hours, also a bt engineer was ordered who would arrive on monday (5 days later).

finding this incredible i phoned multiple times and still no joy. in the meantime the broadband fell way below the guaranteed speed so a new box had to be sent, which it then turned out promptly cancelled the engineers visit.

monday morning, yes you’ve guessed it no higher level team called me, i phoned BT to cancel my subscription. bt however, after being on the phone for well over an hour again, told me that i wasnt allowed to cancel until they had sent out an engineer. i suppose like the one who should have come on monday.

i then had to organise my schedule again so i could be here this morning, the chap came, and basically said there is nothing wrong with your kit its BT who have not activated the service.

gets good now… he called the BT department who can fix it, at roughly 9.10am, and got an automated message saying the department were shut as it wasnt office hours.

he then called another BT department, explained to them what was required, and, he had this on speaker so i could hear, BT told him to report it as a fault on his system and close the file. the engineer very patiently explained that he had dealt with well over 200 instances of this and that it really was a simple thing to sort, BT told him again to close the file.

the engineer then called his manager to ask what to do as he couldn’t believe what BT had said, only to be told to do exactly what BT said.

another 40min phone call for me and BT TV is now cancelled, plus they have got a customer who will now complain about every single drop in broadband speed i get.

in terms of BT Tv itself, content asides, the user interface is awful compared to sky.

as for the super duper most powerful on the market home hub broadband do-dad, in my house the wifi is at best just about equal to an ancient sky router that i was using. certainly the reach is no better.

so yes, i do regret leaving sky TV.

timmys

I’d look at Plusnet + buying your own telly box (if you need one and can’t get by with catch up services).

Plusnet are owned by BT so you get the same service (Infinity Fibre) but customer service and prices are somewhere between the same and much, much better.

Legoman
    Free Member

We moved from Sky to BT. Both as bad as each other but BT was cheaper.

One thing which caught us out… the BT TV box isn’t wireless (maybe they’ve updated this now?), so needs a cable to connect to the BT router. To facilitate this we needed the router in the same room as the TV Box so had to move the phone line from an upstairs bedroom to the lounge, which BT charged us £100+ and royally f*cked up.

martinhutch

so anyone gone from sky to bt and hugely regretted it for the lack of TV or just not being as good as sky?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-joy-of-btpile-of-shit-company-content

What package are you on with Sky that costs 71 quid a month?

vinnyeh

give sky another call, see what they’ll offer. Last year, after cancelling and sitting it out we got 75% off our tv, repeated the process this year, disconnected last week, 60% off the package.
    can’t get as good an offer on fibre broadband, all they’ve give us is £10 off, but also had a letter offering regular unlimited broadband, line rental and basic sky+ tv for about £20 a month- can’t remember the exact figure now.

prawny

I’m agreeing with Vinny again, call sky and ask to speak to the cancellations team, we got a much better deal when doing that.

We moved out Broadband and Phone to BT which has been fine, but I’ve heard horror stories about the TV.

alanf
    Free Member

Legoman – they used to provide home plugs so you didn’t need to shift the router, maybe they’ve stopped doing that.

As a balance, we had BT TV as it was offered for free a few years ago. The box was OK but eventually died so we replaced with a Panasonic. We actually ditched the BT TV after the free year was up as we only used it for freeview stuff anyway so was surplus to requirements.
    The broadband however has been excellent for over 9 years (as BT have let me know recently). We’ve only had a few outages in that time and some of those have been due to utilities cutting the underground cables.

oikeith

repeated the process this year, disconnected last week

When you say disconnected, I tried this with sky last time and then realised a few days before it meant the TV and broadband would be turned off, are you saying youve spent the last week with nothing and are waiting for a call from them?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Apparently, in the new MoneySavingExpert newsletter, BT are planning price hikes on phone and broadband in early Jan… Which you can use to leave penalty-free in the 30-day notice period.

I might start looking around at alternative prices and the Topcashback deals that go with a change, as our BB/phone monthly bill has gone from ~£30pcm to ~£36 over the last 18 months and the awful internal rental flat wiring means we are limited to a temperamental ~20Mbps despite being on Infinity2 (which we took for the “personalised offer” of £14pcm for two years in July 2016).

boxxer7
    Free Member

Left BT broad band and sky TV and went to NOWTV for broadband & TV(Its still sky) as far as im concerned its much better. It cheaper and its the same speed (both Fibre) but the NOWTV router actually works all the time.

Why on earth BT advertise their router is reliable I don’t know mine dropped out and regally needed resetting. I wont even get started on BT’s customer service.

IME i’d look elsewhere.

poah
    Free Member

I switch between them when my contact is up – its the same speed I get.

vinnyeh

When you say disconnected, I tried this with sky last time and then realised a few days before it meant the TV and broadband would be turned off, are you saying youve spent the last week with nothing and are waiting for a call from them?

They’re two separate products that need to be cancelled separately afaik. We only cancelled TV, but even after it finished we could still get some channels- BBC, ITV etc, plus a few others. Broadband is unaffected.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the broadband is actually good, 79mbps at the hub which is almost 3 times faster than i got with sky, and a 12month introductory deal. but i hadnt seen that price hike and its no prb for me to cancel in jan and go elsewhere if i can get a fresh deal.

sky really didnt want to know with us, i think its as we had a basic TV package not one with tons of add ons so we wernt regarded as a valuable customer. the sky though was in my wife’s name so i’m thinking i may try in my name as a new customer. blinking pain though is that to get history and discovery, the only two channels i watch, i have to buy the 25quid/month package not the basic 20quid one.

good old fashioned books are looking far more appealing right now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘anyone gone from sky to bt, will i regret it!!’ is closed to new replies.