Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • anyone gone from guitar to bass and preferred it?
  • racefaceec90

i am toying with the idea of part exchanging my guitar/2 amps towards going for a squier classic vibe jazz bass.as much as i love my lemon drop (guitars in general),i just am no guitarist at the end of the day.

the bass seems like just the instrument for me.i’ll admit that i have only played a bass 20 odd years ago (for about 5 minutes),so have no experience of playing one.

i know that to begin with the bass will be easier to learn to play stuff on than guitar (relatively) 😉

so fellow musos 🙂 how did you find changing to bass (and why do you prefer it,if you did? 🙂

D28boy
    Free Member

Ha Ha

chipps

I play guitar, but I swap to bass for jam nights. Two reasons – I’m not an amazing guitarist and don’t have a huge repertoire, but I’m adequate on bass and can usually bluff most tunes. And there’s never anyone who wants to play bass at them.

fenred
    Free Member

I’ve played both for over 30 years, go thru phases of enjoying each, bit like riding mtb vs road….oh wait, this is the chat forum, do people ride bikes on this bit??? 😉

labsey
    Free Member

People don’t ride bikes on this forum.

I prefer bass. I’ve got a fretless Yamaha and it is beautiful to play. Perfect for jazz. Took a bit of getting used to though. This might be because I’m not a very good guitarist though.

lodious
    Free Member

If you can find a decent drummer to jam with (or failing that, jamming with some type of machine / samples), bass is fantastic. As a solo instrument, i’m not that keen. The thing that makes bass cool is providing the foundations, and if there’s nothing on top, it’s a bit pointless.

thejollybodger
    Free Member

I played guitar for 5 years, then switched to bass about 10 years ago. I prefer the vibe and “funk” of a bass guitar (but of course I will say that!)

Also, I don’t “get” bass players that play with a pick. Playing slap/finger style can add so much more to the sound of a bass.

JB
    Warwick Thumb
    Warwick Taranis Corvette.

chiefgrooveguru

Do you have a habit of air drumming, tapping, nodding your head, generally moving in time to music? If yes, then bass may be for you. But it’s a lot more fun in a band – it requires way more technique to be a satisfying solo instrument than most, whilst in an ensemble you can get away with surprisingly poor technique if you have a musical feel and natural groove.

chiefgrooveguru

Also, I don’t “get” bass players that play with a pick. Playing slap/finger style can add so much more to the sound of a bass.

This divides bassists like 29ers divides MTBers (as does speaker diameter – I’ve written a few articles on that – and string count). I hardly ever use a pick but I do switch between one finger, two fingers, three fingers, three fingers and thumb, thumb up and down (like if it was a pick), backs of thumb and finger nails strumming, thumb slap finger pop, and they get mixed up too. But there are some amazing and atypical bassists grooving pickstyle – Anthony Jackson, Steve Swallow and Bobby Vega come to mind. AJ on For The Love Of Money and BV on I Want To Take You Higher are outstanding displays of picked funkmanship!

iffoverload
    Free Member

picked up the bass as there were allways too many guitarists in the jam session haha
    bought a copy fender for really low price s/h and really enjoyed myself, once my fingers stopped bleeding that is.
    was really great to get back to basic grooves playing funk and it is really satisfying being the “foundation” to the whole sound found it much less demanding than the guitar and was able to relax much more and enjoy listening to everyone much more closely while playing.
    always got to do a couple of numbers on the guitar as well..best of everything.

do it!!

aye-aye
    Free Member

I’m a long time bass player going the other way.
    Bass playing for me is a more relaxed type of musical fun.
    If you’re after a nice Jazz bass i’m selling my made in Japan Squier Silver series bass. It’s early 90’s, sounds great, tons o’ tones, plays beautifully and has loads of character. Best bass I’ve had (G&L, Fender Jazz, Ibanez etc) Easily as good as an 80’s JV series Squier
    Will be very sad to see it go but need a good 6 string guitar.
    Looks like this: (Not mine)

I’m after £300

edayeaye AT yahoo.co.uk

thejollybodger
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru I like your style 🙂 I’m learning a lot from Victor wooten at the moment. Man that guy can play. I just feel that you can’t really get any ‘expression’ from a pick… if I want and aggressive attack to my playing, I use my nails (Or callouses) to get that “clicky” sound.. however I can control it more with my fingers I reckon, easier to mute and dud strings without a pick using up your Thumb and finger. Saying that though, I concede that there are some amazing and memorable bass lines played with a pick.

What I am trying to say though, is if you do make the switch from a guitar to a bass, learn the different playing styles. A bass can be played way way differently to a guitar.. although simalar, they aren’t the same instrument.

tony_m
    Free Member

You do not choose The Bass, The Bass chooses you… 8)

john_drummer
    Free Member

whilst in an ensemble you can get away with surprisingly poor technique if you have a musical feel and natural groove someone hiding backstage who can actually play it.

step forward John Beverley, aka Sid Vicious 😉

seadog101

Recently went the other way a bought a nice uklele, concert size, with peizo pick-up. Been smiling ever since… Back in Black never sounded so much fun!

iffoverload
    Free Member

Bernard Edwards the funk maestro, Stanley Clarke pioneer! 8)

chiefgrooveguru

What I am trying to say though, is if you do make the switch from a guitar to a bass, learn the different playing styles. A bass can be played way way differently to a guitar.. although simalar, they aren’t the same instrument.

Yes, best to treat it more like a double bass, get the bass FUNCTION happening, then start digging into its guitaristic ability! (And then come and buy an awesome bass cab from me… 😉 )

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘anyone gone from guitar to bass and preferred it?’ is closed to new replies.