Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone gone from fox 36/lyric to fox 32/rev on something like a tracer / nomad?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

I'm hoping to get a tracer or nomad soon as my "do it all" bike.

I used to have a fox 36 on my old reign and while it was super stiff on the fast peaks descents/ wharncliffe it was a bit much for trail centres and extended slogs.

As such I was wondering if there really is a significant difference between say a 150mm fox 32 and a 160mm fox 36??

I'm a bit out of touch and not ridden any of the new generation of long travel forks!

Ta muchly!

m_t_b
    Free Member

I went from a fox 36 to a rev 150mm team… lasted about 2 weeks then I went back to a fox 36

once you have a set of 36's its hard to ride with anything else. this is on my 5.5" bike

Dino
    Free Member

U will be wanting some 36 floats
    slightly less portly,
    32,s just look wrong on a tracer

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting- aesthetics aside what was wrong with the fox 32 btw ?

I used to love the feel of my 36's but they are overkill for most of my riding …

Dino
    Free Member

Not just asthetic they are wee bit stiffer
    tracks better as m.t.b says, nothing up with 32,s I have em on my yeti.
    maybe u would be better with a more xc type bike maybe ?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well my dilemma is that say 70% of my riding is in the Peaks (where to be honest a big bike is a lot of fun and not an uncommon site) and the rest consists of occasional DH at wharncliffe and the odd uplift day.

I don't want to be too over-biked but my riding is definitely biased towards going downhill (I endure the climbs) …

Dino
    Free Member

Yep we all endure the up hills,
    I catch ur drift hence the float 36 option good half way house, a little lighter but can still take the stick
    there's a good review on the home page the other day,
    I run 36 vans on my tracer but will try some new floats at some point

stooo
    Free Member

Totally depends on the kind of riding you're doing and the setting on the frame.

Nomad … bit tough, though light, frame…. definitely designed for 36s.

Tracer on the other hand… if it were me, I'd have one in the short travel setting with a set of 150mm rev u-turns on the front. Def wouldn't tough anything without a 20mm axle though.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Anyone else? Any other thoughts?

forgotmename
    Free Member

Devilles from BOS, lots of money tho.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Anyone else compared the fox 36 to the 150mm revs or similar??

Hadge
    Free Member

I was using Talas 32's on my 5.5 Intense and then tried some 36's and they were over-kill for my type of riding. Stiffer by all means but not what a 5.5 needs. For a Nomad the 36's are the ones to go for but I'd try 32's for sure on a Tracer although the 36 Floats would be worth a try.

craig1975
    Free Member

I started of with pikes on my Tracer… which was fine for the type of riding i was doing.. then i got a chance of a set of Lyriks for really cheap.. i bought them and haven't looked back since the tracer is a much better bike in the full 6" set up.. very stable on steep rocky descends and still climbs amazingly well..

one thing to point out though.. stick with a 1 1/8 steerer and go for a zero stack headset.. Ive got a 1.5 steerer which made things a bit tricky on steeper climbs.. Ive just completely resolved this issue by converting my solo airs to Coil u-turn.. now i have the best of both worlds.. stiff plush 6 inches of travel and then crank them down for them steep techy climbs… perfect 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cool thanks,

I'm fairly certain I'm going for a Tracer but am still unsure about forks :-S

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep done this exact switch and like M_T_B I went back (though it was a bit longer than 2 weeks).

I started running coil Lyriks on my Nicolai Helius AM set in 150mm mode (but the geometry doesn't change when you change the travel settings so you still need a 140-160mm fork.

To save weight I went to a Fox 32 Float 150mm with a 15mm QR. From the point of view of actual damping, the Float's were really very good; they were also really good over rocks (I rode the descent down to Rowarth Mill in the Peak at full tilt on them and was impressed by how well they handled this). But two things really narked me with them. The first is that they were really noodly, scarily so, on landings and heavy compressions. Second is that they were just too short, i.e. the axle to crown height, so it dropped the front end and I found the front wheel kept tucking in on me on steep tight corners. That really pis sed me off so I went back to the Lyriks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from fox 36/lyric to fox 32/rev on something like a tracer / nomad?’ is closed to new replies.