Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone gone from ESI Grips back to lockons?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

My ESI Grips are starting to get a bit tatty and falling apart, has anyone gone back to ODI like lock-ons after using ESI Grips?

I find the ESIs very comfy and grippy, but… I still do get sore hands after long descents. Nothing to do with brake position, fork setup, or tyre pressure.

I was considering some ODI Troy Lee’s… anyone got an opinion?

It’s a lot of cash to spooge on grips if they’re not as nice, or comfy.

I have tried the fat ESI grips, but they were a little too fat for me,

Cheers

Ricks

jonba
    Free Member

It might just be because your hands and arms are getting tired. Doing some of the longer lakes descents and my fore arms really start to burn, my arms can be more tired than my legs after some rides.

Those powerball things were all the rage a while back to improve you forearm and wrist strength.

FWIW I run lockons on my hardtail as they are tougher and esi on my nice bike. I quite like the Superstarcomponents ones but they are no where near as soft.

Maybe some gel gloves?

amplebrew

Not lockon’s, but I went from Esi’s to Odi Attack grips on my rigid Dekerf and so far I’m impressed.

They’ve been a lot comfier than the Esi’s, but I don’t think they’ll last as long.

I changed as I had the same issue as yourself on a recent trip to Aviemore.

rickon
    Free Member

Those ODI attacks look a bit suspect 😯

I doubt it’s upper body strength, or wrist strength, I used to do *a lot* of upper body, forearm and wrist work when I was training for climbing.

I do wonder whether the ESI grips have just worn out, and I need a new pair. Hard to tell without having a new pair on there….

amplebrew

rickon – Member
    Those ODI attacks look a bit suspect

All in the mind 😉

I’ve been quite impressed by them. I’ll see how the fare over the summer to see if I want to go back to Esi’s.

j40aja
    Free Member

I changed from ESI Chunkys to their Extra Chunky version and they are the dog’s danglies!

RealMan
    Free Member

Changed from racer’s edge to ssc grips as I knew I was just going to tear them to pieces from crashing.

akak
    Free Member

If I did change from ESI it would be Renthal kevlar lock-ons but I wouldn’t expect them to be more comfortable – just more durable.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I taped up the hole in my ESI’s… 😀

CaptainSlow

I went from esi chunkies back to odi lock ons. They’re the big thick rubber ones, can’t remember which ones but they’ve more padding than the Esi’s.
    I don’t think I’d bother with esi again.. More faff to get on and off and not noticeably more comfortable.. The best bit about them for me was their width. Another inch on my odi’s would be cool.

stevied
    Free Member

ODI troy lee’s are very nice. Plenty of grip and quite soft. Much better than the Ruffian’s I had on before..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from ESI Grips back to lockons?’ is closed to new replies.