• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Anyone gone from A6 / E class to Skoda Superb?
  • dantsw13

Compared to my XC90 it will be space age – I got the old model nearly 25% off!!

mudmuncher

I popped into a Skoda garage today.

Quite a contrast to the Merc/Audi garages! There were no pastries or freshly ground coffee on offer. The salesguy’s teeth looked like they’d never seen a toothbrush, they were literally skoda green and the place was dingy and depressing. The superb I looked at was ok inside, though perhaps a bit bland. As I’ve got an e-class bike rack gathering dust in the garage, I’m thinking I should just go for a secondhand Merc.

andyl – Member
    How did you find the mpg around town? I ended up with a normal diesel as I wanted to tow (but probably wont now!)

I don’t think you are missing much not getting the hybrid – It is more of a trick to get lower Co2 and tax. In reality the extra weight probably offsets any mpg advantage. It wasn’t any better than previous A6/5 series diesels

dantsw13

Any opinions on pcp deals on used cars? Surely financing an a car that has already depreciated should be good?

curto80
    Free Member

Manufacturer PCP “deals”!are usually hideously expensive on used cars. You’re better off getting a loan from a reputable high street bank.

Alex

My probable target is a midsize SUV over 4 years, under £400 s month, for 15000miles / yr . A Skoda Kodiaq Edition or Xtrail Tekna seem to be the top contenders. VAG/BMW/Volvo are a LOT more.

My 5 series touring was quite a bit less than that for 17k miles per year. Discounts were very high for cars they wanted shifted before Xmas. Obviously spec is more limited. Kodiaq would be a new order so not a direct comparison.

Any opinions on pcp deals on used cars? Surely financing an a car that has already depreciated should be good?

You’d have thought so, but the m/f don’t see it that way. EG. BMW were offering 2.9% on new and an amusing 10.9% on used. Audi were better but there was still a big gap. It doesn’t make sense to me either but even the web based PCP deals were around 5.9%. I assume it’s back to incentives to shift new cars.

Poopscoop

Best of both? Is, that is a Skoda. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I don’t think you are missing much not getting the hybrid – It is more of a trick to get lower Co2 and tax. In reality the extra weight probably offsets any mpg advantage. It wasn’t any better than previous A6/5 series diesels

That’s good to know.

I really think you will regret a Superb if you enjoy the E-class. Mine was £51k when new, I paid a fraction of that but it still feels better (IMO) than a brand new Superb (but some people really rate VAG interiors, I just don’t get them). If you can stretch to one of the newer 200hp E220s (new engine, rounded rear lights, new huge sat nav) then the economy is supposed to be a step up again over the original and first facelift engines but they will still be quite new and pricey.

jamj1974

The newest Superb is a very nice to be. Several long journeys in a mates and it is smooth, comfortable and has great specification in his top of the line model.

Is it as nice as my 2016 A4 or my previous 2012 A6? Probably not. Still lovely, but plastics are definitely less tactile and the interior design is not as sharp. Would I drive one? Yes, if it was significantly cheaper per month than the equivalent VW or Audi.

chestrockwell

Usually not much point as most manufacturers will offer you either dealer or manufacturer deposit contributions. Many will offer both which when added to the higher interest rate on second hand make them no cheaper.

somouk
    Free Member

Remember that the A7 and A6 are due for replacement in 2018 where as the Superb is already on a newer platform.

This is probably why Audi are throwing money at the order book, the C7 A6 is getting on a bit now.

I’ve got a 66 plate 3.0 one and have had cars from all of the VAG stables over the years but this A6 eats miles in comfort, loads of room and economy is excellent. Mine is Ex Audi press car so has a good spec and was dirt cheap, definitely worth pushing Audi on some of their stock cars for deals.

Nico
    Free Member

I popped into a Skoda garage today.

Quite a contrast to the Merc/Audi garages! There were no pastries or freshly ground coffee on offer. The salesguy’s teeth looked like they’d never seen a toothbrush, they were literally skoda green and the place was dingy and depressing. The superb I looked at was ok inside, though perhaps a bit bland. As I’ve got an e-class bike rack gathering dust in the garage, I’m thinking I should just go for a secondhand Merc.

I popped into Pret today. They weren’t offering PCP deals on cars.

My local Skoda shop is absolutely full of glitz and the service is friendly (but really slow). Loads of people wearing ties wandering around aimlessly. I only go there to get parts from my very old Skoda. The place I bought that from was also fairly smart, but small, with brilliant service. The point being that Skoda dealers aren’t generally shabby, and a few years back they were getting good ratings from the JD Power type surveys, much better than Audi, VW or Seat dealers.

Having said all that I’ve been in a few Superb taxis and they feel better than a Mondeo but not as nice as an Audi or Merc. But you can see all that for yourself. What is harder is anticipating the experience a year or two down the line. I think I’d go for a posh brand if the price was anywhere near.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from A6 / E class to Skoda Superb?’ is closed to new replies.