Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone gone from a Soul to a one size smaller BFe
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Stuck in a proper conundrum trying to work out If I need the same size or if a smaller size might be more fun.

Anyone gone for it? I've chatted to Robbie about it and he says a Small BFe would compliment a Medium Soul but a conversation with someone who's opinion I value got me thinking and now I'm back to square one.

The big difference is I'm gonna go from a 70mm stem to a 50mm and lose half an inch on the top tube – so overall I'm gonna lose about 30mm on the cockpit size. This will put my weight more over the back end which for downhill will be fine as I'll be riding the front end but on the flat / uphill sections the front wheel won't be weighted as much and I don't know how much of an issue this might be (having not ridden one and without a demo model near me).

simon1975

JonEdwards on here has done. He might be along later to tell you about it… He seemed to be loving his small BFe at Afan this Easter 🙂

He's posted something in here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hardtail-with-160mm-forkswhat-is-there#post-1279663

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bushwacked I had the same issue last week. I eneded up asking JonEdwards as well (very nice chap, local to me and can really ride a bike so he knows what he's talknig about).

He has a small BFe but he also has a medium Simple and a Soda! He advised me that if i wanted the bike to be anything other than a play bike, then at my height (5' 11") I should get a medium, whether that be a Soul or a BFe (I was undecided at the time, ended up ordering a BFe)

He said he order his BFe in a small deliberate to compliment his medium other Cotics. Here's what he said:

"I'm 5'10" and usually ride medium Cotics – I have a Soda and a Simple as
    well, but I deliberately bought the Bfe as a small, as I wanted a
    chuckable bombproof play/dj/dh hardtail. It's actually turned out to be
    a chunk more versatile than that – with Pikes (or 2010 Revs) it works
    pretty well as a trail bike, so long as the ups aren't too technical
    (the bottom gear of 36/32 is the limiting factor, especially on flat
    pedals), Lyrics, and it's an absolute hoot DH, especially if it's
    techy. "

Hope that helps and Jon, hope you don't mind me quoting you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you want to use it for dirt jumps thne go for the size down, or even 2 sizes down. I have a 17.5" cos Im 6'2 and i ride xc on it aswell, but if i wanted one purely for jumps i would have got a smaller one. They are quite a long bike.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

If you are getting rid of your soul let me know ! 😉

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

Sure you'd be losing 30mm on your cockpit size but a medium (16") BFe is still quite a long bike and with adjustable forks can hack round most trails.

Why do you want to replace the soul with a BFe?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not replace – compliment

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

<qoute>Bushwacked – Member
    Not replace – compliment
    </quote>

The BFe geomatry is that similar to the soul if you bought a 17.5" Beefy you'd just end up with a heavier version of what you alreday have.

I'm presuming your ~5'11 if you ride a medium Soul, go for the smaller 16" BFe, it's chuckable and great for hooning about on for everything short of the long all day epics, which you have the the Soul for…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm just under 6ft but my thoughts exactly

mboy
    Free Member

I'm presuming your ~5'11 if you ride a medium Soul, go for the smaller 16" BFe, it's chuckable and great for hooning about on for everything short of the long all day epics, which you have the the Soul for…

Yup, my thoughts too…

B, I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to sell one, if not 2 bikes currently, and buy a small sized BFe frame and built it up… I nearly bought one when they first came out, wish I did actually. But it's never too late I suppose.

What you planning on building yours with?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ears are burning here… 😀

Anyway.As I've been quoted above, I've got both – Med Soda + 70mm stem and BFe with 50mm. I'm 5'10".

The Soda is my "classic" xc/trail bike and fits "correctly" (whatever that means).

The BFe was bought as a small to go alongside the Soda as a DJ/4x/Alps/hooligan effort that I could throw down or off stuff without any real regard for its safety. Hence going for the smaller frame.

As far as climbing goes, it's not too bad as you do actually end up sat in the same place on the bike relative to the back wheel. When it gets steep (up) you're a long way over the front though, so it's bloody hard work on your upper body. The real downside is that it's really difficult to ride DH with the saddle at full XC height, as it puts you far too far over the front again. Once the saddle is out the way, it's a complete hoot, and when I'm on form I can have an enormous amount of fun on it.

If you're going to be running a Soul as well, then yeah, why not go for a small BFe as something different. Only bike – then probably stick with the med.

Hope that helps!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Will be keeping the Soul – Think small will be best to go for.

suppose if I don't get on with it I can always sell and get a medium. Other way round and I'd never know.

Mboy – thinking 130 revs until I can afford something longer.

mboy
    Free Member

Sounds good B

Soooooooo tempted still! What else can I sell, just to buy the frame even… Think I'd rob all the bits off my Giant at the moment just to build one up!

crocodilian
    Free Member

Just bought one off here in orange, medium. Waiting for the Lyriks to arrive and then I'll be happy and out for a charge!
    For the record, I'm 6'3" and it will fit fine.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Right – its gonna be a small. Just need to save the cash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone from a Soul to a one size smaller BFe’ is closed to new replies.