• This topic has 138 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • anyone gone from a BMW to a Skoda and regretted it ?
  • Kryton57

A 3 series touring front end would just be a 3 series front end, and make no mistake, the 3 series isn’t massive but it is significantly bigger and more comfortable (for those of average size and above) than a 1 is. The 3 series touring in efficient dynamics spec has to be one of the most versatile and best value vehicles out there. The last one I had returned 60mpg even with old leadfoot here driving it!

As I said you’re understating it. I’m almost 6ft not skinny adult, and there’s loads of room for me. Part of the 20cm loss to the 3 series is in the back seats, a couple of cm in the front and the rest on the boot granted but I’d fit with my own front seat adjustment no problem. They are very different to the original shape. I wouldn’t say it’s significantly bigger – I test drove several. I’d say it’s marginally bigger.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Octavia’s aren’t bad cars at all, provided you have never owned a 3 series. Tick the ‘just as good as’ and ‘same engine as an Audi but £4k less’ boxes when you order it to ensure your a hoot at dinner parties.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well I’m a similar size to you, and I was in agony after an hour in a 1 series. It’s narrower as well as shorter (as you would expect) and 360L boot space is really tiny.
    It’s a good little car, but a decent alternative to a 3 it is not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikertroid
    Free Member

@Renton

I’m sure they’ve great acceleration and have all sorts of gizmos to torque vector the hell out of the nightmare but I’ll stick with nice and simple RWD thanks.
    I had the misfortune to test drive a V50 T5 Polestar (Basically a previous model Focus ST/RS? Estate) and after 200 metres I knew that decent horsepower through the front wheels wasn’t for me. Awful car.

I would, however, be interested in a 4wd VRs in the future or even the 1.8TFSi 4wd which was rapid; I think they’ve discontinued that model sadly. I’m no badge snob, just I’ve discovered nice-to-drive cars in my middle age.

renton
    Free Member

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/octavia-vrs/first-drives/2016-skoda-octavia-vrs-revo-technik

It does say it needs a clever diff from the 230 but the chassis copes well with it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Renton,

You go for it! 😀

renton
    Free Member

Ha no chance. I find it fast enough as standard.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Bit late to this…

I’ve got a diesel vRS as a company car and it’s really good but very dull but in my mind no duller than the diesel BMW’s Audi’s etc that were an alternative. It’s good because it’s brisk enough, is really big, pretty well specc’d etc. It’s a competent car and is pretty comfy. The quality is fine and is a big step up from my previous Ford but I don’t think it feels as solid as our 330. I’ve got the hatch and it’s pretty vast although I wish I’d got the estate because I think it’s better looking.

It’s not fair to compar an Octavia to a 5 series because they’re a different class of car. A chap at work has just gone from an Octavia to a 520d and keeps trying to do the same…trouble is one was £23k and the other £42k. The Superb is a big step up for the Octavia but is bloody vast. I can’t believe how big they are.

As for space, BMW are the masters of the reverse tardis (massive on the outside and diddy on the inside). I’m a big fan but struggle to get excited over the four pot engines. Their big deli you point for me was the six pots. I’d struggle to choose a X20 over the alternative VAG car. However the X30/5 is a no brainer for me. The current 8 speed gear box is rather impressive too.

If you go into the change with your eye open, then there’ll be no disappontment. There will be cost savings because it’s a cheaper car (although BMW do this too if you look hard enough and the nine M Sport cars have some pretty nasty leather on the steering wheels and gear stick).

Kryton57

@wrecker it’s 200mm shorter and only 50mm narrower. Harder a huge decrease, it’s not the tiny hatch you are making it out to be which is the common misconception from those stuck with the mk1 in mind is my point to others reading the thread.

I wanted and would still quite like a 3 series, but my point was the surprising relative practicality of my car has made it less of a rush.

Anyway, each to their own of course.

iainc

Test drive in Superb SEL Estate booked for this week coming.

Need to then decide – 4×4 Superb estate (SEL 150 diesel) or another 520d Tourer. The cost difference isn’t so vast now as BMW are chucking a load into PCP deals as it’s an outgoing model next summer…probably less than £45 a month between them….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not sure if I posted this here but we had Superb Estate as a taxi and it was very nice, leather interior, quiet at motorway speeds, big boot and very comfortable in back.

Now that being said £45 more for the BMW I would go for that assuming it drives ok with a 2 litre with the caveat that I generally like 4×4 for winter/snow grip. Depends if thats a factor for you

prawny

We’ve just been doing a major trawl of the local car supermarkets looking for a replacement for our focus. Contemplated an Octavia or Superb, but the Octavia was disappointing inside and the superb was just too big, do you need that amount of space?

We ended up with a 320d ED, it was the only £10k 3-4 year old car that the interior still felt fresh in consistently. I’d go for a 5 or a 3 tourer if I was having a company car (320d ED would be tax efficient!) the 3 is smaller than the Golf estate et al but it’s big enough unless you’re regularly lugging big loads (fnar)

mightymule
    Free Member

I went from a BMW (saloon) to a Jaguar X-type (saloon). All I can say is that the Jag makes the Beemer seem like a tractor – and not even a nice tractor!
    I would imagine there would be a similar comparison between the estates – and since they seem to be similarly priced on the second hand market, it might be worth a look.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The new Superb 280 4×4 looks a nice option. Nice and stealth too unlike the VRS which looks like they’ve been to Halfords to bling it up.

iainc

^^^ yeah ! I’d be going for the sensible 150 diesel though 😀

mikertroid
    Free Member

Iain,

I’m looking a while down the line but maybe in 3 years one of those will be a cracking S/H purchase. Unless there are good deals on finance.

iainc

Yeah, mine will be purchased new, fits into car allowance scheme through work.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I’m on my second Superb, both were the Greenline elegance edition and both from new – current one is 2 years old. I have also had an Audi A4 S Line and 2 BMW’s before: 320d estate and a 325 coupe a while ago. Guy at work has a 5 series basic saloon and i wouldn’t swap my Superb for that, as its poorly equipped and pretty small by comparison, but i would swap it for a better model because its nice to drive. I find the Superb better in every way than the Audi and BMW equivalent, except – they both looked better I have to admit. I really like the Superb’s I have had and the only reason i won’t have another is i just fancy a change. IN fact, I might chance one of those Kodiaqs next year

iainc

Useful info, much appreciated. I have been wondering if I will find the Superb interior to be lower quality, when in SEL spec, but sounds maybe not. Current 5 Tourer is basic spec, SE, but has good level of kit, only added thing the Skoda has is satnav.

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘anyone gone from a BMW to a Skoda and regretted it ?’ is closed to new replies.