• This topic has 138 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • anyone gone from a BMW to a Skoda and regretted it ?
  • iainc

Currently have a 5 Tourer as a company car which goes back end of the year. I will be getting an allowance rather than another company car, which would allow me to replace with another ‘premium brand’ new estate, on a monthly PCP, maybe an A6 Avant or the new 5 Tourer if it’s out by then. Have also looked in passing at Passat Alltrack, which costs similar with leather etc.

For a chunk less each month I could have a high spec Superb Estate, which has got all the same toys.

Question is, will I wish I was in the premium brand one, do they actually feel/drive any different ?

I am a sedate 50 yr old driver, so not looking for particular performance, more after comfort, toys, space for kids and family stuff. Bikes will be on roof.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Such a badge snob…… 😆

wwaswas

I’d sit in the front and back of a Skoda. 5 Series are *huge* and you’ll notice the lack of space if you switch. Have a test drive, see how it feels. If you’re only keeping it 3 years then I don’t think stuff will deteriorate that much.

iainc

nobeer ^^^^ 🙂 If I really was, I’d not be asking now, would I.

My kids, on the other hand…… 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want toys, you’ll get far more on a cheaper brand for your money. Test drive the Skoda, is the obvious answer.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Superb is known for being MASSIVE and the magazines all love it. I don’t think you’d find it lacking in luxury – Top Gear magazine were comparing it to an E Class a few months ago.

iainc

wwaswas – I actually sat in a Superb Estate in a showroom the other day. Front area seemed similar in space to 5, the back seat space was bigger than the BMW and boot big too. Never driven one tho..

wwaswas

cool, I’ve never been able to bring myself to get within 6ft of a skoda so had no idea how large they were 😉

br
    Free Member

For a chunk less each month I could have a high spec Superb Estate, which has got all the same toys.

FWIW a few years ago I went from a company BMW 530i to a company Vectra 2.2i (both auto and petrol).

Yes, the Vectra wasn’t a patch on the BMW, but I was nearly £100 per week NET better off through allowance and tax savings. Basically meant that my wifes’ new Freelander was free. 🙂

After two years I did go buy my own s/h 535i though, as the tax/allowance situation meant it was about the same price as a company Vectra.

craigxxl
    Free Member

They are in a different leagues in both build quality and refinement. The more I drive my Octavia the more that I appreciate the wifes BMW.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Bimmer, premium car, premium cost.
    skoda, great value, great cost.

cp

I’d look at the Superb – a real cavern of a car. 4×4 & high specs, they’re nice!

angeldust
    Free Member

Don’t be fooled, the BMW is in a different league to the Skoda. Whether you care/notice these differences will be down to your expectations.

benp1

Will you prefer the beemer? Yes, of course. They cost more for good reason. For starters, it’s a SKODA

BUT, and a BIG but

It’s cheaper, so you’ll have more cash in your pocket. That might mean you don’t regret it as you’ll be compensated for it.

You’ll struggle to find someone who prefers a Superb over a 5 series if it was a straight choice. The bigger question is whether the money you save will be worth it

Personally, unless you have rules on a particular car, or you do huge mileage, I’d take the cash and buy a used car instead

craigxxl
    Free Member

Try test driving one that is a few years old and see what’s rattling, vibrating and not sealed. Car magazines are great at reviewing new cars that have had extra inspections before the journalists get hold of them. Also take into account the dealers who for Skoda are great at selling but after that don’t give a toss.

dannybgoode

I had a lengthy (1hr +) taxi ride in a Superb and thought it was very nice.

Have been in plenty of 3 series but not a 5. Yes the fit and finish is excellent but, if I was in the market for that type of car, would I buy one. Probably not bit would depend on the test drive as I’ve only been a passenger in both but from the Co pilot seat the Superb was plenty nice enough.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

In my experience, the vast majority of car dealers are pretty poor once you’ve left a deposit, regardless of marque. In terms of customer feedback though, Skoda rates highly.
    The Superb is massive and a great car; check out discounts on drivethedeal etc.
    I’m not convinced that the Skoda is any worse ‘built’ than most other cars. Sure, the plastics might not be quite so squashy, and the design not quite so modern, but they’re great cars. I’d strongly advise a test drive, see what you think.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Superb is known for being MASSIVE and the magazines all love it. I don’t think you’d find it lacking in luxury – Top Gear magazine were comparing it to an E Class a few months ago.

Yeahbut, the magazines get to give them back after a few days. They don’t have to spend three years with an eyesore on the drive, or p1ssheads shouting “Taxi” at them.

They are in a different leagues in both build quality and refinement. The more I drive my Octavia the more that I appreciate the wifes BMW.

nuff said!

renton
    Free Member

I am more than happy with my 16 plate Octavia vrs. The fit and finish of everything is really good and it feels pretty solid.

A mate has a superb se-l and its a very nice motor. Nice and quiet and very refined.

Had a test drive of another mates 65 plate passat the other day and its near enough the same as my octy inside.

Most of the newer skodas,vw seat etc are all built on the mqb platform.

A superb is bigger than a 5 series.

pictonroad

Yep, 320d to Octavia. It’s a completely different car, BMW was better in every single way. Yes, when I see one I do miss it, but, money talks and it’s a big saving.

Skoda is a lot cheaper though, and so it should be.

Drac

We had a Skoda for a couple of months whilst our Golf was in for repair. Fairly well specced but cheap nasty interior, uncomfortable, handling wasn’t great and gutless. Fine for popping around town I suppose. Mind it was a Fabia petrol thing and a lower range one so maybe the others are better.

Smudger666

Drac – new superb is not to be compared with the Fabio – different class altogether.

I had a 59plate superb from new – great car. I’ve not owned a Beamer so can’t compare directly, but it was commented on by anyone who was in it – especially t he rear legroom. No dramas in the three years I had it.

Test Drive is the answer though.

renton
    Free Member

Pictonroad what Octavia do you have ?

The new superb is quite new and a step up from the old one.

Pyro

Will you prefer the beemer? Yes, of course. They cost more for good reason. For starters, it’s a SKODA

Not sure you can state outright what someone else will prefer, you know that old term ‘YMMV’?

I’d prefer the Skoda given the chance. Couldn’t bring myself to drive a beamer. You know what they say about the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog? ‘s true…

iainc

Couldn’t bring myself to drive a beamer. You know what they say about the difference between a BMW and a hedgehog? ‘s true…

How very helpful 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

The superb is meant to be better than the Octavia, but I have to admit I was disappointed with an Octavia I was a passenger in, it was a VRS with all the bells and whistles but it had a lot more wind noise and the dash etc was more plasticy etc I’ve got a top of the range Exeo which has the same interior as an A4 and an “acoustic windscreen” whatever that is, but the Skoda felt cheap, but of course they are cheap I’m still probably going to get one in Dec.

wilburt
    Free Member

I went from a BMW to a Alfa to a Audi to a Skoda.

There all poisonous shit boxes only idolised by nobheads but hard to get by without so the least offensive is the best choice…IMO 🙂

For your needs a Superb has it covered.

alibongo001

I think there may be a third way – loosen up the criteria and see what is on offer with the lease companies

Recently there have been some crazy deals – 520 msports for mid £200 per month

Mercedes are very good value through the lease companies

There is a good thread on Best lease car deals on the Pistonheads.com website – have a look and see what appeals?!

renton
    Free Member

P Jay was it a current vrs you went out in ?

There all poisonous shit boxes only idolised by nobheads but hard to get by without so the least offensive is the best choice…IMO

How very charming !!

renton
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call this plasticky…..

TheFlyingOx

I’ve just upgraded to a 2011 Skoda Superb Elegance estate from a 2002 Pug 406 diesel so obviously it’s going to feel a lot nicer, but….

My family all drive much swisher cars than me (there’s a 330i, a Subaru BRZ and a Jag F Type S in there) but I honestly think they’re all less nice places to sit than the Skoda. Granted the Jag is fairly special, but it’s not as comfy as the Skoda. And the Skoda is HUUUUGGGGGEEEEE inside. All the toys you could ever want plus a few you didn’t know you did. It honestly feels like a premium car.

As others have said: test drive one. I think you’ll be surprised.

kcal

I like the idea of “good enough” reflected in our Octavia. Had had a couple of Saabs before, and the Octavia ticked all the boxes for decent performance, economy, space, accessories (all right, couple missing after being used to Saab level of trim).

But quite happy to pay a bit less to get a bit more.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We have the Superb SE Business and I am very impressed with it.

Drives well, brilliant car to be in as a driver or a passenger and the boot is HUGE!
    Enough toys, but the L&K version is the one to go for if you really want everything.

Would I pick the Skoda over a BMW? Yes – unless it was a high spec BMW, in which case it is likely to be far more expensive.

The 150PS diesel engine is pretty good, but needs revs to get the best out of it. It is a big car and handles well for a big car, but isn’t a hot hatch.

The 190 needs AdBlue (never used it, so not sure how much of a hassle this is) but doesn’t offer that much more than the 150 and I have heard the 270 is a peach.

Also, for what is it worth I thought our previous 2007 Octavia 4×4 was a pile of crap in every way.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I don’t get the BMW thing personally. I have mates that have them (3 series) and yes they look nice, but they are not “that” amazing inside IMHO. I like my ’14 plate Superb 😀 it was reasonably priced, it’s comfy and it’s huge; a win in my books 😀

cp

my boss has a ’61 plate 5 series, and I don’t like it at all – i think it feels naff inside, just about everything creaks – dash, front seats, rear seats and the switch gear feels clunky. Steering seems devoid of feel as well. I don’t get what everyone raves about them.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Off topic – but if you’re moving to an allowance look at the outgoing e class tourer. Shit as a company car given cost to tax but you can lease one for £250 a month, it’s an absolute bargain compared to other things.

wilburt
    Free Member

There all poisonous shit boxes only idolised by nobheads but hard to get by without so the least offensive is the best choice…IMO
    How very charming !!

I did put a smiley face after which makes it alright.

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve gone from VAG cars to BMW and regretted it.

The ride is too hard (M Sport), too noisy on the motorway and doesn’t even have a auto dimming rear view mirror. That’s a 63 plate!

I’ll be going back to VAG and most likely either Skoda/SEAT or at a push VW when I can get rid of this beemer.

It does drive well though and the auto gearbox is pretty damn good apart from hunting gears between 50 and 60.

imnotamused
    Free Member

I’m one of the seemingly few Superb owners on here.

It’s massive, really massive. The space in the rear footwell makes the 5 series space there feel like the back of a Nissan Micra.

As for the rest, it’s a lovely refined big car. Good to drive, good to carry, good value.

Suburbanreuben said they were worried about having the eyesore on the drive and being shouted ‘taxi’ at, I feel sorry for you. That sounds like a shit life you have if you need to worry about that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘anyone gone from a BMW to a Skoda and regretted it ?’ is closed to new replies.