• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kbomb.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone gone back to mtb spds on their road bike?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Considering doing this, I’ve got look keo pedals on both road bikes at the min, but despite years of using them I’m still a lot slower to get into them than I am my Shimano spd pedals on my mountain bikes.

It will mean getting some decent xc race type shoes for using on the road, but I’m fed up of waiting for gaps at junctions because I might miss a clip in.

Any draw backs from running mtb spds on the road?

Any suggestions of good shoes for the road that are mtb spd?

oldtennisshoes

Go for it – I guess the purists talk about having a bigger platform to get the power down easier, but stiffish shoes should mean that there is little difference. Unless you are racing, I’d not worry.

chilled76
    Free Member

I do plan on racing next year. Just a few local crits.. but that is also spurring me on. Don’t want to be left standing with everyone flying into the distance with me fumbling about trying to clip in.

Duck it. Xtr pedals on the good bike and xt on the training bike.

Anyone recommend some shoes, don’t think my dx ones will look right!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My last road bike with SPDs was ~20 years ago, the gave my knees hell! I’ve used my pair of Time ATAC XS Carbons since 2006, still going strong, unlike the numerous failures of modern batches.

Still using the Shimano SHM121G shoes bought back then too, but they are ~800g for the pair, these days half that weight is possible!

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve always used mtb pedals on the road, dont need different shoes then. Not noticed any problems.

Time pedals also.

Superficial
    Free Member

Learn to trackstand? Ride in places without junctions? Lean on signposts / barriers etc?

I basically never find I need to unclip mid ride.

#answeraquestionyouneverasked

timba
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used MTB SPDs on my MTB and road bikes, I’ve always got spare pedals on hand that way
    I’m not bothered about the latest oven-baked CF shoes, which are way down my list of things that would improve my cycling, reasonably priced comfort is fine. And I only need one pair of winter boots for the commute/training and MTB

LittleNose
    Free Member

I use MTB pedals:
    – easier to clip in
    – use the pedals I took off the MTB (gone to flats)
    – I can walk in the shoes

only downside I can see at my level is that they’re slightly heavier.

toofarwest

MTB pedals here too, using Shimano ME5s in the warmer weather and I only need one pair of winter boots between both bikes.

submarined
    Free Member

All I’ve ever run. I need some winter boots for them though.(Currently using AM5s all year round!)
    As above, means I just need one type of shoe for the road bike and MTB.

As an aside, I can trackstand an MTB just fine, but have real issues on the road bike for to toe overlap.

scotroutes

I’ve always used MTB SPDs (Crank Bros Candys actually) on my touring/winter/commuter bike. I do have Ultegras on my carbon road bike though. I definitely feel more directly “connected” with them but I’m sure any supposed performance gain is all in my mind.

iainc

Time Atac XC 4 on my gravel bike so I can use grippier shoes and winter boots. Time xpresso on the good road bike and track bike. Can’t say I find clipping out the road pedals a problem when I need to, though will often go a whole ride without unclippping if it’s a 25-50 mile loop from home.

scotroutes

will often go a whole ride without unclippping if it’s a 25-50 mile loop from home.

Good point, and the main difference in usage. Out on my “fast” road bike, unclipping is a rarity.

federalski
    Free Member

I had Look pedals on my road bike as well and never really took to them, (since sold the road bike, not cause of the pedals just cause I never really liked it) The year I had the road bike I found it a pain switching between the SPD’s on my cx bike which I used a lot and the road bike.

Living in a city I found I was clipping in and out a lot to get out to quieter roads during my rides and I had a few moments and lost confidence as well. I kept looking for that full revolution you can get away with on the SPD’s when your not quite clipped in on the Looks out of habit, and then slipping on the pedal and having a moment.

For the op I guess you could switch back to SPD’s for general riding then stick the Look’s back on for your race, surely your local crits will only require you to clip in once at the start then that’s you.
    I go to the track now and again and have no bother with the road pedals there as your just clipping in the once.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not that I road bike much but I have some specialized comp shoes – expensive but stiff carbon soles and similar to their roadies shoes, except tread so you can walk in them.

Look 4×4 pedals which are like eggbeaters.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive always used regular mtb SPDs on my road bike … on rides of up to 300km in a day without issue.

the joy being i can walk into a coffee shop and not A – sound like a horse and B not walk like a i need a poop.

stevious

I’d agree with those above that stiff, well fitted shoes will make more difference than pedals.

If you are thinking about racing though, just be wary that you will be more prone to pulling a foot out in a sprint than if you had road pedals.

anagallis_arvensis

Not that I road bike much but I have some specialized comp shoes – expensive but stiff carbon soles and similar to their roadies shoes, except tread so you can walk in them

I have of these that must be almost 15 years old. One of the soles is starting to come away from upper…looked at the cost of a replacement!!!!! Bought some super glue!!

wilburt
    Free Member

I like road spd sl because they make good flats when popping to the shops etc.

I’m looking for some flat/clip double sided mtb pedals at the moment to use on my mtb if theres any recommendations

DezB
    Free Member

MTB spds on my road bikes too. Mainly cos roadie shoes look stupid.

TiRed

My clubmate won the Expert class mtb series, and almost accrued a first cat road race license almost as an aside. He races spds and s-works carbon soled shoes. Doesn’t seem to hold him back!

joebristol

I tried 2 different makes of road pedal – Time and Shimano. The Time broke off at the front so I returned them for a refund. The Shimano ones just keep working but despite years in them I can’t click in quickly at a junction which worried me on my commute.

I can track stand a bit – it’s fine at traffic lights but less fine when trying to pull out of a t junction.

I swapped to some cheap Shimano spds I had lying around (I swapped to flats a few years ago on the mtb) early this year and I find them much better. I don’t do more than about 20 miles at a time on the racer though.

Still got my road shoes and pedals – I figure if I ever sign up for a triathlon / charity sportive I can bang them back on.

Got some secondhand northwave xc shoes for use with spds – got them for about £10 from eBay barely used.

white101

This thread is a good read, I’ve always worn the same shoes on the same pedals for road and mtb. Its so much easier for flipping between bikes and saves a few quid as well. I thought I was some kind of freak

IHN

As others have said, I never went back to MTB SPDs on the roadie as I never went away from them.

Time ATACs FWIW, fancy pants carbon ones on the nice roady, cheaper metal ones on the commuter and MTB

TiRed

Btw. If you want to race crits, clipping in fast can be a bonus. Double sided spds will help. You can’t win on the first lap, but I’ve seen a few riders race end on the line!

milfordvet
    Free Member

The road Keo pedals are lighter than SPD’s if your gram counting.

There are also 3 different colours of cleat which have different realease presssure.

On balance I’d probably prefer to swap my Time ATAC carbon/ titanium jobbies onto my road bike and walk normally when I stop. I do find especially new road cleats more trouble in and out. Being plastic they seem to wear pretty quick.

I have a difficult busy junction to get accross and clip in time was/ is an issue.

I find it’s worth practicing pedaling one legged for 5-10 meters. Basically at the junction, one foot out for balance and one foot clipped in. After you push off, don’t mess with trying to clip and being stalled on the road junction, just let the foot rest on the pedal and use you clipped in foot all the way round up around down in a circle to keep riding one legged till your accross the junctions and out of trouble then clip in the second foot.

hamishthecat

Am I missing something? I’ve used mountain spd cleats on Sidi road shoes with 520 pedals on the road bike. Why would I need to use mtb shoes?

I’m thinking of going back to mountain spds as I do find them a lot easier to clip into when commuting. Less likely to do the routine of start off from the junction with a pedal upside down only to slip off with painful consequences.

schmiken

My clubmate won the Expert class mtb series, and almost accrued a first cat road race license almost as an aside.

Are you talking about Phil Holwell?

legend
    Free Member

There are also 3 different colours of cleat which have different realease presssure.

Different amounts of float rather than pressure.

Black(?) – no float, good luck knees!
    Grey – standard float
    Red – loadsa float

anagallis_arvensis

Am I missing something? I’ve used mountain spd cleats on Sidi road shoes with 520 pedals on the road bike. Why would I need to use mtb shoes?

So you can walk into the cafe and so you only need one pair of shoes for all bikes.

RustyNissanPrairie

i run M540 mtb spds with these shoes on my gravel/commuter bike
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rt4-spd-touring-shoes/

Simon-E

Been on M520s for 10 years on the old MTB ‘bad weather’ bike, I have fitted the Shimano reflectors that mean the pedal hangs perfectly for fast clip-in during the commute. Shimano A520 single-sided SPDs are good if you want a larger platform. Thankfully neither has ever given me any issues.

kbomb
    Free Member

I also use Time Atac pedals on all bikes. The only downside is sometimes showing up to road rides or races with really muddy shoes, should probably have 2 pairs.

Time XC8’s seem to be the right balance of light weight, robustness and weight, with some cheaper Atac’s on the lesser bikes.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone back to mtb spds on their road bike?’ is closed to new replies.