• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Anyone gone AWOL?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I sort of want a crosser.
    I sort of want a chilled road bike.
    I sort of want a point to point tourer for the odd longer ride.

Do I sort of want an AWOL?

Anyone tried one?

(At the moment it’s this or an ex demo Cervelo R3, which doesn’t really answer any of my wants, but is lovely!)

cloudnine
    Free Member

You need to go look at the tripster thread a bit more

duntstick
    Free Member

Specialized missed a trick, should have fed one to TLR. Maybe they’d have got the desired feeding frenzy associated with his new bikes 🙂

kcal

^ I’ll say Peregrine, teetoosugars will say Vaya / Fargo; 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

I’m really hoping they make the frame set available in the UK for 2015. The complete bike looks like pretty good spec for the money though.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I sort of want a crosser.
    I sort of want a chilled road bike.
    I sort of want a point to point tourer for the odd longer ride.

Sounds like you want a gravel grinder.

(There’s plenty of bikes that’d tick those boxes without feeding the litigation happy twunts at Spesh. That bike’s like buying cargo trousers from Next. And wearing it with a North Face fleece.

Don’t do it.)

Jamie
    Free Member

Hang on. You slated the GT Grade, but like that monstrosity?

nedrapier

I wanted those things; I got a Peregrine.

Fancy a Tripster like all the cool kids, but never when I’m actually riding the Peregrine.

Rode most of DrP’s Brighton/London thing with Conti CX Speeds on last weekend. It was ace.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hahah! Yup, Calum is right..
    Vaya all the way for me..

bentudder

Singular has a very pretty looking Kite disc prototype at the moment:

More pics here.

Mudguard mounts, possibility of running Tubus QR racks, apparently. Currently trying to justify having one and my Tricross…

RustySpanner

Genesis Tour de Fer?

Although why they didn’t use nicer tubing is totally beyond me.

As is the fact you can’t get a triple on a complete Cross de Fer.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Vaya

jamest
    Free Member

I have gone AWOL and really like it, yes it looks like a world war 2 bike but i dont mind that – mine is used mainly for commuting and I plan to use it on some touring stuff at some stage . It’s a very comfortable geometry, steel, well specced – it’s no lightweight but that can be helped with new wheels when these wear out. I think for the money a really good bike

iainc

A mate has an AWOL and loves it. Its a heavy beast, but so is he so doesn’t notice it too much and with the triple it holds its own loaded on touring weekends. Removal of the front rack lightens it a bit. The metal mudguards are heavy too but very effective. A good and very comfy touring bike but sluggish compared to my Croix De Fer which is no lightweight itself

alunhughes
    Free Member

Have been riding my AWOL for about two months, tough beautiful bike very comfortable to ride. Took it on Dunwich Dynamo, smoothed out many a pothole. Have stripped it down for summer commuting and have built it back up for weekend touring with both racks on.
    Aiming to build in a dynamo front hub, great bike and am looking forward to more mileage & more adventures. recommend it

zbonty

I built up a Vaya I bought off here a few months ago. Looks like that but bluer. Hardly ridden it due to other commitments (mrs)

Despite the lack of use I somehow bent the inner chainring, which I replaced today so maybe it will get used now.
    I wanted a bike for longer/ touring rides
    I wanted something that didn’t have 26″ wheels for 1st time since my 1980s racer
    I couldn’t face buying an actual road bike

brianp
    Free Member

Blog of riding down through Spain on AWOL

http://lostonpurpose.co.uk

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m with Teatwosugars, the Vaya is a lovely frame.

brianp
    Free Member

This lady is riding her AWOL 14,000km back home from Germany to Taiwan.
    http://minkahsieh.tumblr.com

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Salsas (and I bet many other of this type of frame/bike) are HEAVY, which I would avoid.

Sam

The Salsas (and I bet many other of this type of frame/bike) are HEAVY, which I would avoid.

If you want a bike to carry a load in rough terrain and not ride like a complete pile of shite then it needs to be somewhat heavy.

Sam

Oh, and the AWOL was conceived and designed by the guy who started and ran Fixie Inc – nice guy with a lot of passion, so it’s not a completely soul-less Big S product….

cynic-al
    Free Member

My Yukon is 1.6kg and reasonably stiff loaded up…and the OP doesn’t mention carrying weight, albeit the AWOL is designed for that.

My point is that touring bikes aren’t huge fun to ride unloaded.

bigblackshed

Kona Sutra?

Lots of 2014 about discounted ATM.

ton

If you want a bike to carry a load in rough terrain and not ride like a complete pile of shite then it needs to be somewhat heavy.

and i am a rougher load than most, hence the reason why my Surly disc trucker suits me………..and any discerning gentleman of a certain age, who is looking for a comfy sedate settee of a bike.
    get one Flash…it will be ace….. 😆

kcal

touring bikes can be fun to ride unloaded, I’d observe. Depends on your expectations maybe; never felt meh when riding mine, and it’s been somewhat abused many a time.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My point is that touring bikes aren’t huge fun to ride unloaded.

I beg to differ..
    Love my Vaya, loaded, or unloaded.

wingnuts

Can’t upload photos (I really must learn) but my solution is a Racelight Gran Fondo TI. Quick to ride when not loaded and ready with rack mounts when I want to do haul. Got a carbon fork in France a couple of years ago that had front pannier rack mounts built in so it can take big loads. Got enough clearance for tracks/bridleways if you haven’t got mudguards on. My go to bike.

drain

Considered a Surly Cross Check or LHT?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member
    Love my Vaya, loaded, or unloaded.

You’d take it out over your road bike?

motorman
    Free Member

As I have no expectations, I find my freakshow LHT to be just the ticket for either loaded touring, or long unloaded day trips. Bike weight comes secondary for me & the comfort factor wins every time.

ThePinkster

Sure you want one, Flashy? Thought you might object to it being a bit ‘grey’ 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You’d take it out over your road bike?

No, but it’s still great fun to ride sans panniers…

onehundredthidiot

Shand.

Stoater
    Stoater ft
    Skinymalinky

Currently top of my want list.

kcal

ah, see I don’t have a ‘road bike’ as such. I did, but sold it and got the Peregrine instead. So for me choice is narrowed (through choice).

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone AWOL?’ is closed to new replies.