Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • anyone going to watch Top Boy CH4 10pm?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Four parter starting tonight, read about it a bit, looks interesting. Seems to have mixed reception so far.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/30/top-boy-reviewed-by-hackney-residents-panel?newsfeed=true

cynic-al
    Free Member

Guardian guide loved it. I’ll give it 5m.

Cougar

Doesn’t sound like my sort of thing TBH. I’m about as far removed from East London black yoof culture as I am from Downton Abbey.

project
    Free Member

Just sounds a stereo typical protrayal of every day life in londonium town, a cheap programe to make, and put over 4 days so those with a short attention span dont forget whats happened the previous week.

yunki
    Free Member

I used to be into that sort of stuff when I was a youf.. I think it would probably just make me feel a bit voyeuristic now..

interesting review in that link though

Kevevs
    Free Member

Interesting to me just to see all the backgrounds where I lived and a representation of a culture that was around me on primetime tv and the language. It’s not what I thought it would be though. it’s interesting though how completely devoid of interest it has on stw. cos its a real world away from downtown abbey or midsommers murders or any mindless anodyne tv blandness of a life that doesn’t exist anymore.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Saw the adverts for it and my initial reaction was “jesus, why would anyone want to watch that from that advert”. The same thought occured on subsequent viewings. Caught 4m of it tonight and it confirmed how dull it was going to be, turned off.

alpin
    Free Member

midsommers murders or any mindless anodyne tv blandness

you leave barnaby alone

Mugboo

So was it worth watching?

donsimon
    Free Member

I thought so, but I all depends on taste, doesn’t it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I watched about 5 mins, but then decided never mind the buzzcocks was a better bet.

DezB
    Free Member

downtown abbey or midsommers murders

…or Doc Martin? 😆

Del

thought it had aspects of ‘the wire’ about it. found it a bit difficult to care about the characters though, tbh.

grum
    Free Member

it’s interesting though how completely devoid of interest it has on stw. cos its a real world away from downtown abbey or midsommers murders or any mindless anodyne tv blandness of a life that doesn’t exist anymore.

Not really, it just wasn’t very good. Managed about 5 mins as well.

trailmonkey

thought it had aspects of ‘the wire’ about it. found it a bit difficult to care about the characters though, tbh.

this.

although in common with the wire i have to say that i did care about the younger kids in it. the inevitability of their lives is pretty heartbreaking really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘anyone going to watch Top Boy CH4 10pm?’ is closed to new replies.