• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Anyone going to Farnborough Airshow
  • SST
    Free Member

My son tells me the Eurofighter was doing low level passes yesterday . . . .

allthepies
    Free Member

That's not the Eurofighter 🙂

And yes, it was.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You get bored of it after 20 years living underneath it!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Isn't the F-35 doing a display this year?

I still can't get my head around calling it "Lightning". It's not a bloody proper Lightning IMHO.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Going on friday :o)

glenh
    Free Member

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN

LHS
    Free Member

Already here and will be all week.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Was watching the Typhoon yesterday but the best display (IMO) was the F22. Awesome.

molgrips
    Free Member

Going on Saturday. Seen lots of Eurofighter last week practising. And Mrs Grips has taken the littleun to the park which happens to be under the flight path 🙂

Personally, cant' wait to see the A380.

rootes1

might go up on tunnel hill etc and have a look from there – used to sit on the roof of Solartron and watch from there..

awesome bits of kit – even if they are designed to kill people..

Vortexracing

The sods have been practicing here at Warton all last week, some of us are trying to sleep at work :lol:, they have no thought for others, bloody flyboys.

jon1973
    Free Member

We're going on Saturday.

Been here six years Peter and haven't got bored of it yet – always fascinates me. We've watched (restricted view) it from the garden the last few times, so I though it was about time we went.

cinnamon_girl

No way. 😯

Even this girlie finds it exciting. 8)

Edric64
    Free Member

We did Yeovilton last week because it's local .Did the Vulcan fly at Farnborough?

nuke

I'm going on the Saturday with my son…we're both looking forward to it. 🙂

theotherjonv

Can you get a decent enough view from the bench at the top of TH? I'm working at home today and will be splitting my shift / extending my lunchbreak (oh- call it like it is – nicking off for a ride for a couple of hours this pm to coincide with the display this afternoon) TH would be good for a mix of riding and looking if you can see well enough from there. Other option was Minley?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No way.

Even this girlie finds it exciting.

But you don't live underneath it! No, you don't. I do. And it's the same thing, EVERY time. I've been twice (Freebies) and it's great if you're seriously into aeroplanes, but pretty boring otherwise. And the interesting stuff can be seen from Farnaborough Road anyway. It's impossible to hide it, there were plenty people out there yesterday just after 4pm!

might go up on tunnel hill etc and have a look from there

Ceasar's Camp in Aldershot is the best palce to be. You're right at the end of the runway! 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

But you don't live underneath it! No, you don't.

I do. Just around the corner far from the stadium – and they fly over the house at times.

20 years? that's only 10 shows. 10 weeks out of 1040! Can't see how you can get bored with something that happens that infrequently. 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

There's even more interesting stuff in the trade stands, but most people don't get to see them by the time public days come round.

Last time I went, I fell asleep during the old WW2 planes & woke up to the sound of an A10 doing a low & slow flypast. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can't see how you can get bored with something that happens that infrequently

I'm not very interested in aeroplanes. Simples!

I look up if I see a plane from the show, but otherwise I'm not bothered.

rkk01
    Free Member

Went to he RIAT show at Fairford last w/e.

Vulcan flew at that, and was probably one of the stars of the show – just the raw power of the thing, especially given it's vintage

F22 was impressive in its own technologically advanced, trump everyone else US kind of way.

To my amazement, to most jaw dropping display was from a prop driven transport plane – the new Airbus A400-M.

It seemed to defy the laws of physics. I thought big planes fell out of the air when they did what that plane did

molgrips
    Free Member

Yesterday there was an F35 JSF joyriding around the sky all day distorting spacetime apparently, judging by the things it was doing in the sky and the incredible unearthly crackling rumbling noise it was making. Today it seems to be Eurofighter day 🙂

theotherjonv

Vulcan today at about 1615 according to the schedule.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

On Friday (weather permitting) I am going to sit on the bank on the Western end of the runway (Norris Hill), theres a great view straight down the runway. I'll be on/near an On-One if theres anybody else up there (not sure about GeeTee / Dave though)

Theres due to be Vulcan and ME109 with Spit … I am really looking forwards to that, never seen a 109 in flight before.

I am in Fleet and we get them pretty close over the house but its all good by me 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I can hear some prop planes messing about, but can't see anything. Is it a WWII display perhaps? I saw a Spitfire yesterday.

Muke
    Free Member

Ceasar's Camp

Is that near the opposite end of the runway to the Swan pub ?

molgrips
    Free Member

It's to the S/SW.

theotherjonv

Nice albeit long distance view of most of the action from TH today. One thing came directly overhead on its way in (Sentinel R1 apparently), the only other thing that came closeish was the Vulcan which banked quite close to where I was before going in to land again. Awesome thing.

From even a distance away the noise and power of the F16, F18 and Typhoon were astounding.

stucol
    Free Member

Lightning, Lightning or Lightning ?

Typhoon or Typhoon ?

Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt ?

Any other plane names resurrected from the past?

rootes1

Ceasar's Camp in Aldershot is the best palce to be. You're right at the end of the runway!

yer that would be better, just further from home..

monkeyp

I thought the American commentator for the F22 was going to have a funny wee – he was getting WAY to excited on Tuesday!

Sounded more like he was introducing a WWF wrestler – and then he started playing some bad American rock music as it flew past.

Otherwise it was very good though and felt nice to see some of the stuff I have worked on in action.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@stucol

The British have a tradition of naming fighters after meteorological phenomena, hence names like "Hurricane", "Typhoon", "Tempest", "Meteor" and of course "Lightning". The F-35 is an anglo-American project so for political reasons the naming of the aircraft had to tap into the heritage of both countries.

It was nearly called "Spitfire II".

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Weather is looking a bit more reasonable for tomorrow now, thought I may take a couple of spitfires of my own as a fitting tribute 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

I wait all week to find some spare time and now the weather decides to p down. 😥

Maybe tomorrow then, but can't decide Ceasars camp or the Swan pub ???

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Anyone going to Farnborough Airshow’ is closed to new replies.