• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by xcstu.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone go for a narrow flat bar on their 29er?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As title really. I might want to use bar ends.

scotroutes

I dunno what qualifies as narrow these days 😛

Clink

I have been using 730/740 flat bars on all my bikes. Put some 660 H bars on the Stooge today and much preferred them. Not sure what that proves though…

NormalMan

What do you call narrow?

My son runs 700mm on his.

imnotverygood

?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ENVE 700mm Sweet bars on both mine, tried 730mm but they felt too wide

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got ohh so unfashionable 680mm flat bars on mine, I like wider bars on my Gnarpoon, but they just feel wrong on an XC bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

Narrow meaning the way bars used to be. 23″ or 580mm.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got 750mm and they’re not wide enough.

Looking to go to 780mm.

belugabob
    Free Member

If you’re suggesting that you need narrow, flat bars to fit bar ends, then you might want to reconsider.
    My 29er is fitted with riser bars over 700mm (can’t remember the exact size) and bar ends. It can make for ‘interesting’ moments when squeezing between trees, but you do get used to it, and it’s great for providing alternative hand positions and for wrestling the bike up climbs.
    If you’re getting the bar ends anyway, give them a go before committing to narrower bars.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found that bar ends on wide bars felt wrong, bar ends on 580mm bars probably puts your wrists in about the same position as 650-680mmbars.

Tempted to go cut some bars down for some retro skinnyness.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Running 630mm Mt Zoom on my 29 race hardtail.
    Do the job for race duties.
    Never had bar ends on but they do some with reinforced ends for bar ends if wanted.
    Maybe something to consider?
    Thanx,
    Max

eshershore
    Free Member

I’m running a Specialized S-Works Prowess flat bar at 700mm on my 29’er, but not with bar ends as the bar is not suitable for bar ends, and I’ve not felt the need to run them

jonnyrockymountain

Flat and not under 700mm for a 29er!!!!!!!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’ve just put some 750 bars and a 50mm stem on my Solaris. They are the narrowist bars I own which is why they weren’t on a bike. Good knows how it will feel I can’t ride for at least another six weeks.

NormalMan

@Esher shore – your bike looks really nice.

vondally
    Free Member

easton flat bars 720 and cane creek ergo bar ends…….fine thanks

NormalMan

I should have added that on my Solaris I run 740mm bars (60mm stem). I did try some flat 710 bars with bar ends on it once but went back my original set up as it just seemed to suit the bike more.

Although I do like the extra hand position bar ends give.

My previous 29er I ran 700mm with bar ends that meant they were effectively 650. That was a nice set up and the bike worked well like it but was more of an xc set up.

scotroutes

660 and Cane Creek Ergos on my 29er

jobro
    Free Member

640mm Mt. Zoom for me on my Air 9

Anything wider and I seem to hit every tree and catch every gorse bush I go near.

Having said that I am going to try some 710’s soon to see how I get on (without the gorse catching bar ends!!)

oldgit
    Free Member

No need to chop them, ends won’t widen the bars.

Lobbed 25mm off each end on my Trek 29er. Still seem a little wide for aggressive climbing.
    ding ends to mine soon.

eshershore
    Free Member

@normal man

Thanks – the stump jumper carbon hardtail 29’er is a lovely frame to ride with very quick handling and crisp under power but perhaps a little fragile as the frame has gone back for warranty inspection. My third frame in 2 years.

To be fair to the nice people at Specialized, they redesigned the frame to eliminate the issues, but I am on the older design so not a surprise!

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow.. Bars have gone a bit bonkers lately…

Well I found some 580s in the garage and even some bar ends. The only stem I had in 28.whatever mm was 90mm so I put it all on. Felt like the position I was looking for, but then I thought maybe a little high so I flipped the stem and now it feels too short.

What I was thinking of was a stretched road-bike like position for covering long miles of untechnical terrain and roads. It seems to me like wide bars just won’t be right for this.

I may still get the 680s on CRC with the 60mm stem I got.. Not sure about bar ends that wide but maybe I can fit the Ergon grips for a different hand position.

Maybe those Edwardian style semi drops don’t look so ridiculous now after all.

steve_b77
    Free Member

720’s on mine.

BTW? WTF is ‘aggressive climbing?’ Shouting obscenities at those you pass?!?

nemesis
    Free Member

685 + bar ends on mine. I consider 685 wide though.

molgrips
    Free Member

WTF is ‘aggressive climbing?’

If you have to ask…. 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

BTW? WTF is ‘aggressive climbing?’ Shouting obscenities at those you pass?!?

I normal shout obscenities at my legs/lungs as I push up the hill.

pt0608
    Free Member

Until very recently I ran 580s on my 29er. Thought they were fine and it’s what I was used to.

Just changed to 720. And I like it too.

Personal preference init?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be more tempted to stick with the 580 if the stem I had was shorter. I may still try it out on a ride, but I’ve also ordered a 680mm 9 deg to go with my 60mm stem.

JCL
    Free Member

780mm flat on my Trail and AM bike. I should probably run 740/750mm for my size but after riding something sustained rowdy I quickly forget about that.

I’m baffled that people run less than 700mm though. They must run right dong stems.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A flat 720mm on the Rocky Element, feels a little narrow compared to the 780’s on the trail bike. It’s also really cluttered on there too. May try something a little wider.

takisawa2

685mm here, but with a low rise.
    Old 25.4mm dia too.
    Puts a bit of give back in for running rigid.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m baffled that people run less than 700mm though. They must run right dong stems.

My Patriot is my big bike and that is only 700, I have a 70mm stem. This feels really short and wide to me 🙂 I just don’t feel the need to go any wider – perhaps it’s because I’ve been used to riding narrower over the years.

adsh
    Free Member

I run a 660mm MT Zoom flat bar and also a 710mm both with 90mm stems and bar ends. 710 needs a bit more care on singletrack in trees but gives me the same position on a bike with shorter reach that I wouldn’t want to put a longer stem on.

qwerty
    Free Member

Narrow meaning the way bars used to be. 23″ or 580mm.

I thought that in yesteryear 23″ was wide!!

xcstu
    Free Member

Have considered going more narrow but currently stock… still new to this 29r

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone go for a narrow flat bar on their 29er?’ is closed to new replies.