Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)
  • Anyone given up their P since the ”upgrade”?
  • Cougar

Don’t have a pop at me Cougar, I appreciate your point but you are wrong.

I’m honestly not having a pop, sorry if it came across that way.  I’m not wrong though, you’re conflating two issues.

1) Being logged out every two weeks is by design, no-one has ever said otherwise (or if they did it was a bloody long time ago and from a point of ignorance).

2) Being logged out more often than that has proven to be an elusive problem because, as I’ve said time and again, no-one who is in a position to fix it had ever been able to replicate the issue.  It’s some weird mix of software client and usage behaviour that’s upsetting the forum somehow.

Hopefully once the current issues are resolved they might be able to revisit this.  As I understand it one of the big problems with the old forum was maintenance, making any change was high risk – the butterfly effect I guess – so there was a reluctance to do this.  Presumably these barriers should no longer be such a problem going forward.

edlong
    Free Member

Just briefly browsed this thread (life’s too short to read all that, apologies if my assumptions that pages 2 through 5 are largely the same as 1 and 6 is off) and you know what? I am tempted to ditch the P, although I’ll have to buy one first in order to ditch it, but I might, because it would be worth it for me to make a pointless, empty gesture that literally nobody will give half a shit about.

So, just to add my weight to what so many are doubtless thinking – is it worth persisting with a forum that contains so much great stuff from some interesting people when it is so hard to cope with all this shit?

Is it really worth it when the place is hobbled by containing so many sanctimonious, self-righteous, entitled, self-centred, perspective-free, over-reacting, childish tossers? I’m not sure how much longer I can stick with it, to be honest. If they don’t take action, and fast, this place is done for.

this is how not to do crisis management

With respect (that’s a lie, to be fair) if there being a few formatting wobbles on a chat forum falls under your definition of a “crisis” then, well, words **** fail me.

Cougar

why would they ask you to promise to not bring them up?

I don’t recall such a thing ever happening. BB said (just now) that he promised not to bring it up, not that he was asked to do so.

angeldust
    Free Member

‘And as I said I promised I’d not bring it up, but being provoked at this particular time during the initiation stage of a rollout seems fair point to make to see if during the log of issues you have.. perhaps it’s one you may be able to fix..’

‘I don’t recall such a thing ever happening. BB said (just now) that he promised not to bring it up, not that he was asked to do so.’

Fair enough. Why would he feel the need to promise such a thing though, unless discussing it was causing some sort an issue? The tone of his post does rather suggest he had reluctantly stopping discussing it, and that it is certainly still an issue.

angeldust
    Free Member

‘With respect (that’s a lie, to be fair) if there being a few formatting wobbles on a chat forum falls under your definition of a “crisis” then, well, words **** fail me.’

Yeah, not an unfair comment, but if (as we are led to believe) the forum is an important source of income, and it really did go down the drain, a few people’s jobs might suffer at very least. Potentially that is a crisis for someone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I, and most folks here, look forward to the improvements and developments both STW/the Devs have in mind/on the table.

Pretty sure once the dust has settled you will find all sorts of posting spiders come back out to play… 🦅🕷🕷🦂

What I also hope is that these improvements make moderating far easier, that the attack’s and hacks you must see behind the scenes far easier to manage and cope with.

I have not been logged out during his post 🤡💥☄️🥊

jonnyboi

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>Well I, and most folks here, look forward to the improvements and developments both STW/the Devs have in mind/on the table.</span>

I’m fairly sure most folks on here view these improvements and developments with as much fear as they would an unexploded bomb in their underpants.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤣

Poopscoop

one of the silent majority here.

Not giving up my P, just renewed actually.

Really not bothered by the inconvenience of the remaining bugs. I can now work around most of them. Even if I couldn’t this forum has way, way too much great info on it and some remarkably helpful and knowledgable people on it too.

Im sure the powers that be are getting there and im just glad this forum is around as there just isn’t one like it in my experience. 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

I think a solution or maybe the solution is, backup database, export data in a importable format, acquire decent reputable off the shelf forum package, and import data (with a bunch of scripts and transforms to map this and that).

Fair bit of work, but end result is something that isn’t a mess. Possibly.

ransos
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>I’m not sure how much longer I can stick with it, to be honest</span>

Here’s hoping you don’t try too hard.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Logged out again.  Third or fourth time in the last few days.

Cougar

What I also hope is that these improvements make moderating far easier, that the attack’s and hacks you must see behind the scenes far easier to manage and cope with.

It’s… I’m going to say “different.”  The tools have changed (quiet at the back), some are far far better and some are far far worse.  Much like out here really I suppose.

Thing is though, going forward (and god I hate that term, kill me now) it appears to be a lot easier for the devs to make changes safely.  We’ve had tools set up in minutes that would’ve taken months on the previous forum, if it happened at all.  This is why I’m optimistic about the stuff that’s going on which is publicly visible currently, I’ve seen the very tangible difference that the new codebase makes.

Anecdotally, I suggested a code change when I visited STW last year and the reaction I got was like I’d asked for the mortal soul of their first born.  Now, it’s actually happening with little drama.

Cougar

Flashy,

This is pure speculation on my part but it may be that we’re seeing extra logouts due to ongoing development.

Nonetheless, once the dust has settled, if it still persists then if you and – who was the other, bikebouy? – are willing to work with me I’d like to have another stab at pinning this down.

pitduck
    Free Member

” it’s actually happening with little drama”LOL are we looking at the same forum?

zippykona

It’s not as good as 2016 but it’s better than 2017.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Happy to help out, no problem. Just PM me when you’re ready.

Andy-R

“Really not bothered by the inconvenience of the remaining bugs. I can now work around most of them. Even if I couldn’t this forum has way, way too much great info on it and some remarkably helpful and knowledgable people on it too.”

This ^^^ about sums it up for me – there’s always something interesting to read, always someone who knows more about things than I do and always too many “For Sale” items to tempt me. What more do you want?

Plus, frequently,  some real empathy and humanity to balance out the occasional cockish-ness. For an Internet forum it’s a pretty “human” place and that, I suppose is what I like about it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just read this on the BBC and for a second thought I’d logged on here by mistake…

“How many people have to hate an update for it to be reconsidered?” she asked.

Kylie Jenner asked her Twitter followers what they thought of the changes, and then agreed with a follower who replied that they hated it.

Snapchat reiterated its statement that updates “can take a little getting used to”.

“We hope the community will enjoy it once they settle in,” the firm said.

I’d insert a smiley if I could remember how.  😎

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just had the pleasure of typing a lengthy thread response using the quick reply window, hitting submit and then being told I had somehow been logged out since my last visit… And my reply is gone.

Lovely. :/

whitestone
    Free Member

If you hit the back button in your browser you’ll go back to the reply to thread page and your message will (should) still be there. Copy all, log in, paste. I’ve had to do similar in the past either due to being logged out or being outside the 15min editing window.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think a solution or maybe the solution is, backup database, export data in a importable format, acquire decent reputable off the shelf forum package, and import data (with a bunch of scripts and transforms to map this and that).

Fair bit of work, but end result is something that isn’t a mess. Possibly.

I think the extra cost of getting a competant developer in to do this might make this an unpopular route…

Viewing 22 posts - 241 through 262 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Anyone given up their P since the ”upgrade”?’ is closed to new replies.