Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)
  • Anyone given up their P since the ”upgrade”?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

You appear to have gone through a wormhole back to 1998 Esselgrunt!

Buy me some Apple shares while you’re there please.

Drac

It does look like a Bulletin Board.

Really very odd.

bikebouy
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>I was under the impression this was no longer happening post-upgrade.  Is that not the case?</span>

Fraid not Sir, still happens to me. Yesterday mid post 🍦

But I’m not complaining anymore, I made a fuss back then and decided to rescind my P.

These days I’m just resigned to the mild inconvenience.

iphone 6s, iPad Air, MacAir all running latest updates.

The forum will be fixed soon enough, doesn’t seem like a big deal all the issues we have..

seosamh77
    Free Member

Click the # link under the posts in Forums / Replied to in your profile.

never knew that was fixed, good stuff. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

fork out money to support this nonsense and then feel superior about it

You crack me up! As if I need that to feel superior 😉

spooky_b329

Thanks cougar, the # works 🙂

sadexpunk

it does, but its still not as user friendly as the list of threads youve posted in where you can see when the last reply was, who it was by, and go straight to it.

footflaps

><span style=”color: #444444; line-height: 15.360000610351563px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>The forum will be fixed soon enough</span>

I get the impression they are completely out of their depth.

DickBarton

I think it has improved…still a few things to iron out but it seems better – less ads for a start. I’m sure it’ll improve with some time as it’ll still be new (believe it or not, most things get learnt properly once they are live and in proper use).

I never was a P though, I’m happy being used to generate ad revenue with all my daily visits, they probably make more from me that way than by me paying a P.

teethgrinder

Same here. No buttons etc. Can’t be arsed to work out how to screenshot and post it.

Cougar

I’m happy being used to generate ad revenue with all my daily visits, they probably make more from me that way than by me paying a P.

Aside: Mark once said how many more subscribers they needed in order to do away with adverts completely.  I don’t remember the exact figure now and probably couldn’t disclose it anyway, but it was an order of magnitude fewer than I’d have guessed.

oldnpastit

Northwind
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    If the forum was permanently like this I might see the point but this is temporary, so no.

The current state of affairs is shite but a) it’s not supposed to be like this and b) It won’t be forever so.

It’s been temporarily like this for quite some time. Quoting is still messed up.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ll be giving up my P. Not just because of the forum but I don’t really read the mag now either.
    Combined its just bollox.

Cougar

Same here. No buttons etc. Can’t be arsed to work out how to screenshot and post it.

It’s fine, we’re aware.  Cheers though.

RustySpanner

I think the mag is better than it’s been for a good few years, so the ‘P’ makes sense.

The fewer, bigger, more diverse issues thing seems to be working well.

No fun at the moment on here though.

Trimix
    Free Member

How is it that a business, whose business is the forum, can mess this up so much ?

FFS, test it first before rolling it out on your customers.

Makes you look unprofessional and creates the impression you treat your audience as either gullible, accepting of poor standards or irelevant.

You have a finite amount of goodwill that takes years to build up and moments to lose.

RustySpanner

There’s a ‘u’ in favourite btw.

Jamie
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”> but this is temporary</span>

🤔

RustySpanner

Well it’s not like they’re doing it deliberately.

They must be losing money at the moment and still have staff to pay.

I imagine it’s being dealt with as quickly as possible.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Drac – that messed up 80s nonsense is exactly the kind of inconsistency that’s been moaned about for years. Some folk can stay logged in, others not. Some folk (me) had a load of paragraph markers randomly spawning around their post, others not. Some folk see that, others don’t. Some get something causing the site to run painfully slows, others don’t.

I’m no web developer but even I recognise it takes a special kind of mistake to make one site so wildly inconsistent. Christ only knows what gremlins are lurking in the database causing certain things to happen when all the planets align.

And temporary? How many years did everyone wait for this upgrade? I have to wonder just how awful it would really be to torch the place and just start anew with a modern off the shelf system with modern features that actually works without shitting the bed every other day.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I get on my page Drac. No idea what’s going on but It’s been like that since the site was 1st closed for ‘maintenance’

Any Ideas?

Cougar

There’s a ‘u’ in favourite btw.

We know.  It’s on the list.

<mod>

Can we keep this on topic please?  If it’s going to become another bug report / complaint-fest I’ll close it as a duplicate, we have a sticky for that.  Ta.

</mod>

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve never actually bought or read the magazine, so I kind of feel that a Premier subscription would be wasted on me.

Besides, I like to think I support the forum through posting unique content that you won’t find anywhere else on the internet.

I’d think you’d not be unreasonable to stop paying (at least for the time being). It seems like it’s been weeks since it’s been working properly, so it’s obviously not much of a priority.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not yet but I have thought about it and posted on the pinned thread. The truth is I pay to support the magazine and would do so even if the forum disappeared. I was a subscriber long before I knew the forum existed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’re all unique, in our own way 🤡

I like the mag, I don’t subscribe to it because I’m not really an mtber.. but I like the content and if I’m on a train station and a long journey it’s often the mag I go seek out first.. then I look dull tome…

When it all settles down, which I’m sure it will.. then maybe we could have a party.. DezB could bring the music, I bring my own beer, all we need is fancy dress..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I own a fancy dress.😅

raybanwomble
    Free Member

@essel

Bring Bring, the 1990s called – they want their shitty IRC chatrooms back

Anyway, don’t complain too much – my username was “disappeared” during the upgrade purge.

RustySpanner

I wasn’t entirely serious about the ‘u’, but glad to know it’s been noted.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Magazine and website are pretty crap. I have a digital sub to support the forum.

CountZero

squirrelking

wait till it’s fixed?

Oh, you. You crack me up. This is the only forum I know that is more broken after an upgrade than it was before and considering the state it was in that took some doing. But hey, as long as people are stupid enough to fork out money to support this nonsense and then feel superior about it then this is what we can expect.

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

There certainly are real inconsistencies in the problems members have on here, though, the <span> spam thing for example, and I’m not even sure what you need to do to get that show up in a post!
    I’ve not had it happen, and, apart from the buttons to save the hassle of manually tapping in the code to quote, or make text bold, italic, etc and drop in photos, it all looks pretty good.
    It’s loading fairly quickly for me now as well, so things seem to be getting sorted.
    Not even seeing lots of ads, which don’t bother me anyway. Sort the html buttons, and I’m peachy.
    Can’t speak for anyone else, though, obviously.
    Oh, I do like being able to directly use emoji from my pad’s keyboard, nice touch. 😬

perchypanther
    Free Member

and I’m peachy

Thank the lord for AutoCorrect 😉

Nearly gave away my other login there.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I am really missing the replies bit

Click the # link under the posts in Forums / Replied to in your profile.

That just takes you to your own post, which you’ve just seen in full anyway. What I want to see in my profile is if there are any more posts. I don’t want to have to click more times to find that out, although I suspect that is probably the idea.

Drac

No that’s not the idea, it will return but at the moment that’s the work around.

That messed up 90’s nonsense hasn’t been around for years squirrelking whatever that is Essel has is damn weird.

alanl
    Free Member

“I’m in credit since grit.cx died on its arse”

It’s finished has it? That’s no surprise. I got the free copy of the magazine with my ST subscription. What a load of rubbish. Then I looked at the forum – dead. It could have been such a good thing.
    I gave up my ST ‘P’ my year ago. It isnt missed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I never said it was. I said that sort of inconsistency has, I even gave a list of examples spanning both forum versions.

Is it too much to expect people to read on here?

CZ, not going anywhere thanks, I live in hope someone eventually pulls a finger out from where it is apparently jammed and finally rolls out something worth supporting. This place is a business, not a charity or even an enthusiasts site, and people would do well to remember that. that it can’t get someone to competently manage the forum is frankly ridiculous. Bigger sites than this survive with better forums and less advertising. Go look at skyscrapercity, one of the biggest forums on the internet (unlike this place it made it onto the XKCD map of the internet) to see what I mean.

weeksy

I’ve kept mine out of blind hope and faith. But I’d say i read and post about 20% of the amount i used to. If it doesn’t improve, i will bin the P.

njee20
    Free Member

I keep thinking I ought to cancel it. I rarely use the forum these days, when I do it’s ridiculously frustrating. It’s such a trivial amount I may as well leave it though.

whitestone
    Free Member

@squirrelking – the inconsistencies are weird. I don’t get any means (on desktop or iPad) to insert smileys/emojis or whatever the flavour of the month is whereas others do. I can’t paste text into a reply without getting the <span> detritus whereas others clearly can.

Jamie
    Free Member

I always said I’d go full P when a few things on the forum were fixed. Just simple things like auto select quotes and a useable mobile version.

The wait continues I guess.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

“whatever that is Essel has is damn weird.”

It’s probably just me Drac. I’ve had manflulurgiecold since new year & even that’s weird for me!
    Any ideas what I can try or shall I just wait?

(PS I’m on a laptop with Windaz but It looks the same on my IPad)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Anyone given up their P since the ”upgrade”?’ is closed to new replies.