Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone from Stratford Upon Avon?
  • dazz
    Free Member

I’m hoping to spend the weekend there this weekend, camping at the racecourse, with my (non cycling, up till now) wife & our 10 year old, I’m just deciding whether or not to take our bikes & after looking round I’ve seen a few mentions of The Greenway, it looks like a nice flat route & just what I’m looking for as an introduction into cycling for the wife, anyhow, after the long winded start, is there enough to keep her & our daughters interest along the route & would we have to cycle through Stratford to get to it?

TheWrongTrousers

The Greenway, I believe, is a disused railway line that heads towards Broadway. Don’t know if it goes all the way. I’ve ridden along there to Long Marston, about 7 miles, from memory and it’s very pleasant. Flat, well surfaced and dry. Perfect for family wobbling. There’s a pub or two in Long Marston and I seem to recall that there is a cafe in an old railway carriage along the way.
    I think it goes right past the race course so easy to get to and you wouldn’t need to ride through town to get to it.

Pickers

TWT above is spot on with his description, we use it a fair bit to ride into town.
    There’s two carriages doing snacks, one at Stratford and one at Milcote which is halfway-ish. I believe there’s a bike hire place at the Stratford end as well if that’s any help.

kayak23

Greenway is a nice family pootle. Another option maybe is a ride out on the canal towpath.
    Visit the butterfly farm near town, most kids love that.

rOcKeTdOg

There’s also a cyclepath from the green way straight into Stratford so traffic free all the way. Comes out by a foot bridge over the river into riverside park.

dazz
    Free Member

Thanks all, to be honest it’s more of a trial run for our camper than anything else, we only live 30 minutes from Stratford, but it’s a lovely place for a shakedown. The wife is a bit worried about cycling through anywhere to populated as she hasn’t ridden in 15 or so years, hence asking about access from the race course, got the butterfly farm on Saturday afternoon, well my wife & daughter have, I’ve got a pint or two on the riverside planned 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone from Stratford Upon Avon?’ is closed to new replies.