Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone from Stannington on here?
  • benjii19
    Free Member

?

munrobiker
    Free Member

There’s at least one occasional visitor. I used to live there, what do you want to know?

benjii19
    Free Member

Basically, where people would ride from stannington. Somewhat cheeky as there dont appear to be a ton of bridleways.

Ive done rivelin, wymingbrook, loxley common but struggling with finding new stuff.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m in Hillsborough, could probably give you some pointers

Superficial
    Free Member

Rivelin valley is ace, I miss living there. There’s not loads of mileage but what’s there is gold. If you want a longer ride, it’s pretty easy to get out to Redmires / Stanage and do a bigger loop.

Ladybower is 10 minutes in the car, ditto the North end of Cut Gate, or Ringinglow / Lady Cannings in the other direction. Plus there’s loooads of quiet road riding up in the Strines if that floats your boat.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You can ride from Stannington to Strines, then up Folkstone Road to Derwent Edge and down to the inn, or even out on the footpaths to the res.

You can go from Rivelin along to Stanage then along Stanage to the A57. Or do that in reverse, with the Rivelin trails after which is better.

You can ride from Rivelin to Redmires then turn right along the conduit that leads to Redmires res then right on the footpath back to Rivelin.

Email me if you want maps. Much of it is cheeky.

There’s also a ride goes at 7.30 Wednesday from the front of the school.

benjii19
    Free Member

Cheers for that lot, i do most of my riding round blacka, houndkirk way. Just fancied a quick local blast out the door.

Ive done a bit round rivelin, usually go down coppice lane onto tofts head to manchester road and then back dow the bridleway from Den Bank. That side is ace its the other side to strines i struggle with.

Have been down riggs road to moscar and over to derwent as well but that not such a quick blast. Spoon lane off riggs had potential but all footpaths.

Ill mail you, interest with these 7.30 rides…anything on facebook?

Superficial
    Free Member

Funnily enough I now live close to Blacka and houndkirk. It’s probably a better location for riding (especially for longer rides) but I miss doing the hour-long evening blats around Rivelin.

jimmy

Used to live in Rivelin. Other than the river path I don’t know if anything (miss it 🙁 )

munrobiker
    Free Member

There’s not a Facebook page for the rides, they are relatively informal but the guys have lived there for decades and know all the trails.

If you go let them know that Luke recommended the rides to you (although I’m surprised that in Stannington none of your neighbours mentioned it!).

Digby

There isn’t a huge amount over on the Stannington/Loxley side as many of the old pack-horse routes were made into roads rather than bridleways with a few exception which you can link up with longer sections of road.

There’s some good stuff above Bradfield /Agden if you don’t mind longish road sections.

Stannington/Rivelin has a lot more choice as the old pack-horse tracks became bridleways and there are a number of permissive bridleways and unmarked tracks on the south side of the valley that can be linked up to make a cracking ride.

The footpath that follows the River Rivelin is best avoided though unless early morning or late evening as it’s usually very busy with dogs on extendible leads.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone from Stannington on here?’ is closed to new replies.