• This topic has 60 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Anyone from near Altrincham / south Manc?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Any night rides going on that I can tag on the end of?

Failing that, anyone want to meet up for a beer?

I haven’t booked a hotel yet so am fairly flexible on location as long as it is within 1/2 an hour of Crewe Road in the morning.

Naranjada
    Free Member

This week looks grim-grim-grim weather wise up here but I like to try and get a night ride in every week if I can. Not sure what’s occurring this week, I think my riding partner’s away. So in a roundabout way, that’s a tentative maybe …what night(s) are you around?

nbt

South manchester massive
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthManchesterMassive/
    regular rides/drinks from Jackson’s Boat

twisted wheels are round that way too
    http://twistedwheels.myfreeforum.org/

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thursday night only.

I probably won’t go out if it is pi55ing down though as I don’t fancy muddy wet clothes in my case all the next day.

Might just make it a beer in that case.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Hmm, Thursday’s out for me I’m afraid. And the weatherman says wind+rain = a winning combo!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay. Change of requirement.

Recommend me a hotel/ B&B for less than £90 with decent food and beer either on the premises or within a quick walk in the wind and rain.

nbt

http://lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk/

Food’s great. I’ll come up and drink beer with you 🙂

nbt

within 1/2 an hour of Crewe Road in the morning.

ah, bugger. Missed that bit. Never mind, just get up a bit earlier, it’ll be worth it 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

nbt – looks like a distinct possibility. I will check for vacancies tomorrow. If it isn’t raining is it SS or Gear country?

Definitely meet for a beer either way

nbt

I ride SS but there are some Gert Big Hills there. It’s run by No_Discerning_taste and she doesn’t ride SS

stanley

Think that No_Discerning_taste and Mrs.Stanley have a night ride planned for Thursday too.
    Cut it short and head for the Fox if the weather is bad?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No vacancies 🙁

nbt

Shame 🙁 did you mention you were from STW?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I didn’t. Would it have changed the result? If so I might try again later. She was out on her bike at the time.

nbt

It might, can’t guarantee it – they might genuinely be full. Mention NBT when you speak to her 🙂

binners

Stay at Jacksons Boat. Its apparently one of the most haunted pubs in Britain. It has the advantage that if you felt like experimenting with your sexuality then you can do that by simply walking out of the front door and you’ll get your back doors kicked in no bother. Ask Hora.

If the weathers not too bad on Thursday we could get a local night ride sorted. Thursday’s our usual night anyway. As NBT will tell you. Our Thursday local rides tend to be very beer-centric

binners

This place is very ‘South Manchester’ WCA

http://www.didsburyhouse.co.uk/

And riding distance from our usual start point

ourmaninthenorth

Eleven Didsbury Park, sister hotel to Didsbury house (and just round the corner)

Didsbury is a burb in south Manchester, but closer to the centre than Altrincham.

Le Trapiste, Altrincham (Belgian beer bar)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

binners – 99 is the cheapest I can get that on Laterooms.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Le Trapiste looks good, and just a 6 minute walk from a cheapo Best Western. I might be tempted to forgo the rainy ride and just drink beer instead.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WCA can you buy me a ferret please? Apparently most folk oop north have them, so I’m sure you’ll be able to pick one up cheap.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You can’t get a proper ferret that side of the Pennines, they call them Albino Polecats or some such poncey crap.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Right – I will be in Le Trapiste, Altrincham (Belgian beer bar) on Thursday night if anyone wants to see what a Southerner looks like.

nbt

Sadly Altrincham is a little too far for us to be able to join you. Local pub quiz it is then. I’m sure Binners and / or Hora will be around

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Sorry WorldClassAccident, I wished you had said you were from the STW when you phoned me! Yes, for you I have availability, but I would imagine that you have booked somewhere else already. But give me a call if you haven’t!

Used the “fully booked” exuse as I going out riding on Thursday night (as you already know!!) and didn’t want to miss the ride by waiting in for guests, but it would be great if you joined us. Our showers are heavenly and well worth going out for a couple of hours in the rain cycling to fully appreciate! We’ll make sure we add some post-ride beers too in the local pub!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Woo Hoo! I am no longer stuck in a horrible hotel but a beautiful B&B!

Thanks to the posters above. I am sorry if I delay the start but I should be there for 7-7:30pm.

snowslave

Doh, we could have learned southern!

LukeWebber
    Free Member

Hey WCA – now being in the grim north I’m just a short while away from where you’re staying! Meet for ride/beer?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Fancy joining us Luke? The current plan is to set off from my house ( appr. 400 m past Mellor cross) at about 7.30 and do a 2 hour ride and finish at the Fox Inn or the Sportsman for a pint afterwards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t forget me ferret!

Oh yeh; and if you see Hora, get my £120 off him for me, and you can keep £40. And if he moans, hurt him.

Actually, hurt him anyway. Binners will help you.

snowslave

No discerning taste – do you know the farmer that owns that barn right next to the crucifix perchance, you being a local and all that?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The one who always seem to jump out to tell me I’m stupid everytime I ride down off the cross? Yes, I’ve bumped in to him (not literally of course) a few times but can’t say I know him well.

snowslave

Haha! That’s exactly what he does to us when we go up to the cross. He goes mental. Glad to hear it’s not just us!

Bunnyhop

I may come over for the drinks after the ride WCA.
    Nick you’ll love the B&B its 5 star 🙂

Its easier for me to get to the Sportmans (freehouse), but will make an effort to make it to the Fox if that’s easier for everyone else.

nbt

I’m probably in for the ride, any rough plans on the route? I’ll need to ride over to join you (20-25 minutes or so) and my lights are going to struggle to last 2 hours, the batteries are knocking on a bit now!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Gulp. What have I started. I better get my lights charged up properly.

Luke – I didn’t know you were oop norf. Feel free to join us.

stanley

Does this mean we will have to stay off the golf courses and footpaths 😉

nbt

Does this mean we will have to stay off the golf courses and footpaths

Duuur, no way. they;re the best bit, and they;re fair game since stockport council are “improving” the bridleways

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If it does rain will it be still or sparkling water?

stanley

If any, slow and soft water hopefully!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Anyone from near Altrincham / south Manc?’ is closed to new replies.