• This topic has 966 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 967 total)
  • Anyone for another religion thread?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

So there’s this god and it created stuff over which it has no control. Hardly a god of any sort, I’d say, and still no explanation of where it came from.

Wow. You’re reduced to that as an argument.

And so religion, thankfully, continues it’s long drawn out death rattle as the gaps get narrower and fewer…

Poopscoop

Malvern Rider – Member
    Got me thinking if it really was an owl ..or perhaps you were mistaken and it was a cuckoo..
    I think it’s best we’ll call it a typo. I made a lengthy typo

I googled your bit of prose assuming it was a copy and paste initially? 😀

It really isn’t is it? Got some talent there mate!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Poop. Fret not. I wasn’t tryimg to upset or insult you either so if I did then that was wrong, so please accept my apology in return. I am hard to annoy.
    My point was that even if you are open minded there is zero evidence for a deity. You may as well believe in the flying spag monster or Russells teapot, as there is equal evidence for them. Theonly reason for opening yourmind to god over the FSM or Teapots is a concern that some of the superstition is true. So saying you are open minded about god seems suspiciously like superstition to me… Not trying to be mean or insulting. Just attempting to be objective about it.

Also, as others have said, even if one could see evidence of a God, you need to be open minded enough to ask where did that god come from? The problem is that the deity concept is just a logical fallacy, the idea that creation just stops in the trail at God.

AdamW
    Free Member

Am surprised that no-one has already said:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

oh God…

molgrips
    Free Member

And so religion, thankfully, continues it’s long drawn out death rattle as the gaps get narrower and fewer…

Again, I don’t think you understand what religion is all about in 2017.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Again, I don’t think you understand what religion is all about in 2017.

I think you don’t get what it is, it is something very different to most people around the world. Look across the world and things are changing in lots of different directions, some people getting more literal others less so.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think you understand what religion is all about in 2017.

Well next to you who could have such a great understanding?

PS the word of god is immutable but many practitioners seem happy to ignore the bits they dont like and “modernise it”
    gods are not wrong they dont need updating

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

anyone on here a microbiologist that can answer it for you lol

If not, a chip shop owner or molecular biologist will do.

poah
    Free Member

I can’t be arsed. Epigenetics was the corner stone of my PhD thesis so had enough of it to last a life time.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, I just take what you say on faith then

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I can’t be arsed.

But really, all I’m asking for is confirmation or denial

slowoldman

I think that’s about right kimbers. A mystical power created the universe

OK, here’s something we don’t have a definitive answer to, so you reckon it must be a mystical power. Clearly you are not a scientist.

poah
    Free Member

But really, all I’m asking for is confirmation or denial

Epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene function that occur without a change in the sequence of nuclear DNA. This form of inheritance allows the transmission of information from mother to daughter cell without the information being encoded in the nucleotide sequence of the gene, for example when a liver cell divides, the daughter cells do not start to express proteins specific to muscle cells. Methylation of a CpG dinucleotide at cytosine C5 (mCpG) is a major epigenetic gene silencing modification in vertebrate genomes. This modification recruits proteins which specifically recognise this motif. These methylated DNA binding proteins then recruit enzymes which chemically and physically alter chromatin, which induces transcriptional repression. Although most CpG motifs are methylated it should be noted that short (500-2000bp) CG-rich regions, known as CpG islands, found within 60% of human gene promoters remain non-methylated (Bird, A. 2002). While this is true for normal cells, de novo methylation of CpG islands occurs in various cancers, inducing silencing of tumour suppressor genes e.g. CDH1 in breast, bladder and prostate cancer (Graff et al. 1995), CDKN2A in many epithelial cancers (Merlo et al. 1995), and the Rb gene in retinoblastomas (Sakai et al. 1991).

Control of gene expression/repression is important in cell development and differentiation to ensure that only cell-specific genes are transcribed. Some genes are constitutively transcribed in almost all cells, e.g. Glyceraldehyde 3 phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH); some genes are only transcribed in certain cell types, e.g. carnitine palmitoyltransferase I C in rat brain and testes (Price et al, 2002); others are only transcribed after a signaling cascade has been initiated, e.g. induction of insulin gene transcription by glucose in beta cells of the Islets of Langerhans (Leibiger et al. 1998). Eukaryotic DNA is packaged into a nucleoprotein complex called chromatin that is organized into two structurally distinct domains, euchromatin and heterochromatin (Heitz, 1928). Euchromatin is condensed during cell division but more open and transcriptionally active during interphase while heterochromatin is tightly packed and transcriptionally inactive throughout the cell cycle. While there is only one class of euchromatin, heterochromatin has two variants, constitutive or facultative. Constitutive heterochromatin is fixed, irreversible and located at very specific spots in the genome that consist of DNA that contains many tandem (not inverted) repeats of a short repeating unit known as satellite DNA. Facultative heterochromatin can revert to a euchromatin state for example, when a woman transmits the X-chromosome to a son; it reverts to euchromatin from heterochromatin. Replication of these two types of chromatin occurs at different time points, with heterochromatic DNA late and euchromatic DNA early within the cell cycle (Gilbert, 2002). DNA methylation is functionally connected to these two states through histone modification. In a simplified view, euchromatic DNA contains non-methylated CpGs and the histones are often acetylated whereas the CpGs in heterochromatin DNA are methylated and the histones are deacetylated with methylation occurring at histone 3 lysine 9 (H3K9 ) (Cameron et al. 1999). De-methylation of CpG motifs allows H3K9 to be re-acetylated (Bachman et al. 2003) which ultimately leads to a switch from hetero- to euchromatic DNA. Thus DNA methylation is a pivotal signal for the epigenetic control of gene expression in a reversible heritable manner.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wow! You really couldn’t be arsed could you!

For all that, I’m not sure you answered my question

And these are heritable, reversible adaptations?

DNA methylation is a pivotal signal for the epigenetic control of gene expression in a reversible heritable manner.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Thanks for breaking that down into simplistic terms ..but could you please go into a little more detail…
    Cheers 😉

poah
    Free Member

Copy and pasted from my thesis. The info is there btw

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But are you talking about somatic cells or embryonic stem cells?

poah
    Free Member

Both are under epigentic control. The research area is huge and not something I’m going to type out on my phone while in bed. Pretty sure there is a wiki site dealing with epigenetics so you should find your answer there or wait till I’m on a computer

Cougar

This reminds me of one of those Twitter arguments that go:

“You’re wrong. Have you read this book?”

“Yes – I’m the author.”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Both are under epigentic control. The research area is huge and not something I’m going to type out on my phone while in bed.

Sure, it’s just that I wasn’t sure that both would be in CpG context.

Yes, probably in a few wikis but none make it as clear as you do.

Poopscoop

5plusn8 – Member
    Poop. Fret not. I wasn’t tryimg to upset or insult you either so if I did then that was wrong, so please accept my apology in return

No apology necessary bud,I was feeling a little thin skinned to be honest. I should definitely know better. More annoyed at myself than anything.

Lots going on at the moment and should have shown a bit more restraint and basically stayed away from the mobile. 🙂

Given me a lot to think on today actually. About the actual thread topic and my little storm in a tea cup. Will mull it over some more tomorrow no doubt.

CountZero

If a close friend or family member told you that they had taken to worshipping the old gods, say the Greek or Norse pantheon. How would you react and would it, in your mind, differ from how you view somebody who follows one of the three larger modern faiths? If so, why, how is it different?

Just catching up with a bunch of pages from a few days ago, and this caught my eye. How would I react?
    With total indifference; it’s none of my business, and as I believe I said earlier, I’m perfectly happy for anyone to believe in anything they want to believe in, just so long as they keep it to themselves and don’t get all evangelical and try to foist their belief on to me.
    Now, if she started to make offerings to Shub-Niggurath and Cthulhu I might look a little askance at her choice of believe system…

perchypanther – Member
    The first cockapoo didn’t come from a cockapoo, it came from a poodle
    ….or a Spaniel?

Weren’t expecting that, were you?

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANIEL INQUISITION!

OUR CHIEF WEAPON IS SURPRISE…

Honestly, the man is a comic genius! 😆

CountZero

theocb – Member
    Clouds are a miracle, you need to open your mind.. wind it back a few billion years and have a think about how that cloud you gazed at today was formed, you won’t see another the same even if you live for 8000 billion and 70 years. That cloud came from nothing, like a nothingness no man can comprehend just like mazzers baby. Like I said your senses have been dulled.

I regularly see clouds that came from jet aircraft flying at high altitude, which spread into Cirrus clouds; nothing miraculous about that.
    I’ve sat on a hillside watching clouds literally forming out of clear air; I can also see exactly the same process taking place on any given day when I breathe out and the ambient temperature is low enough for the moisture in my breath to condense out of otherwise clear air.
    I can also point you in the direction of a cloud that hangs in exactly the same place, has a virtually unchanging form, and can be seen from miles away, just so long as the ambient temperature allows it to form.
    It sits over Avonmouth, just to give you a hint.
    There’s nothing miraculous about it, and it’s recognised as a legitimate cloud variety, similar to Pyrocumulous.

CountZero

Thought I’d chuck this in, sums things up for me at any rate…

“I can believe things that are true and things that aren’t true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they’re true or not.

I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Beatles and Marilyn Monroe and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen – I believe that people are perfectable, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkled lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women.

I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone’s ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state.

I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste.

I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we’ll all be wiped out by the common cold like martians in War of the Worlds.

I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman.

I believe that mankind’s destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it’s aerodynamically impossible for a bumble bee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there’s a cat in a box somewhere who’s alive and dead at the same time (although if they don’t ever open the box to feed it it’ll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself.

I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn’t even know that I’m alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck.

I believe that anyone who says sex is overrated just hasn’t done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what’s going on will lie about the little things too.

I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman’s right to choose, a baby’s right to live, that while all human life is sacred there’s nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system.

I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you’re alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.”
    ? Neil Gaiman, American Gods

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A fictional character reacting to CGI events in a movie. ..

teasel
    Free Member

jade is dried dragon sperm

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Good link Woppit. I agree with his sentiment and I too have enjoyed sermons on occasion. But I don’t think personally that I can get over the hump.

molgrips
    Free Member

From the other closed thread:

They will never be happy UNTIL YOU BELIEVE IT AS WELL.

I’ve been on a lot of bike rides with various religious people and I can honestly say none have tried to covert me or even shown any animosity. I’m even someone’s Godfather.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hello trollgrips.

Drac spoilt the joke. I think he was bullied by the other bouncers moderators.

I think the article is hateful.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hateful as in filled with hate?

Drac

Drac spoilt the joke. I think he was bullied by the other bouncers moderators.

🙄

Cougar

<mod>
    Drac’s reopened the closed thread. Can we move this tail of the conversation back there please, then we don’t have parallel discussions running? Ta.
    </mod>

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can honestly say none have tried to covert me

So what you are saying is that they are very subtle about it

What did you have to agree to do openly when you were made a god parent- see i told you they were subtle https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/godparents/role-godparent/

Do you want the catholic one and what they have to pledge?

andyrm
    Free Member

They will never be happy UNTIL YOU BELIEVE IT AS WELL.

Can’t say that mirrors my experience growing up in Luton with friends of Christian (various denominations), Muslim, Sikh, Hindu OR Atheist persuasions. Everyone just accepted each others’ right to individual beliefs and just cracked on with being good mates to each other. The Atheist ones didn’t need to try and attack the beliefs of the religious either. Mind you this was pre-internet so the only way you’d get to use the kind of combative language used by some in this thread would be face to face. And you’d quite deservedly be chinned for being rude.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ I’m interested to know at what point in this thread (which words?) would (in your opinion) warrant actual physical aggression?

Serious question.

poah
    Free Member

And you’d quite deservedly be chinned for being rude

No they wouldn’t. If you have to descend into violence just because you think someone is being rude you have no right to be out in public. My comments would be the same in person as they are on here.

molgrips
    Free Member

What did you have to agree to do openly when you were made a god parent- see i told you they were subtle

Replying to comment on the other thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 967 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for another religion thread?’ is closed to new replies.