• This topic has 966 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 967 total)
  • Anyone for another religion thread?
  • miketually
    Free Member

How can science and religion converge

One is examining something external
    The other is examining something internal

Totally different things

Sam Harris said neuroscience is progressing to the point where we can start to put numbers to things previously only considered philosophically, so it could happen?

miketually
    Free Member

The first chicken egg would have been laid by the first chicken. The first chicken would have hatched from an egg which would have been laid by a slightly different animal, but not by a chicken. So, chicken first then egg.

The first egg containing a chicken will have come become before the first chicken. QED.[/quote]

That egg would have been laid by an animal of the same species as the chicken inside it, so that was there first. If there’s a chicken inside the egg, the egg was laid by a chicken.

Unless you’re a good Catholic, in which case life begins at conception. In chickens, conception happens before the creation of the shell. So the chicken inside the egg existed before the exterior of the egg.

Cougar

That egg would have been laid by an animal of the same species as the chicken inside it, so that was there first. If there’s a chicken inside the egg, the egg was laid by a chicken.

By that logic it’s chickens all the way down.

The first chicken started out life as an egg with a chicken in it. By definition, if it’s the first chicken, it’s come from an animal which is like a chicken but isn’t one.

The first cockapoo didn’t come from a cockapoo, it came from a poodle.

In chickens, conception happens before the creation of the shell. So the chicken inside the egg existed before the exterior of the egg.

Now, that’s cunning.

You know, it occurs to me I have absolutely zero knowledge of the biology of avian reproduction.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The first cockapoo didn’t come from a cockapoo, it came from a poodle

….or a Spaniel?

Weren’t expecting that, were you?

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANIEL INQUISITION!

OUR CHIEF WEAPON IS SURPRISE…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now I’ve tasted croc before and it was a bit like fishy chicken so I have faith that in fact the first chicken came from a crocodile egg. Believe that one now.

miketually
    Free Member

The first cockapoo didn’t come from a cockapoo, it came from a poodle.

Caveat: IANAEB*

They’re the same species…

Speciation occurs over time, it’s not a one generation event.

Your father was the same species as you. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him….

However, there will be a point where your great x n grandfather will not be the same species as you, but every parent was the same species as their parent.

(I’ve seen Dawkins explain this using the device of a pile of photographs of successive generations, but I can’t find it on YouTube.)

*I Am Not An Evolutionary Biologist

funkmasterp

Try taking some LSD.

Did this in my teenage years. Can’t recall much of a spiritual persuasion happening though. I bought several tins of Ambrosia creamed rice from the local shop and emptied then all in to my friends kitchen sink. I was convinced that Ambrose the cat was trapped inside one of them.

More mind bending than expanding 😀

SaxonRider

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There is no first chicken. There were proto-chickens, and now there are ‘what we currently call chickens’.

We humans tend to think of singular entities and beginnings and ends. I think maybe that such thinking is fuelledby our hard-to-escape projection. As in ‘we are born, we are us, and then we die’? There is no time in our lives where we ‘evolved’. We were ‘created’ and then we faced entropy. This is a very different experience to the foregone millennia and epochs of speciation/evolution. It’s lot for us to wrap our minds around in a short lifetime.

Discounting poetic/journo license there also is no ‘first human’. Evolution happens to populations. Likewise, do we ask – ‘What came first, the human or the womb? The sperm or the egg?’

We know that the wheel came before the bike, but that is a slightly different matter. Unless you were to stretch the analogy to include wheel-less proto-bikes such as pre-wheeled hobby-horses. In fact that may be a decent analogy for those who are stuck with ‘creator’ thought? But my intention here isn’t a setup for a ‘what came first, the hobby-horse or the hobby-horse-builder?’-type question. Again, anthropocentrism trips us up.

But there was no ‘first chicken’, AFAIK.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cont’d –

A hobby-horse became a bike when it had a wheel put on it and someone called it a bike. Or was that pedals? Proto-bike is a difficult beastie. Was it ever settled – who made the first bike?

So the occupant of the egg become a ‘chicken’ as soon as we called it a chicken. It’s a word. Before the word it was a name-less bird. Bird is still a word.

Bird bird bird. Bird is the word. I’m going for a ride tonight to think about this some more. But am pretty sure that bird is the word.

[video]https://youtu.be/2WNrx2jq184[/video]

martinhutch

Bird bird bird. Bird is the word

Damn you. That’s in my head now.

hodgynd
    Free Member

So has the Bird become a Bike ..Aeris would have us believe so..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ma ma ma ooh maw maw, mamma oo maw maw.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s the Satanists I feel sorry for.

Reviled by the religious and atheist alike.

miketually
    Free Member

If SaxonRider prays to God for this thread to end and it doesn’t…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Speciation occurs over time, it’s not a one generation event.

Your father was the same species as you. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him. His father was the same species as him….

However, there will be a point where your great x n grandfather will not be the same species as you, but every parent was the same species as their parent.

This is a little of what i was asking about gene lengthening. Because for all the breeding, interbreeding, cross-breeding of dogs all dogs still have the same gene length.

mattyfez

So has the Bird become a Bike ..Aeris would have us believe so

We live in Hope.

Junkyard
    Free Member

For the record, I can’t ride a bike. I’m sorry.

Google drew a blank and never heard this so a genuine request for info not a dig.

SaxonRider

miketually – Member 

😀

Actually… are you making assumptions about me?

mefty
    Free Member

This is a little of what i was asking about gene lengthening. Because for all the breeding, interbreeding, cross-breeding of dogs all dogs still have the same gene length.

Can you expand on this – or indicate some further reading – was disappointed your point was never fully developed.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can you expand on this – or indicate some further reading – was disappointed your argument was never fully developed.

it’s more of a question really, in that species have different gene lengths, and longer genes are in more complex animals but genes don’t lengthen in an evolutionary way, the require a different sort of step change.

mefty
    Free Member

Thank you for the reply, interesting question – was hoping it might be your area – which I haven’t worked out yet.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, it’s not, but poah started to address it.
    Thing is, mutation is ok and i can see this modifying species as they develop, but that species jump in complexity, to become a new species seems less evolutiony

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Were you the guy trying to disprove evolution in the other thread? I don’t know what you’ve been reading now but it’s common knowledge that genome size can increase by duplication, insertion, or polyploidization. Bioinformatics has also highlighted that it takes very few mutations to drive speciation – it can be done in as little as 15,000 years to several million (see African lake Cichlids).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4353498/

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cichlid fish adaptive radiationis characterized by rapid speciation without geographical isolation. In Lake Victoria, several hundred endemic species emerged within the past 15,000–100,000 year

miketually
    Free Member

Modern humans arose a few hundred thousand years ago. We only domesticated dogs a few tens of thousand years ago.

Time…

miketually
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Actually… are you making assumptions about me?[/quote]

I was commenting on the image only.

I knew two priests called David. One would pray for a parking space, the other thought that if God didn’t intervene to stop a tsunami why would he help find a parking spot.

I’d not assume.

poah
    Free Member

it’s more of a question really, in that species have different gene lengths, and longer genes are in more complex animals but genes don’t lengthen in an evolutionary way, the require a different sort of step change.

you mean genomes not genes.. Genes do mutate e.g. sickle cell anaemia is a single point mutation that changes an amino acid in B-haemoglobin. The only upside of this disease is that it protects against malaria so in the sub-Saharan Africa, where 80% of the disease occurs, provides an advantage.

poah
    Free Member

Thing is, mutation is ok and i can see this modifying species as they develop, but that species jump in complexity, to become a new species seems less evolutiony

its totally evolutionary tbf lol it doesn’t happen in one jump.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

But it’s a pretty easy question either way – evolutionists will say egg, creationists chicken.

Is that the 19thC ‘evolutionist’ or modern (mis)usage? Really only used by a certain subset of science-deniers I mean Creationists Biblical literalists argumentative persons?

SaxonRider

I’d not assume.

8)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

its totally evolutionary tbf lol it doesn’t happen in one jump

duplication, insertion, or polyploidization.

Exactly, and these aren’t mutation processes

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Duplication, insertions and deletions are all considered to be mutations.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

duplication, insertions and deletions are all considered to be mutations

How is duplication a mutation?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Because it is usually the result of errors in DNA replication. These changes can alter the expression of proteins because the sequence is transcribed to the wrong part of the genome. A mutation is not limited to nonsense or missense types.

poah
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Duplication, insertions and deletions are all considered to be mutations.

Duplication means gaining another copy of a gene its not a mutation like the other two.

insertions can be considered a mutation if the DNA disrupts the gene

deletion can either be removing a gene or a mutation in the DNA that causes a codon change.

you can see this between humans and chimp.

*Humans have acquired 689 new gene duplicates and lost 86 since diverging from our common ancestor with chimps six million years ago. Similarly, they reckoned that chimps have lost 729 gene copies that humans still have.

*C&P

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The definitions that I have seen state that they can be considered mutations , due to the reasons stated in my last post.

An insertion that did not alter gene expression would be considered a silent mutation.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

From the US national library of medicine

A duplication consists of a piece of DNA that is abnormally copied one or more times. This type of mutation may alter the function of the resulting protein.

kimbers

One is examining something external
    The other is examining something internal

this question has already been posed

nice one bruvvvaaaaaaa

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyo-9WqOPoU[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 967 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for another religion thread?’ is closed to new replies.