• This topic has 966 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 967 total)
  • Anyone for another religion thread?
  • badnewz
    Free Member

The New Atheists assume Christians believe in a God of the gaps/placeholder to cover lack of current scientific knowledge. Hence the science vs faith dichotomy.
    But Christians worship the creator and sustain-er of the universe, including the bits we already know about, like the law of gravity.

I’m a Christian. I go to church. It makes me happy. It works for me.
    I have no interest whatsoever in trying to convince anyone else that it’s what they should do.
    I don’t give a monkeys hump what anyone else chooses to believe. That’s their business.

To an extent, but Christianity is a proselytizing religion, I will make you fishers of men, etc

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well of course the C of E is for people who don’t actually believe in God.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Athiest here, yo. Who was there to witness all the Old Testament goings on? Did Adam and Eve make notes on their downfall? Blind faith in a book is utter cobblers, nowt wrong with assuming a code to live by but there’s any number of good thick books that could be analysed and each scene made a Parabel. Take Lord if the Rings for example. It’s teachings include eat a second breakfast and don’t **** with big spiders. Food for thought I’m sure you’ll agree…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well done, trollgrips.

tjagain

Religion is like a penis. Its fine to have one, its OK to be proud of it. Just please don’t wave it around in public and try to stuff it down peoples throats

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Article that suggests athiests don’t know much about what believers believe, but make assumptions instead.

Did you read it?

miketually
    Free Member

Some atheists posting here are confirming the survey being reported in the article.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

Point of note here whilst we’re discussing not understanding each other: It’s not that we believe there is no god, rather that we don’t believe that there is a god. Atheism does not require a belief system.

Yep. I think you were agreeing with me/reinforcing my point but I’m not 100% so just to add, that’s exactly what I meant.

Malvern Rider – Member

Let me get this right- a ‘poll’ found that the vast majority of (polled) ‘athiests’ believe that a vast majority of Christians reject evolution?

And this is the problem. Christianity specifically contradicts evolution. The christian creation myth is disproved by evolution. That’s why it was such an incredible hot potato when it was first mooted. Of course, that’s old testament and people draw a line between that and new- but it was the word of god.

So if you’re a christian, but you disregard one part of the bible, as many do then- what’s making the other bits that you haven’t disregarded special? Why should we respect faith-based distaste for homosexuality, for instance, from someone who has other positions that are contrary to that faith.

In some ways I find fundamentalism worthy of respect. Like Rees Mogg’s position on abortion- I think it’s horribly wrong but he stands by it and he has what to him are good reasons.

tjagain

NOrthwind

Rees Mogg is still a pick and chose christian. “It is easier for a (rope of) camel (hair) to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven”

“I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.”

“If thou lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shall ye lay upon him interest.”

slowoldman

In some ways I find fundamentalism worthy of respect. Like Rees Mogg’s position on abortion- I think it’s horribly wrong but he stands by it and he has what to him are good reasons.

On the other hand fundamentalists stick to the letter of the scripture despite how the passage of time may affect the interpretation of the words.

nickc

atheists have read a bit too much Dawkins, which seems to turn them into dicks.

reading any Dawkins turns anybody into a dick TBH, you don’t need to be an atheist.

argoose
    Free Member

I’m glad to be an agnostic

Cougar

Holding up Dawkins as a posterboy representative for all Atheists is about as relevant as quoting Leviticus to represent modern Christianity. Ie, not at all, they’re both lazy cheap-shot arguments.

Cougar

I’m glad to be an agnostic

Are you sure?

user-removed
    Free Member

This latest religion beating thread at least started with some sort of a point.

But really. You don’t have to have faith but it’s important not to be stupid or hateful isn’t it?

tjagain

Cougar – Leviticus is more than a little odd but the bible is either the word of god or it isn’t and the other two quotes are new testament IIRC

Leviticus is fun ‘cos its so completely bonkers

argoose
    Free Member

Yep suits me sir

miketually
    Free Member

Holding up Dawkins as a posterboy representative for all Atheists is about as relevant as quoting Leviticus to represent modern Christianity. Ie, not at all, they’re both lazy cheap-shot arguments.

Dawkins is relevant as the religion he attacks is the religion inaccurately imagined by the people surveyed.

miketually
    Free Member

This latest religion beating thread at least started with some sort of a point.

To get back to the original point of the thread, I’m an atheist and I think I have a pretty good idea of mainstream UK Anglican beliefs, but I’d agree that many atheists don’t.

Cougar

This latest religion beating thread

Are we reading the same thread?

If anything, it’s (at least initially) an atheist-bashing thread. Sure, we’ve got the usual suspects being inflammatory for the luls, but discussing <> bashing, non?

tjagain

I think most folk who are atheists actually know a fair bit about religion. I would love to see the methodology as well as Its been commissioned by a religious institution to meet their needs

Cougar

Its been commissioned by a religious institution to meet their needs

… allegedly.

But yeah, I’d like to see the working also.

molgrips
    Free Member

No you aren’t. You said, “Article that suggests athiests don’t know much about what believers believe, but make assumptions instead.”

I simply told you what the article suggested. I didn’t say that I agreed with it. Very important distinction. I read it, and shared it, because it’s relevant to the arguments we have on here. I have no idea what percentage of atheists believe that about Christians – I didn’t do the study. I have no idea how well the study was conducted.

But anyway:

A lot of atheists are exactly confirming the findings of the study. That is – you don’t really understand what Christians believe.

Christianity specifically contradicts evolution.

No it doesn’t. There is no one Christian creed, is there? This is exactly the point. You don’t have to treat the bible as literal truth. You just don’t. Only a minority of Christians do. We’ve got the Pope telling us that evolution and the big bang are real – how much more proof do you need that Christianity doesn’t contradict evolution?

molgrips
    Free Member

Rather ironic though that some atheist posters are getting the hump about being told what they believe, whilst simultaneously doing it to Christians 😆

Northwind

molgrips – Member

We’ve got the Pope telling us that evolution and the big bang are real – how much more proof do you need that Christianity doesn’t contradict evolution?

That’s not proof that christianity doesn’t contradict evolution- it’s proof that many christians are prepared to ignore inconvenient or outmoded parts of their holy text, while simultaneously saying that other things they believe are the word of god and have meaning because it’s in the bible. If anything you’re just arguing my point.

The other thing about this is that it’s a moving target; today’s modern christians are very often recognisably different from 1970s modern christians, and 1930s modern christians. My gran considered most of her practitioners to be apostate and wanted them kicked out of the church. In 2050, what other things will have been abandoned as outmoded or no longer relevant? I reckon that the overwhelming majority of popes would consider the current one a heretic.

tjagain

Molgrips – Christianity states quite clearly that the earth is 4000 yrs old and created in 8 days. Christianity also clearly states the bible is the word of god.

Some “Christians” try to explain the discrepancy between scientific knoledge and the bible as allegory or something similar. Thats dancing around the fact that the bible is bunkum.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – Christianity states quite clearly that the earth is 4000 yrs old and created in 8 days. Christianity also clearly states the bible is the word of god.

Firstly, no, it doesn’t state the earth is 4,000 years old. That number (actually 6,000) was calculated by someone adding up the ages of all the people listed in the old testament AFAIK. Secondly, where does ‘Christianity’ clearly state that the bible is the word of God? Since when does Christianity have one single spokesperson?

Pope Francis has said that the big bang and evolution are real. Are you seriously claiming you, an atheist, know more about what Christianity thinks than THE ACTUAL POPE? Think about how ridiculous you are being!

If there’s one person who can claim to have authority on Christianity, it’s the Pope! I know you can be cocky at times but claiming you know more about Christianity than the Pope takes the biscuit 😆

miketually
    Free Member

The survey wasn’t about what the Bible says, it was about what atheists think Christians believe.

I know many Christians, including one with a physics PhD. As far as I know, none of them believe that Genesis is anything other than allegory.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Who’s the pop?

BigJohn

I believe in God. Just like I believe there are concepts like conscience, intelligence, love, fear, shame etc. They are all in your head and nowhere else. Pretty hard to deny them. So prayer is like talking to yourself and thinking about stuff. A bit like meditation. No wonder it helps.

When you die the lights go out.

So I guess I believe in God but I don’t believe in God.

codybrennan
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    I’m a Christian. I go to church. It makes me happy. It works for me.
    I have no interest whatsoever in trying to convince anyone else that it’s what they should do.
    I don’t give a monkeys hump what anyone else chooses to believe. That’s their business.

It’s not about who’s right or wrong. It’s about what works for the individual.

Same here. I’m happy for anyone and happy to know and even be a friend of that someone, if you’re living a decent life, as a decent person, in a decent manner. End of.

My own weirdo mysticism is my own lookout, and its entirely personal and subjective, based on my own experiences. You may well have decided that a voice speaking to you from nowhere as you walked along, reassuring you that its all part of some meaningful design and just to be zen about it, leaving you with a sense of calm more profound than anything else you ever experienced, was actually the onset of some kind of mental breakdown- for me, it was an answer to a question I’d been asking ‘something’ for years.

YMMV. But hey, just dont be a dick, its all anyone can ask of you.

xx

perchypanther
    Free Member

If there’s one person who can claim to have authority on Christianity, it’s the Pope!

Catholicism maybe, but there are many more flavours of Christianity who think that the Pope ain’t all that.

tjagain

Molgrips – its how its written – god says, the lord said etc. sorry about the 4000 yr thing tho – yo are right on that.

Otherwise this :

That’s not proof that christianity doesn’t contradict evolution- it’s proof that many christians are prepared to ignore inconvenient or outmoded parts of their holy text, while simultaneously saying that other things they believe are the word of god and have meaning because it’s in the bible. If anything you’re just arguing my point.

SaxonRider

I wonder why it is you never hear about atheists slaughtering other atheists for not being the proper sort of atheist.

No, just the wrong sort of nationality.

And the wrong sort of class.

😀

SaxonRider

Incidentally, I should add that I don’t actually think atheists kill people any more than religious people kill people. People kill people, and use any excuse they can to do it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    If there’s one person who can claim to have authority on Christianity, it’s the Pope!
    Catholicism maybe, but there are many more flavours of Christianity who think that the Pope ain’t all that.

And I would add- its even more complex than that if you’re actually a Catholic- which Pope?

The day I walked into the house- I think I was 16- and argued with my ‘only RC goes to heaven!’ uncle that, as RC, we weren’t even the direct descendants of the church of Peter but we were the splitters! was one of the greatest days of my life. As a profound, lifelong Catholic- he didn’t even know that. No-one had told him.

Follow your heart and try and commune with whatever is out there, its just words in a book, the real words are written elsewhere.

Look at G’Kar for an example of how the words get warped. Coffee stains….

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – its how its written – god says, the lord said etc.

It says that in the Bible, yes. But if you don’t believe everything in the Bible is literal truth, then you don’t need to believe it just because it says that….

tjagain

circular arguement molgrips. If the bible says ” god said” and its contradicted by science and you don’t believe that bit how can you believe any bit.

Its not a pick and mix.

jimjam
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

I wonder why it is you never hear about atheists slaughtering other atheists for not being the proper sort of atheist.

No, just the wrong sort of nationality.

And the wrong sort of class.

😀

Those atrocities weren’t perpetrated because of the absence of a belief in a god, or in the name of atheism. When a christian kills someone it needn’t be in the name of god, similarly when an atheist kills someone it’s not in the name of the non existence of god. Communism is a belief system that allows you to allign with a group, target another group and if they are successful kill them and take their stuff. In that respect it’s like a religion.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the bible says ” god said” and its contradicted by science and you don’t believe that bit how can you believe any bit.

Easily. You can believe that the stories are allegory if you like. Why shouldn’t you? Who says you have to take it all literally?

You could treat it as what it is, which is a collection of historical writings about religion and events. And you could look for the word of God buried within the words of men. If you wanted to.

If Christians want to do that then they can. It’s not up to you to tell Christians how to worship, is it?

Its not a pick and mix.

Yes it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 967 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for another religion thread?’ is closed to new replies.