Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone for another helmet debate?
  • grum
    Free Member

Quite an interesting article although I skimmed some of it as it’s pretty long.

The National Ski Areas Association reports that TBIs are the leading cause of skiing and snowboarding fatalities. And the numbers are growing. In 2004, 9,308 skiers and snowboarders suffered head injuries they deemed serious enough to visit a doctor. By 2010, that number had jumped to 14,947.

……

What the numbers don’t reveal is that the rise in brain injuries has happened during a period when helmet use among skiers and snowboarders has increased by 20 percent.

So does that mean that wearing helmets increases the risk of brain injury? 😛

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/injury-prevention/After-the-Crash.html?page=all

irc

Risk compensation. Wear helmet, feel safer, crash at higher speeds.

Even Australia is having second thoughts on the issue. A Queensland Parliament committee says

The Committee is concerned that the introduction of mandatory helmet laws may have had an unintended, adverse impact on cycling participation rates in Queensland and therefore the overall health of the state. It also believes there is sufficient evidence provided by the Northern Territory example that a relaxation of mandatory helmet laws in lower risk situations (such as cycling on footpaths and on dedicated cycle paths), does not inevitably reduce the safety of cycling.
    The Committee is therefore of the view that relaxing mandatory helmet laws in specific circumstances is likely to increase cycling participation rates with a range of associated health benefits and economic benefits in tourism areas. The Committee also believes that a relaxation of mandatory helmet laws may assist in normalising the perception of cyclists by motorists.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/committees/THLGC/2013/INQ-CYC/rp-39-29Nov13.pdf

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

You’re expecting people on here to accept that folks bimbling along traffic free routes at barely more than walking pace AREN’T suicidal nutters who should be locked up for going helmetless?

Good luck.

torihada
    Free Member

Blah blah blah. Save yourself some time and read the old helmet threads.

grum
    Free Member

I wasn’t really advocating another debate – just thought it was an interesting article.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes I am was sporting for a good copy and paste session…..

torihada
    Free Member

grum – Member
    I wasn’t really advocating another debate – just thought it was an interesting article.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Sorry, came off a bit harsh: I remembered all the old arguments and rants and…..blah blah blah

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps the increased numbers are inexperienced folk so the injuries have increased?

I cannot see any real way a helmet can be causal in a crash though risk compensation is interesting and probably a factor to some degree. However, at its most extreme, you could argue PPE causes accidents as without it you would not do the activity. Without a harness you would not climb a tree for example. The reality is some pursuits are dangerous and accidents will happen.

bigant

Hey, what about that badger cull?

jonba
    Free Member

Number of skiers changed? relative proportion of beginners/experts changed?
    also change in attitudes. I think people now see it as an extreme sport so want jumps, off piste, pushy runs etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for another helmet debate?’ is closed to new replies.