Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone for a sociable Pentlands amble this Saturday (10th Oct)?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Currently without car, and bored of trekking round the hills on my tod (riding buddies aren't very reliable!), so would be good to meet some of the Pentlands riders I know lurk on here, and try out some lesser-ridden routes.

Weather currently looks OK for Saturday, although will no doubt be a bit sloppy by the end of the week!

robgarrioch

My sometime riding assassin (kills me every time), who couldn't make Gypsy Glen last week, has asked to go round Gypsy on Saturday.. But if it falls through, definitely be keen. Probably be going up Sunday anyway, if it's of interest.

(minor off-topic q Kit; brilliant landscape clarity on your photos; do you use RAW format by any chance? or solely digital?)

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

there is a ride which leaves westgarth avenue in Colinton at 10am every saturday which is friendly and open to all. It is loosely associated with ERC (roadies) but don't let that put you off, it really is mtber's 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I would have been up for it but it's my birthday and i'll more than likely be recovering from the night before! I might be more alive on Sunday if that helps?

Kit
    Free Member

Sunday is a possibility, aye. I know about the ERC Saturday rides, but keep forgetting to join them!

(Rob, don't usually shoot in RAW. I'm currently photo editor-less, but 99% of photos I take are 10MP JPEGs anyway. Tried taking RAW last weekend but my camera is a bit slow at saving them, so can't take more than 2 or 3 before it stops to chug away onto the memory card.)

robgarrioch

PG – hey, a birthday buddy! Mine on Saturday too 8)

Will keep an eye on this & see what entertainment will be had.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Cheers Rob, you too!

Kit
    Free Member

Well Saturday has been ruled out for me now, so is Sunday do-able for folk?

Thinking 10am, car park by Bonaly Scout Camp. Route to be made up as we go along!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sounds good to me!

Garry_Lager

Sounds good Kit – I rode with you at Dalbeattie the other week. Pencil me in – should be able to make Sun am no prob,

Kit
    Free Member

Excellent! Will resurrect this thread during the week to see if we have any more takers.

Offroading
    Free Member

What end of the hills you guys doing ? Im up the Balerno end.

Kit
    Free Member

Hadn't thought about it too much, but depending how many of us there are, I'd like to check out some stuff on/off/around Allermuir and Hillend. However weather might dictate how high we go! And a route could involve heading over Harlaw direction…

kennyp
    Free Member

I'm off hillwalking on the 10th, but a few of us (well three so far) are planning to head off from Bonaly Corner Shop at 6.30 next Wednesday (14th) for a couple hours night riding.

kennyp
    Free Member

I'd like to check out some stuff on/off/around Allermuir and Hillend

Not sure how much decent biking there is there. Some great downhills for certain, but most of the uphill stuff would be pushing.

Kit
    Free Member

I'm off hillwalking on the 10th, but a few of us (well three so far) are planning to head off from Bonaly Corner Shop at 6.30 next Wednesday (14th) for a couple hours night riding

I could well be up for that.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'll probably be up in the Pentlands both days, so if you see a black Epic (or a red Inbred or grey Soul) it'll probably be me. I'm also based in Balerno so will be along that end.

IMHO the best bit of riding in the Pentlands is the descent down to Balerno from near Thriepmuir using the trails in the treelines.

yetidave
    Free Member

Maybe join in for this, so long as the emphasis is on slow! not been on a bike for about 10weeks due to a back injury…

ojom
    Free Member

[smug mode]
    I would but i will be in San Francisco so i cant.

Maybe another time.
    [/smug mode]

AntM
    Free Member

they have earthquakes there don't they…. 😯

robgarrioch

Sounds a good 'un – have a regular route climbing from Bonaly up to Allermuir, down to Glencorse, (road section) across to Bavelaw, back to & over Black Hill & towards the ranger centre (or the other way round). Good climbing & even some descending! See what the consensus / weather is Sunday..

radoggair
    Free Member

I would but i will be in San Francisco so i cant

ah, going to the big gay parade thats on then ???

kennyp
    Free Member

You're more than welcome Kit.

ojom
    Free Member

The gay parade is the only reason to go isnt it! hope the GF doesnt mind though eh? 😀

earthquakes….pfft. arent they just theme park rides for tourists they put on?

13thfloormonk

The unrideable bits on allermuir are very short, and aren't actually unrideable, just require a bit of luck or a sticky rear tyre!

Can i just recommend the Mortonhall area for anyone who hasn't explored it properly. I spent a short night ride last night looping different sections of bone dry rooty singletrack, and i suspect i haven't even ridden everything thats there.

The Balerno descent is lovely and dry at the moment, tried hitting it full speed yesterday with my rigid forks fitted, ouch!

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Balerno descent is lovely and dry at the moment, tried hitting it full speed yesterday with my rigid forks fitted, ouch!

I've been riding it quite a lot lately and the muddy bits have definitely receded a lot in the last couple of weeks. I've ridden it with rigid forks as well and it's definitely hard on the wrists on the rooty bits lower down.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sounds like this will be a good ride. I might pop along for the night ride too, i'll see how my plans work out.

YetiDave – I'll keep you company 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for a sociable Pentlands amble this Saturday (10th Oct)?’ is closed to new replies.