Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone following the final round of matches in the County Championship?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

😯

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I don’t usually follow it – but a rain delay with Yorks 1 run away from a crucial bonus point with 1 wkt remaining – that’s tension!

alanf
    Free Member

Somerset will have it wrapped up by close of play.
    Notts needing 480 with 3 down – Only the weather gods can save them.

johndoh
    Free Member

Somerset will have it wrapped up by close of play.

I guess that depends on how long the rain delay goes on for and what happens when Yorkshire walk back out – they didn’t do too well straight after lunch.

theotherjonv

I fancy Zummerset under normal circumstances, not enough time left at Lords on a flat pitch to get a result.

But…… it won’t be normal circumstances, it’ll be declaration cricket to contrive to produce a result. So could go either way at this stage.

One of the Middx batters to get 100 in 50 odd balls though, might be worth a bet.

johndoh
    Free Member

First hurdle cleared…

Houns

Yup, tuned in here

Pigface
    Free Member

Saw some the other day, the crowd seemed to consist of no one 😐

johndoh
    Free Member

Now we have got past 350, the sledgehammers have come out 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

😯 dare we believe?

martinhutch

Depends if Middlesex carry on rolling over…

ads678

Somerset still in with a chance if its a draw at Lords!!

Reckon it’s Yoooooorkshires to lose now though.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, I think it would need a weather intervention now if it’s to be anyone’s but Yorkshire’s (from the BBC updates, it seems every other ball is a potential wicket ATM).

theotherjonv

Bit different this morning…….

New ball in 25 overs, by which time the lead will be ca 80-90 at this rate. That’s Yorkshire’s last chance to win the game ‘properly’; if they can’t get Middx cheaply with it then they’re relying on Middx to set them a gettable target and contrive a finish.

I’m sticking with Zummerset, be fab to see them win it for the first time*

* incredible really, but shows the influence of weather in winning the county champs.

ransos
    Free Member

New ball in 25 overs, by which time the lead will be ca 80-90 at this rate. That’s Yorkshire’s last chance to win the game ‘properly’; if they can’t get Middx cheaply with it then they’re relying on Middx to set them a gettable target and contrive a finish.

Given that a draw suits neither side, I suspect that the captains will have a discussion, should Middlesex still be batting well into the afternoon.

Meanwhile, Lancs are in the middle of a Lancs-up.

johndoh
    Free Member

So frustrating – at 2-2 yesterday it seemed it was all sewn up but things have gone to pot. And I doubt the conditions will be helping Yorkshire today either.

Still – what a way to end a season!

ransos
    Free Member

So frustrating – at 2-2 yesterday it seemed it was all sewn up but things have gone to pot. And I doubt the conditions will be helping Yorkshire today either.

Still – what a way to end a season!

I’m not so sure – had Yorkshire taken a couple of early wickets then Middlesex would’ve shut up shop, making it harder to take all ten. As it is, we might see a challenging declaration which Yorkshire will have to go for. It should be a cracking finish.

ransos
    Free Member

Declaration bowling at Lords… I wonder what score has been agreed?

johndoh
    Free Member

Well the way the pitch has played today, 6 an over is do-able. So is a crushing defeat.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s an incredibly generous declaration – bear in mind that Middlesex will need to set attacking fields in order to win.

Klunk
    Free Member

unlikely to bowl a team out in 40 overs even with an attacking field.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think with how crazy this match has been so far, anything could happen.

Klunk
    Free Member

10 wickets in 35 overs

TimP
    Free Member

9 to go

johndoh
    Free Member

Run rate going up…

theotherjonv

Intriguing. I hope it’s close but if not (say Yorkshire lose 6 wickets quickly) does the mentality of ‘well if we can’t win we don’t want you to either’ then come into play. Or is it better to win or die trying?

I know in the end the latter is the sane choice – if you can’t win who cares who does. But there’s that mentality in sport that means you hate to see someone else succeed at your expense.

TimP
    Free Member

And another down

Getting tighter

Klunk
    Free Member

apart from the runs in the first few overs it’s been very tight from middlesex.

Klunk
    Free Member

3 down

Klunk
    Free Member

rr upto 7

Klunk
    Free Member

yorkshire are going to be a 100 runs short scoring at this rate.

Klunk
    Free Member

7 down 65 needed from 6 swung to middlesex now !

Klunk
    Free Member

who would be a somerset fan!

8 down

johndoh
    Free Member

🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

won with a hat trick !

Houns

What a finish!

ransos
    Free Member

Wow. You have to feel a bit sorry for Somerset.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone following the final round of matches in the County Championship?’ is closed to new replies.