Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)
  • Anyone flown on Concorde?
  • samuri
    Free Member

We knew a 747 pilot who flew in them a lot. He didn’t like it. Said it was noisy and cramped. That said, he still thought it was awesome.

By the way, this was the same guy who said that as a passenger pilot, he was there for the one or two times in his career that something went wrong. The rest of the time he considered himself a glorified bus driver.
    His house was huge and seriously impressive but hellishly messy. His wife had died young and with him being away a lot, he would leave his son food packages on the table. His son was a child, around 12-13. He’d pick up his ‘Monday’ butties in the morning, and eat ‘Monday pot noodle’ that night. If he got to [two days after his dad was supposed to come back], the food package contained the phone number of a family member.

Great guy to talk to though. He’d be arrested nowadays for child abuse but his kid was perfectly normal and was absolutely fine. You know, apart from the fact he went on Jim’ll fix it and went to the bbc with Jim.

vikingboy
    Free Member

Locals probably got out the bunting when it stopped flying, shame though, an awesome spectacle…

nah mate – it was the highlight of the day that thing coming overhead. Everyone just stopped and watched it in awe. On the other hand the tedious drone of run of the mill jets really hacked me off personally.
    Watching that thing come in to land over the M25 one day with its stick like landing gear was superb.
    Reminds me of thunderbirds for some reason.

edhornby

I did the carpark jobs as a teenager at Farnborough airshow and all the cynical, seem it before types that went there still used to stop and applaud concorde, just special

Scamper
    Free Member

Like a few, sat on the m25 when one took off. Bloody Nora!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I used to fly Concord regularly through the 90s, ended up,being like any other commute. Ok to work on, except laptops were much bigger. The wrost part was the tourists who felt that it was such an exciting experience that it was ok to talk to you.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I was on it last weekend, at East Fortune airshow. Never flew in it though.
    The new Typhoon however, now there’s a weapon, straight vert up and down, slow flyby, afterburners….. fantastic piece of kit, what a racket!! 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

been inside one and seen them flying overhead many many times. Even viewed them taking off and landing from the old airport viewing platforms (before terrorism).

The sound was immense. I spent my whole childhood looking to the sky’s when I heard their rumble overhead. This happended lots.

As much as I like and respect BA, I must admit that it was only (imho) their pride, that prevented them selling the whole fleet to Virgin – which in turn has prevented thousands of travellers and many thousands of onlookers experiencing Concorde first hand. It’s a bit like the plane version of seeing an E type Jag on a sunny day 😀

Surely their should be a bit of give and take when it comes to preserving such a classic and amazing peice of potentially profit making engineering such as concorde. Shame but sometimes ( imho ) people maybe cannot see the bigger picture.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to see Concorde land in Nairobi in the 80s. It had brought a load of multi millionaire’s on a round the world trip. It left a few days later and we went back to see it leave, it was just incredible. I only ever saw it those two times.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

And for the OP – referring to your remarks in your first post – the big planes don’t need all the runway they use at LHR for take-off. They do derated take-offs at less than max engine power to preserve engine life.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So it was you I sat next to CM!!! 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Concorde didn’t really give us anything, but the 747, the A380 and the rest have done.

What a disappointingly soulless comment.

The main reason (at the time) that Concorde services were restricted to a handful of destinations was that the yanks were pissy that their boeing copy was clearly never going to work. It was arguably more of a technological achievement to get 120 blokes in suits drinking champagne flying 60,000 ft above the earth at Mach 2.04 than it was to get two blokes in funny suits to the moon.

The future we now have thanks to the busses with wings that you mention is future-lite by comparison.

ell_tell
    Free Member

A friend got married under one at Manchester Airport a couple of years ago. We got to go on a tour afterwards so that was pretty cool.

Northwind

You know Molgrips… I like you.

My gran only flew once in her entire life, but it was on concorde, quick trip to france and back. She said it was like a noisy bus and she didn’t really understand why people bother. But then I suppose that’s what comes of flying to a foreign country and never leaving the airport 😆

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Squidlord – Member
    the whole car shook and the noise was deafening, I kid you not – vicious power !!
    …an awesome spectacle
    Go and see the Vulcan at an airshow while you still can. Same engines. I doubt they can fly it at full chat anymore, but I had one go low over me when I was about 12. Had ringing ears and a stupid grin for days after that!

Same engines yes, but Concorde has reheat (or afterburners for our American friends) which makes it much louder!

samuri
    Free Member

I agree with zokes on this one. Concorde gave us something exciting and unusual. While I’m sure a lot of engineering went into an 747, it’s just a big bus. It’ll never make people feel special just by looking at it.

Big wings, moving nose, mahoosive engines. It doesn’t matter that it was too noisy or cramped or cost too much. IT COULD DO MACH 2! It was *just* like seeing an E type or a DB5. The DB5 was an awfully shit car but it’s been built with passion and style and soul. You’ll probably never see one in real life, you’ll certainly never drive one but look at the **** thing. It makes your groin move.

*that’s* what’s important, not the dull transfer of people from one side of the planet to the other.

gonefishin
    Free Member

In terms of engieering concorde was undoubtedly a greater achievement than the 747. In terms of impact on the lives of people the 747 delivered far more in practical terms. Phallic objects may well make your “groin move” but the “dull transfer of people from one side of the planet to the other” is of far more practical value.

zokes
    Free Member

The DB5 was an awfully shit car but it’s been built with passion and style and soul. You’ll probably never see one in real life, you’ll certainly never drive one but look at the **** thing. It makes your groin move.

I know where one lives round here. Very nice it is to see and hear too. Alas, I suspect you’re correct about me never driving it though 🙁

In terms of impact on the lives of people the 747 delivered far more in practical terms. Phallic objects may well make your “groin move” but the “dull transfer of people from one side of the planet to the other” is of far more practical value.

YAWN

We now aspire to get by, as opposed to aspiring to achieve. That’s not progress, if anything, it’s regress.

mcboo
    Free Member

Oh go on then, I was lucky enough to fly on it twice. Second time I had a regular business seat, I got to JFK straight from a nightclub, had been up all night with a pal in NY. The nice BA lady told me there was a Concorde leaving at the same time, do I want a seat?

It was small and cramped and very 1970s true. Best thing was take-off, we did a long slow arc out over Long Island with an amazing view of Manhattan as the sun came up. Once out over the Atlantic the whole thing just tipped back (and I mean right back, so steep you wouldnt be able to stand up) and up it went…..72,000ft in no time. Tiny little windows so you couldnt see much but def see the curve of the Earth, and above us, pure black outer space. About 3hr 15min flight time I think?

Oh and they served us lobster and Johnie Walker Blue Label.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly I never did. Was offered the switch once and stupidly turned it down due to family commitments. BA would often offer Saturday Concorde exchange for a business class Friday evening flight back from Kennedy as they were always booked out.

Lots of the senior people at the firm I unused to work at would fly it, they had to pay for it themselves but they thought the time saving was worth it and they could afford it. Yes it was cramped and loud but everyone loved “the rocket”

I watched the flyover in London when they were taken out of service, a day both of pride and sadness.

zokes
    Free Member

Johnie Walker Blue Label.

That’s the first shit thing I’ve heard about the plane 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

I was able to work on Concorde at BA Heathrow for my work experience week during school! Worked with Concorde Minor Engineers, best week ever! When we taxi’d it from T4 to the engineering workshop I was sat in the cockpit on the brakes! I nearly got a flight to NY but an engineer had to go due to an ‘issue’.

I could not have asked for a better work experience. :mrgreen:

I heard a lot of stories about Concorde, I am not surprised it isn’t flying anymore. It would be amazing to see it fly again tho.

gonefishin
    Free Member

We now aspire to get by, as opposed to aspiring to achieve.

You think that transporting a lot more people, far more efficiently, at lower cost, over longer distances is “getting by”?

zokes
    Free Member

You think that transporting a lot more people, far more efficiently, at lower cost, over longer distances is “getting by”?

I’d class it as the very definition of ‘getting by’, yes.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Then I’m afraid you don’t really understand how engineering works.

mcboo
    Free Member

We used to live in Fulham, when it came over into LHR we all used to stick our heads out the window and goggle at it, lot of pride in it.

zokes
    Free Member

Then I’m afraid you don’t really understand how engineering works.

I understand perfectly. But I’ll agree with you if you substitute ‘engineering’ for ‘economics’ in that sentence.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Economics is an intergral part of engineering. It’s all about doing more, with less and the better you do it, the fewer people will notice.

zokes
    Free Member

and the better you do it, the fewer people will notice.

Sadly, many people have noticed it now takes more than twice as long to cross the Atlantic than it used to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One thing that annoys me about not having Concorde any more is the time issue.

I spend far too long sitting in planes, flying around the place. Yes, I get a nice comfy seat, but to get to the East coast of the US for a Monday meeting means I have to give up my Sunday. Spend another night in a hotel, another night away from my family. Over the course of a year, Concorde would give me back whole days of time. Days that could be spent doing something far better than watching another rubbish film* and drinking chablis.

*Dunno why, but I always seem to choose rubbish films to watch on flights.

zokes
    Free Member

CFH understands engineering

ransos
    Free Member

It was arguably more of a technological achievement to get 120 blokes in suits drinking champagne flying 60,000 ft above the earth at Mach 2.04 than it was to get two blokes in funny suits to the moon.

Were women not allowed on Concorde? I guess its retirement really does herald progress then.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ll grant you that the fastest time to cross the atlantic has increased, however I doubt that the average time has changed much, especially as far more people can now afford to cross the Atlantic.

deadslow

Used to live in Ealing, south facing garden with the flight path left to right looking down the garden. You could hear it coming WAY WAY before you could see it. Very noisy but amazing. Sad day when it stopped.
    Been in one at Filton, never flown in one, but have sat in a Space Shuttle trainer when I had a VIP tour of mission control in Houston!

zokes
    Free Member

Were women not allowed on Concorde? I guess its retirement really does herald progress then.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ll grant you that the fastest time to cross the atlantic has lowered, however I doubt that the average time has changed much, especially as far more people can now afford to cross the Atlantic.

To CFH and many other frequent travellers, the average time has no bearing on their experience. The fact they’re stuck on a bus for an extra four hours, often meaning having to stay an extra night or lose some of the weekend does have a significant negative bearing on their experience.

I very much doubt the existence or not of concorde has had any effect on the price of flying on a bus. Following that argument, Ryanair has done more for progress 😯

TrekEX8
    Free Member

My wife and I went to New York on it in the early nineties – took 3hrs 26min to get there!
    Phenomenal noise, great acceleration, but tiny cabin and windows.
    A really sad day when it was withdrawn.

butterbean
    Free Member

Lots of times, as my father flew them. Probably wasted the opportunity as a kid in realising how lucky I was. Jump seat take offs in the cockpit were cool though.

I would love to go back and do it again now I could appreciate it a bit more.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Your missing the point I trying to make. The 747 and aircraft like it has allowed the cost of air travel to fall. This has allowed more people to enjoy it’s benefits and on that basis it has had more on an impact that Concorde.

Would business travellers still have been flying on Concorde had BA and Air France had to pay the actual price of the aircraft in the first place and charge people the actual cost of the flight rather than run it at a loss?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarksons book ‘I know You Got Soul’ has a brilliant chapter all about Concorde. Well worth a wee read.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The 747 and aircraft like it has allowed the cost of air travel to fall.

I remain unconvinced that this is a good thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Anyone flown on Concorde?’ is closed to new replies.