• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by wl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone flown globespan with a bike?
  • woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Looking at flights to Vancouver with flyglobespan. The £15 for sporting equipment isn’t too bad (although not as good as free with Zoom) but the conditions state a maximum for any piece of sporting equipment of 17kg. Might be a bit tight for my beefed up Giant Reign X in bike bag with padding all over.

Anyone had any experiences with globespan and bikes?

marty
    Free Member

flew back from mallorca with them a couple of years ago. bikes handled fine. one of the lads was charged for an overweight box (road bike in a muckle hard case).

Stu_N

Yes, they are fine, have used them a few times from Edinburgh to Malaga and paid the £15 and that’s been it.

Bike in soft bag with padding but nothing else hasn’t ever been a problem – I would be surprised if it’s less than 16kg but I have never been challenged on it.

Kit
    Free Member

I think I flew to Spain with them a couple of years ago – I believe there was a single item limit of 20kg, regardless, as well as the £15 each way fee. I certainly struggled to keep my Reign in its bag to under 20kg (worked out about 21-22kg, but no extra charge). Maybe they’ve changed it now though.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Brought a bike back from Vancouver, no problem, iirc it was $30.

RRD
    Free Member

Hold your horses there

I was caught out by them… Or specifically the luggage handlers in Calgary. No problem at Glasgow Airport, same bike, soft bike bag same weight (overweight I think) etc and charged at Calgary Airport. Hit for quite a lot. Oh and somehow I had no proof of having prepaid for a bike bag so got hit for that too. The Check in people (as I say not Globespan) were not interested. Showed me their rules, stuck to them and I was out of pocket by quite a bit.

BigR

Two separate groups went with them to Malaga from Edinburgh last year. I was the only mug who had stripped and packed my bike to make the weight limit. None were weighed and no problems.

I would be sure that you take your confirmation that you have paid for your bikes as you are more likely to need to show it on the return leg.

devs
    Free Member

Quite a lot of people got caught by them in Canada when they collapsed too. I’ve noticed by the adverts on TV that they are back but I don’t think I will be using them any time soon.

Stu_N

“devs – Member

Quite a lot of people got caught by them in Canada when they collapsed too. I’ve noticed by the adverts on TV that they are back but I don’t think I will be using them any time soon.”

Flyglobespan have never collapsed as far as I know. Zoom went bust (who did a lot of UK-Canada routes but they were an entirely separate airline and AFAIK nothing to do with Flyglobespan.

devs
    Free Member

I dunno if they collapsed altogether but they definately had difficulties and stranded lots of Scottish travellers across the pond. I’m sure I can remember Jackie Bird telling the nation of the misery. Hmmm, a quick google of globespan and stranded kicks up a worrying amount of hits!
    Clicky

devs
    Free Member

lammy
    Free Member

I brought back a Kona Stab from Vancouver in 2007. No questions asked by Globespan and no damage either.

Ps. If you are flying on one of their 737s, dont sit right next to the toilet cos believe me, it gets really annoying after 9 hours!! Also, bet you cant get the hostesses to smile!!

wl
    Free Member

Flew Manchester-Vancouver with my Patriot in padded bag – decided to pay for two bikes and not stress about the weight (which was way over their allowance for just one bike). Had no problems, though obviously paid £60 for the bike in total. If I were you, I’d just cough up and relax – your Giant will almost certainly be over the weight limit for one bike. And flying back, Globespan were stinging other people (non-bikers) for excess at Vancouver airport.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone flown globespan with a bike?’ is closed to new replies.