Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone fixed a phone GPS?
  • Garry_Lager

My phone (htc one) GPS is completely dead. Complete reboot hasn’t helped, so probably a hardware issue? I’ve seen a few write-ups of people opening the phones up to tinker with the connection to the GPS antenna, worth a go?

It’s a sealed unit so wondering if springing it open and messing about with it might prove to be a waste of time.

edlong
    Free Member

Probably of no help at all, but when I had this on a Galaxy SIII, a phone with a removable back cover, taking the cover off and tightening all the little screws holding the innards together (some of which were loose) fixed it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Seems to be a fairly common issue on samsung galaxies. Mine occasionally loses the signal but a little squeeze where the antenna is and its back. One day I’ll open it up for a proper fix but its not that bad yet. There’s a few write ups online for a repair. Might be similar for your HTC.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Keep searching on the internet. There where similar sounding problems with iPhone phone signal antennas. As these where located naturally around the edge of the phone dropping the phone had a habbit of damaging the connection.

I had an issue with old 4S wifi which was a know issue of bad chips, Apple said it wasn’t economically repairable and phone was 4 years old so its just a rarely used backup now.

As for opening it you could but connection may be soldered and thus not easily repairable.

footflaps

but connection may be soldered and thus not easily repairable.

unless you have a soldering iron, in which case it’s a 2sec fix to reflow the connection.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Soldering. The connections are tiny in general. Not something I’d try unless I was prepared to write the phone off.

Built my first computer from a box of bits in the 1970’s so familiar enough with soldering.

wardee
    Free Member

Have you installed any new apps? I tried installing “OS Locate” to my HTC one recently. It contains a bug and prevents GPS from working in other apps such as Google.maps.uninstalling OS locate fixed things instantly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fixed a phone GPS?’ is closed to new replies.