Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone fitted 4 MTBs on latest A6 avant roof?
  • funkyal
    Free Member

Was going to buy some Thule Wingbar Edge roofbars and 4 Thule Proride 591’s but apparently would only be enough space to fit 2. Even if i dont use the Edge version apparently you can only get 3 prorides on.

Anyone any suggestions. (I dont have a towbar)

_daveR
    Free Member

I only have two 591s but there is easily enough room to get 4 on the wing bars I have on my 2012 Avant.

honeybadgerx

Are they all 650b Orange Five’s? If not that’s probably where you’re going wrong 😀

pdw
    Free Member

Get standard aero bars and use T track mounts and you’ll manage 4 bikes easily. Can’t comment on the Edge bars but from the photos it does look like you lose some usable width.

funkyal
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas, Dave R are your wing bars the edge type or the ones that hang protrude past the rails?

_daveR
    Free Member

The ones that protrude past! I reckon if you put the 591s on in alternate directions you’d be fine.

Mail me if you want. I can get the tape measure out if you’d like?

roofracks
    Free Member

With the wingbar edge 9595 you have two lengths of bars. 89.6 cm and 97.6 cm.

The Thule WingBar Edge can be pushed inwards by a maximum of 12 cm. But this does not mean that is the case for your vehicle. It’s something that can’t be predicted. So based on that we will take the minimum lenght which is 77.6 cm.

If you don’t place your bikes staggered than the maximum number of Thule 591 ProRide’s you can mount is 2.

When you place 3 ProRide’s staggered they take up 65 cm. But that is really placing it tight next to each other, but regardless it leaves you 11cm to play with.

Hope it helps.

roofracks
    Free Member

If you use Thule 961 WingBars you can mount 4 Thule 591 ProRide’s

mrmoofo

What is the roof loading ?
    I have a A6 avant , but TBH, haven’t tried
    But you can get 4 on a BMW series 5 ….

warton
    Free Member

My mate gets 4 on the 2012 Passat, which is essentially the same car…

jamj1974

According to the STW stereotype – you should be asking if 4 Orange 5’s fit on the roof…

I too have a 2012 A6, but don’t use roof bars (yet) so can’t comment usefully…

slimsi
    Free Member

What tyres are you using is usually key on singletrack…

On standard bars we have had four bikes on an MG and a Saab neither as big as an A6…

iainc

will fit no problem if you top and tail the racks. I have 3 normally on wingbars on a 5 tourer and could get another 1 on with space left over

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Check the roof bar loading, and the car roof loading (don’t forget to factor in the weight of the roof bars and bike carriers).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fitted 4 MTBs on latest A6 avant roof?’ is closed to new replies.