Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone fancy testing my new elevation analyser app?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I suspect one exists but I could never find it. An app that allows you to load a gpx file and then analyse the route in detail to obtain data like.

– total elevation again.
    – total elevation for a selected section.

It’s a work in progress and the above has not yet been implemented, but I should have it done shortly.

You can drag the start / end markers to focus on a particular section OR you can zoom in by selecting a section of the graph.

Plan is to create something for bikepackers who have obtained a mega long route and want to analyse so as to be able to get an idea of daily mileage …

Elevation Analyser

I have also uploaded a GPX if anyone wants to try. Or you can try your own.

GPX TO USE

Do a save as on the GPX link.

Spin
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was looking for just such a thing today.

Unfortunately, although my GPX route appears when I drag it in the altitude data does not.

slowoldman

What terrain model are you using?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flanagaj
    Free Member

Unfortunately, although my GPX route appears when I drag it in the altitude data does not.

Does it contain elevation data? Send me a link if you can put it somewhere and I will have a look.

What terrain model are you using?

I am using OpenLayers 3 and Open street map. I was planning on using a REST service to get altitude data for Lat/Lng points if there is no elevation data in the GPX, but most of them limit you to X requests / day and a route can contain many thousand points.

Please keep comments coming as I do want to try and build this out for the cycle community to use.

bruneep

I only get zero elevation? can the units be changed miles-km?

not sure what use your app is as all the info is on strava

flanagaj
    Free Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but Strava does not provide total elevation gain with respect to distance from start?

So although you might have a 7500ft total elevation ride you cannot see how that gain is achieved.

If you then take a multi day ride then elevation gain on a daily basis becomes much more important.

bruneep

This?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Plan I have is to drag the pointer along the elevation graph and it displays accumulated elevation for the point. So you can see how much elevation has been gained at any given distance of the route. Does it provide that?

bruneep

probably best you create an account on strava etc to see what they offer.

At the moment I can’t get anything to work on your app. no elevation and the units stuck in miles.

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t think Strava does have cumulative elevation at any given point of the ride does it? It only gives total elevation at the end and the elevation of a given point.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I don’t think Strava does have cumulative elevation at any given point of the ride does it? It only gives total elevation at the end and the elevation of a given point.

Thanks for confirming.

@bruneep – It’s a work in progress and I currently convert to miles be default, but allowing metres/km & miles/ft is another thing I’ll add to the list.

Was the route you tried loading one that definitely had elevation data or was Strava sourcing the elevation data itself?

Spin
    Free Member

Does it contain elevation data?

The route I loaded was a gpx file downloaded from Suunto Movescount so I assume it contains elevation data.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Would you have a link?

I would get you to post to my email address, but reluctant to post in the forum.

Spin
    Free Member

A link to what?

Can we not PM through the forum now?

bruneep

My gpx file came from my garmin device so I’d imagine it has elevation data on it

flanagaj
    Free Member

@Spin – I have sent you a PM.

@Bruneep – Ok, thanks.

buckster
    Free Member

I think viewranger does this. Once you have your ride completed, you can drag the cursor back and forward along the route and see the stats for that point in time.

It calculates

Min Altitude
    Max Altitude
    Distance
    Average speed
    Time
    Altitude Loss
    Altitude gain

All at any point on the route

flanagaj
    Free Member

I think viewranger does this. Once you have your ride completed, you can drag the cursor back and forward along the route and see the stats for that point in time.

It calculates

Min Altitude
    Max Altitude
    Distance
    Average speed
    Time
    Altitude Loss
    Altitude gain

All at any point on the route

Ok. Thanks. I banged onto Viewranger for ages about doing this. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut.

I’ll have a peruse tonight as I stopped using ViewRanger due to the poor elevation functionality.

buckster
    Free Member

ah, sorry! I think they have just released a new version as I also gained the ‘skyline’ feature which is quite fun.

flanagaj
    Free Member

ah, sorry!

Story of my life. I also just released an app that enables people to comment and post there pointless rubbish for others who might be interested to read. But someone just informed me about some app called Facebook?

Always seem to be one step behind on the ideas front.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fancy testing my new elevation analyser app?’ is closed to new replies.