Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Anyone fancy opining on an expensive status trinket?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Kind of. Turning 40 soon and fancy a posh watch to pass on. Set on an IWC pilot chrono but can’t decide black face or grey (spitfire model).
    Will be going for a (brown) leather rather than a bracelet, but you get the idea;

I know, I know. Pointless, and my Gshock is a far better time teller etc.
    But this is what it is and I am completely torn. I know there are some informed peeps here. Black is classic and bold, but that sunburst grey…..

nickdavies

Sunburst grey. So much better in light.

And don’t let anyone tell you the g shock is better!

wrecker
    Free Member

And don’t let anyone tell you the g shock is better!

Lets be honest, as a practical thing which tells you the time, it is leagues ahead. It’s ugly, it’s soul-less, it’s hard as **** nails, needs a new battery every ten years and keeps impeccable time. I do love the Gshocks. I just want something nice.
    Thanks for the opinion, I’m leaning that way too.

Saccades
    Free Member

logged in to say the spitfire model.

nice.

nickdavies

Older model but does the dial a bit more justice.. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Nice, nick, but there is a slight price difference.
    The older spitfire had an in-house movement, as such they were suitably more expensive. The one linked here is just a different face colour, and a polished bezel. The bracelets have alternate polished links. same price, same modded ETA movement, essentially same watch. It’s just a cosmetic choice really.
    The black is more legible, more authentic, more tool-ey. For the proper watch geezer (which I am not), more proper. But that grey is really nice.

LeeW

My own personal choice would be the grey face on the brown leather strap, black face on a black leather strap.

Go have a look in a dealership, have them in your hand under shop lights (a good dealer would let you look at them in daylight). That should help sway your decision.

LeeW

Also, you may be surprised with the price if you can find a new old stock 3706 model (from memory).

I bought a Zenith El Primero Grande Class Chronograph last month for £2500. From around 2012, never worn, £7000 when new – still had price ticket on it. Big watches aren’t in fashion at the moment with collectors.

Drac

Don’t forget to try it for size first.

cranberry
    Free Member

Drac – there is a subtle, but important difference between:

Turning 40 soon and fancy a posh watch to pass on

and

Turning 40 soon and fancy a posh watch to pass

Either way I guess the leather strap is the right way to go.

Drac

You never know when you might have to hide it for 5 years.

wrecker
    Free Member

Go have a look in a dealership, have them in your hand under shop lights (a good dealer would let you look at them in daylight). That should help sway your decision.

I did, that’s my photo. They didn’t have the black or grey on leather in store. They did have the blue but I didn’t like it so much.
    The size is great, the MkXVIII looked like a girls watch on me.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Definately grey for me looks superb, was only saying the other day to the missus I wonder if the big expensive brands will ever get on the GPS wagon, I love my garmin as so much more than just a watch

LeeW

If you’ve already checked them out in the coesh and still can’t decide. Go for the black, will date less than the grey.

I think tool watches have a longer lasting appeal in their std colours rather than fashion or special editions.

I also prefer a bigger watch, the GC is 44mm, dwarfs my wrists and doesn’t allow my shirt sleeve to fall over it without help. But it looks ace.

wrecker
    Free Member

I also prefer a bigger watch, the GC is 44mm, dwarfs my wrists and doesn’t allow my shirt sleeve to fall over it without help. But it looks ace.

To be honest, at 43mm it didn’t feel or look big. A bit tall maybe but that’s chronos for you. I expected (and kind of hoped) the XVIII to be my favorite, I love its boldness but it looked too small.

Not my pic (obv!)

julians
    Free Member

grey without a doubt

thegreatape
    Free Member

Black for me.

LeeW

You’d be surprised how quick they look ‘right’ though. I have an Elite GMT which at 38mm is tidley in comparison. It soon seems to fit your wrist though.

maxtorque

No cries of “HOW MUCH” yet?? Come on STW, you’re slacking……. 😆

maxtorque

PS: GREY face imo!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I prefer a black face on stainless watches. I have an IWC and like it very much, a minor gripe about the strap clip and adjustment but I think you’ll be delighted with the watch.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Grey all day. Get the bracelet too if budget allows and a good price. The latest IWC micro adjustment looks awesomez.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No cries of “HOW MUCH” yet?? Come on STW, you’re slacking…….

HOW MUCH!!!!

(I rather like that XVIII up there, don’t much care for chronos.)

LeeW

Just found a 2016 unworn black face on black leather for £3,750.

rOcKeTdOg

Grey face is like buying a fashionable suit. In 5 years it’ll be quirky but no one will actually want to own it & it’ll feel like your 40th was way back in the dim & distant past. Whereas the black will look like it & you are forever young & classic

LeeW

On watchfinder, sorry, cack internet connection.

Wookster

Grey, it’s stunning!

km79
    Free Member

Nothing but jewellery for men. Overpriced tat sold by and to **** with more money than imagination.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Nothing but jewellery for men. Overpriced tat sold by and to **** with more money than imagination.

You just stubbed your toe or something?

LeeW

Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

dannybgoode

Grey definitely. Lovely watch…

shermer75
    Free Member

…and normal service is resumed 😉

ton

i too, dont get expensive watches or such, but i would choose the black.

shermer75
    Free Member

If I was spending that kind of money I’d choose classic over interesting, i.e. the black.

However, seeing as it’s your watch and heirloom then the more personal to you it is the better, right?

veedubba

Jewellery perhaps, but miniature feats of incredible engineering and creativity certainly.

FWIW, I’d go for the grey, but I’d support LeeW’s comment and go for the Zenith. I like their history and the company.

I’m looking for a 2010 “something” that I can wear for the next 12 years then give to one of my kids for their birthday. And run the risk of them turning their nose up at it because it’s not their style. 🙂

km79
    Free Member

However, seeing as it’s your watch and heirloom then the more personal to you it is the better, right?

Yes, may as well get the one you like best. These things end up on ebay or the pawn shop anyway as the heir usually spunks the money away on a family holiday or something.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@LeeW – sounds a great price for the El Primero. Happy days.

mogrim

I like watches until I actually have them, then I realise they’re uncomfortable, too expensive to risk wearing daily and don’t have handy features like timers and alarms – which is why I wear a 15€ Decathlon digital thing.

But those two would be nice with a leather strap, and definitely black. The gray one looks tacky.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, may as well get the one you like best. These things end up on ebay or the pawn shop anyway as the heir usually spunks the money away on a family holiday or something.

Not in my experience. In a drawer maybe or worn only on special occasions but watches and jewelry I am personally aware of being gifted is treasured.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I love watches and the grey matches that strap well but I’d go black I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fancy opining on an expensive status trinket?’ is closed to new replies.