Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone fancy checking out Haldon Forest (Devon)?
  • chris71
    Free Member

I’m planning to head over to Haldon Forest to have a go at the XC trails. Was thinking Saturday morning (30th) – anyone up for a ride?

I am a bit out of practice and extremely unfit currently, so you’ll probably want to pass if you’re the sort of person who has protein shakes for breakfast! But I was once a reasonably competent rider and looking to get back out there.

Also contemplating Neroche Forest or Symondsbury.

daern
    Free Member

Would love to but at the wrong end of the country. Was there back in August with my son and we had a great time. It’s a perfect level for someone looking to get back into it as there’s nothing there that will kill you and it’s one we always visit when in the area.

Not sure if you’ve been before, but in case you hadn’t I would point out that the dark blue is virtually the same level of difficulty as the red, and nice and quick so make sure you ride this too. The light blue isn’t very interesting and I would ride something else instead.

Have a great time! 🙂

the00
    Free Member

Might be up for this. I don’t know the area though. I think there is some local stuff worth knowing about if we can find a regular.

jobro
    Free Member

You won’t need to be shown around you know, it’s all very obvious.
    We always ride the “light blue” -Spicers trail as it makes for a perfect warm up. Haldon is best ridden flat out for maximum enjoyment.
    There is, as many on here will know, a considerable amount of off piste trails which require some guidance. But if you are just getting back into your riding then I’m sure the waymarked trails will be fine.

wheely
    Free Member

Agreed – you can’t go wrong following the clearly marked trails @ Halden. Warm up on short blue spicer trail and hit the longer more technical/hilly kiddens trail right after. Then if you’re up to it onto the (easy) red spicer trail. All 3 equate to about 11 miles.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shame not a week later when am there as I’d maybe up for it. Also getting back into XC after lengthy injury/unfitness. Visit often so future poss?

the00
    Free Member

What time were you thinking Chris?

chris71
    Free Member

What time were you thinking Chris?

Whenever really. I’m about 45 minutes away, so 9am onwards really. I’m also self-employed, so I can do weekdays if anyone’s around!

Del

happy to show you around. better make it 10am in that case though. 😉
    quite happy to bimble about if that’s what suits. not interested in scoring points. it would be an extra ride over what i normally do, so anything is good really.

chris71
    Free Member

Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow. Trust me, I’ll be lucky if I can reach bimbling pace – haven’t been out on the bike for about a year and it’s got a few slight mechanical issues! 😉

slowbloke
    Free Member

The off piste trails were slippery last night up at Haldon but the official trails were fine. Have fun folks. I’ll think of you all as I’m slithering my way round the Quantocks.

crazyjenkins01

You will enjoy it. I haven’t been up there for a fair while (I live in Plymouth) but its a good fun place. The off piste is better, but you either need to know where it is or be happy to go exploring.

chris71
    Free Member

That was fun! Cheers for coming along gents.

Del

Nice to meet you Chris. I had a good day too. Shout any time.

the00
    Free Member

Yeah, cheers Chris for getting me out, and Del for showing us some trails.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fancy checking out Haldon Forest (Devon)?’ is closed to new replies.