Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone fancy a road ride in Dorset on 1st or 2nd of may…?
  • DrP

As mulletus-maximus had an underwhelming response to his suggested roadie outing, I thought I’d dip my toe!

It would be heading out from Bournemouth/Poole area, be about 60 miles, could head up to Blandford area, or down to the Purbecks…
    Either route would guarantee sunshine and cake stops!!

There’s plenty of parking and bike fettling potential at my place, so seems a reasonable place to start from!
    Could even offer shower facilities (bring your own towel eh, I’m not a ruddy hotel…) and tea/coffee at the end!

Post if you’re interested, and I’ll email you details…

I’m likely to be heading out even if diddly-squat of you reply, so don’t feel shy!!

Also, no bike snobbery here – I’ll be on my fixie since NHS cuts made me sell my gears to fund a new dialysis robot…..

DrP

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

I could be interested mate, wife and daughter are away for the weekend and I’m planning on interspersing painting the lounge with getting out on the bike so happy to have some company…

Based in Bournemouth anyway so can be completely flexible re timings etc.

Cheers,

Mark

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’ll let you know next week mate, not sure what we’re doing next weekend yet. I’ve got loads of routes of various lengths in most directions from your place.

DrP

Cool!
    Either Sun or Mon – you should be able to make one of those, right!
    Stan – would be great to meet up with other users from here! Which day would suit you best?

Soma-rich is interested too…. 🙂

DrP

scaredypants

*expresses (tentative, inevitably doomed and thus best to ignore) interest in Monday*

I’m really really fast and snobbish though; you’re not losers are you ?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’m not but DrP is 😉

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Sunday would suit better of the two for me but Monday should be ok as well…

Just need to make sure the painting is done by the time the family gets back!

scaredypants

tentative, inevitably doomed and thus best to ignore

seriously, don’t go Monday even remotely on my account

Dyffers
    Free Member

Mornin chaps

I’m up in Blandford, riding in wales Saturday-Sunday but might be interested in a warmdown on Monday.

DrP

Nice!
    A few good people interested! Always nice to meet new faces from here!

Looking at this, it seems Monday is going to be ‘The Day (TM)’, so lets focus on that….!

Rusty-Trowel – any chance of texting Mulletus-Maximus to ask him??

DrP

DrP

And scaredypants is down for a definitely – I’ve got it tattooed on my arm…..

DrP

😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

Dude 60 miles! in a few hours? I would need most of the day for 60 miles!

*terrified*

DrP

LOL – well, at 15mph that’s only 4 hours, and likely we’ll do 40-60 miles depending on opinion on the day…!

DrP

scaredypants

LOL – well, at 15mph that’s only 4 hours

You said “cake” !! 🙁

DrP

You never include cake stops in the average speed – the tastier the cake, the slower you’d be…….!

DrP

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Mmmmm…cake

Can we have a beer too…?

Dyffers
    Free Member

This is sounding like a superb training ride: beer, cake and about 8mph moving average. 😆

DrP

The fixie has a stall speed of 14 mph…….

DrP

scaredypants

that’s dangerously close to my max – we might invert the universe, or produce perpetual motion

(or have to stop for cake)?

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Beer at the end rather than during is fine…

Don’t want to cause a Ghostbusters style crossing the streams type rupture in the fabric of space and time as we know it.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Beer = Energy

Energy = faster up hills
    Pint ~= 568g => more weight = faster down hills

So I’m up for a beer at the start, half way round and/or at the end as well. 🙂

scaredypants

Bugger !
    – seems I may be OK for this 😳

DrP

Cool!
    So far me, rusty-trowel, mullets, pants, and maybe a few others…

Realistically we don’t want to head off too late (mad dogs et al, plus baby duties later!) – how early is too early? Bearing in mind most sportives leave at 8…

DrP

scaredypants

hmmm, wasn’t planning on bringing lights ! 😯

could prob get there for 8 but then there’s 45 min on rollers and some blood doping before the off

DrP

🙂
    We’ll see what the general consensus is on the start time…. Prob 8/830 ish?

DrP

scaredypants

Time WindSpeed GustSpeed
    Mon 2 May BST
    01:00 20 mph 40 mph
    04:00 22 mph 40 mph
    07:00 23 mph 40 mph
    10:00 25 mph 35 mph
    13:00 24 mph 35 mph

😥

DrP

Oh well – hopefully it’ll be a tail wind…!

Here’s a route map and elevation profile – no real killer hills, but as you can see the Purbecks are a wee bit hilly!
    I’ve included some nice country lanes and coastal views!

i88i

Seems to have missed the top of the map there? Hmm…

Did a little run of the top half last night – bootiful!

Looking forward to it, make sure your emails are up to date as I’ll email you my details over the weekend.

DrP

DrP

Right, have emailed the addresses in your profiles,so check those for details..Please let me know what time you’re likely to get here so I know when to make !

DrP

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I’ll be using a similar alarm system to you. This morning he went off at 6.30ish, so i’ll aim to get to you for 8.
    Call you later to talk about routes/directions/etc. Wind looking strong easterly so unless we head east we’ll be having a headwind on the way home 🙁

scaredypants

can it be fancy dress ?

I’m going to be a serious sportive rider 🙂

DrP

I saw those bib tights you got![*]

DrP

Dyffers
    Free Member

Email sent. I’ll be there 8.15-8.30 ish.

Be gentle, my knees are complaining after Saturday. 😉

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Hope you guys have a good one. Would have liked to join you but still have a lounge to put back together!

Enjoy…

Stan

DrP

My bag’s too with all the ‘ sports candy’ (cake). Ballast I suppose!
    See you soon!

DrP

DrP

Well – what a cracking ride with a great bunch of chaps!
    Started out lovely and fresh, with the air warm and the sun breaking out, then as we hit the Purbecks the rain fell and the temp dropped….
    Rusty and I were grumpy as hell for a bit, especially as the pub was shut too!
    Paul was the ‘joker’ who though he’d test my legs on the 16% climb to said pub as well!
    Oh well – onward to the ferry and the rain cleared and the tarmac became dryer again (ferry was pretty rough though!).
    Final leg home was windy and in our faces, but covered a lovely 57 miles in a chilled 3.50!

Steve and cake!

Paul and cake!

Mike and cake!

Yes – the backpack was carrying 2 foot of Madeira cake! Only about 4″ left!!

Cheers for coming guys!

DrP

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Glad you got my good (and greedy) side. 🙂

was a bit rough wasn’t it.

scaredypants

If you’d said there were going to be pics posted I’d have unveiled the stripy black & white racing pants !

Thanks for a great morning DrP – and for breaking (the) wind pretty much all the way round too

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fancy a road ride in Dorset on 1st or 2nd of may…?’ is closed to new replies.