Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • anyone ever taken a ferry to st malo?
  • rbrstr
    Free Member

never done this before………its a night crossing but theyve sold out of cabins and reclining seats. what do you do? is it acceptable to crash on the floor or what?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Well there are seats all over the boat so try to get one of those I guess – I went last year in a cabin.

aP
    Free Member

It'll be awfull, plan to stop somewhere about lunchtime.

lowey

I went that way with Brittany Ferries when I was a kid. Last minute engineering hitch meant that the nice big ro ro that we should have crossed on was replaced with something not dissimilar to an huge upturned bathtub.

I vomited from start to finish. Worst 7 hours of my life.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

We did this trip with brittany ferrys and slept on the floor when we were 19 or so. it was awful, slept at the top of the stairs under the strip lights after several beers.

We then ended up crashed out in an aire on the floor for a couple of hours trying to sleep it off. Its a 10 hour crossing isn't it that one?

rbrstr
    Free Member

ten hours yes. if my wife sees this i am a dead man

matthewjb
    Free Member

I've done it for the last 5 years.

With a cabin it's great. The reclining chairs are pretty bad. Mostly because you are in a large room with 50 other people who keep talking/shouting/switching on the lights.

I didn't realise you could book without having the reclining seats. But there are usually a few people trying to sleep on the floors, in alcoves etc.

I'd make sure you get there early so hopefully you'll be first on. And have sleeping bags and a roll mat the sleep on. And don't try to sleep on the floor near the disco/all night bar.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Taken this many times (including this August coming), always with a cabin. Suspect it would be miserable on the floor.

As an alternative, try the Portsmouth-Caen ferry (may have seats or cabins left). Maybe even the Poole-St. Malo fastcat if it's still running as it's much shorter, and you don't need a seat.

Paul

lowey

ten hours yes. if my wife sees this i am a dead man

At least if she see's it you'll be dead before, as opposed to her ripping you to shreds the moment you disembark (assuming you make it that far). 😛

GW
    Free Member

Yeah, done it before. I just stayed awake.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We got a cabin when we went and that was bad enough. You get woken up very early and after all the Butlins style entertainment at the back of the boat and Kronenburg I had, it wasn't a welcome wake up.

Get a reclining seat and prepare to be wasted for the next day. I doubt you'll sleep much. Ear plugs, eye mask and a sleeping bag will be you friends, and a pile of beer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘anyone ever taken a ferry to st malo?’ is closed to new replies.