Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone ever run over a squirrel?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Just wonder what happens.

Was riding behind my mate in quite a fast section and he missed one of the furry little dudes by a whisker

edit; on the bike, obviously

Drac

phiiiiil

I’ve had a few dart under the wheels; thump-thump is about the extent of it.

Nearly had one of the little blighters run out on the road bike on a fast, wet downhill; luckily it paused in the middle and turned round. That would have been a bit different, I think…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not actually hit one, but…

Last yr riding the C2C just after we’d started, and we went through this little hamlet. As we were going down a steep section with a bend at the bottom we saw a gate with a huge red warning triangle fixed to it showing a squirrel and the words “Warning – red squirrels crossing” I giggled as one of the blokes nickname is indeed ‘squirrel’ and i turned to laugh at him. Just then this bloody stupid squirrel ran right out in front of me and froze, doing that ‘flat on the ground with all four limbs extended’ thing. Managed to swerve into a bush and fell off…

my mate wet himself 😳

Haze

Ran over an antelope once.

Dancake
    Free Member

Aaaaaarrrgg!

SaxonRider

Funny you should ask. I was once delivering a lecture in the great outdoors, when I felt something gnaw on my sandaled foot. When I looked down and saw it was a squirrel, I jumped instinctively, and ended up landing on the thing.

With what I assume was a broken back, the critter flopped around for a few seconds before one of my students leapt off the raised patio where the audience was sitting and put it out of its misery.

I still get the shivers just writing about it.

cinnamon_girl

Drac – that’s horrible 😯

Did you administer first aid?

Drac

Wasn’t me it’s an old photo that use to appear regular, we have proper squirrels not tree rats.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ran over one in Epping Forest once but it were a proper tough grey squirrel, not a weedy weak evolutionary dead end red squirrel, and it just ran off and up a tree.

Managed to swerve into a bush and fell off…

I wooduv just run it over. They’re gonna be extinct soon anyway, might as well hasten their demise. No room for weak species in nature.

5lab

There was a squirrel at the bottom of the a line motorway this year for a few days, was properly flat like roadkill (that’s what fat dhers doing 40mph will do..)

hh45
    Free Member

No but I’d like to.

BoardinBob

No squirrels but squashed around half a dozen frogs a couple of weeks ago. There were millions of them!

_tom_
    Free Member

Nope but very close, they just run out in front of you here. Saw a squashed squirrel on the landing of a jump the other day 😆

dougieb
    Free Member

In the first couple of weeks of dating the missus we decided to do the downs link and cycle from Guildford to Brighton. On the return journey there was a squirrel on the track and in a bid to impress decided to accelerate towards and pull a manual – thinking the little critter would just dart off. Unfortunately it ran under the rear wheel partially crushing it. It then proceeded to shake uncontrollably and do a number of back flips but was clearly not going to survive, thinking back I should have done the manly thing and dispatched the poor rodent. Worried I would be viewed as some sort of monster decided just to leave it there saying it would probably recover !!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah man, shooduv finished it off. Never leave an animal suffering. 🙁

mos

No, but demolished a pigeon the other week on the m1. Car is a right mess. Suprising amount of sticky floury stuff all over the front.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes funny you should ask, earlier this evening in the forest near me, loads of them around due to all the fallen acorns n stuff..
    Just went thump/bump without as much of a squeek, looked behind me and damn near hit a tree..
    I did feel sorry for it, but it didn’t look before crossing..

phiiiiil

Squirrels are funny in that they run out from the side of the road, then freeze in the middle when they see you… but just when you think “phew, it saw me, I won’t run it over after all” they dart TOWARDS you at the last second… thump, thump. Why don’t the little buggers run the other way?!

Drac

I did feel sorry for it, but it didn’t look before crossing..

That’ll because it was brainless grey not one of these guys

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

think these cropped up on an other thread here (maybe an STWer?)

had a few bounce off wheels, luckily not got entangled like that 😯

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North, when driving us back from France! Decided that we would skirt the Alps. We were driving along a beautiful winding valley road when she exclaimed, “Look, a red squirrel!”.

*BANG*

She ran it over.

Pieface

Hit a small rabbit once, it just made a popping noise as I went over it. Mate insisted I do the decent thing and finish it off by whacking its head just to make sure.

FieldMarshall

Had one bounce off my front wheel once.

It appeared none the worse for the experience.

andrewh
    Free Member

I had a rabbit too, just caught it with my foot as I tried to swerve. Went back to see if it was OK but it had gone so I assume it must have been.

jamess
    Free Member

No, but hit a cat on the head with my pedal whilst riding. Silly bugger ran off to hide in a bush. Needless to say I carried on with my ride.

voodoo_chile

done a chipmunk in canada ,and a pheasant in crosby !! both whilst driving

uphillcursing
    Free Member

OT a bit but I once hit a large fish windsurfing on a lake in Germany. Neither the fish or the front of the board were ever the same again.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bastid things are too quick….I’ll get one eventually though.I’ll tape me nuts to the handlebars……….brazil or cashew?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Ran over one once. Wasn’t happy. In fact it went nuts.
    Igmc

dmouse
    Free Member

Numerous near misses with squirrels. Indecisive little blighters.. left, right… no no, back to the left…

and had one just miss my head when it jumped between overhanging trees at the side of the path.

Only made actual contact just the once though, which was with a badger that ran out in front of me on a narrow unlit path leaving no time to react/avoid. For a few milliseconds thought it was going to turn on me after getting a pretty good “rubbing” down its side from the trailrakers that were on at the time…but it just ran off down the path and back into the bushes.

metal_leg
    Free Member

They are stupid creatures. I took my kids for a ride to the local parkland. Cycling past the *massive* and very busy play area full of kids and parents one of the critters decides to run across the path in front of my wheel. I brake in time but as I unclip, it does a u-turn to the back of my front wheel and the bike gently eases itself onto its spine.

Cue convulsing rodent with popped out eyeball.

Now, there I am with my two kids, surrounded by other kids and parents, and twitching road kill at my feet.

– “Its still alive Dad!”
    – “Yes, best we throw it into the trees so its mummy can find it.”

In answer to what tyres for squirrel kill – I say 29er bonty XDX.

martymac

never got a squirrel, bit ive hit a bat once, right in the middle of my chest.

lightman
    Free Member

I got a poor wee ratty a few years ago!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Ran over one in Swinley years ago.

Well, when I say ran over, it actually ran into the wheel, went round a couple of times making a very unpleasant thudding sound.

I’d managed to stop, but it just ran off. No damage to the bike but I kind of assumed Mr Squirrel went somewhere quiet to die.

I felt bad.

If it’d been a pigeon – I’d have been happy.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Got one once, not on a trail but on a town street. ^ ^

If I could have, I would have backed up to get him again.

MisterT

Had a stoat once on the way to work – it ran full pelt into my wheel (darted out of the hedgerow) and off came it’s head… wasn’t nice for me, guess it wasn’t that impressed either.

not surprisingly for weeks afterwards my mates would come to work with stories of wildlife committing suicide into their wheels…. deers, badgers, salmon etc….

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever run over a squirrel?’ is closed to new replies.