Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone ever ridden out of Coquitlam, British Columbia?
  • CliveA

Hi folks

As one of the perks of having a Canadian partner, we’ll be heading over to the Vancouver area for three weeks soon, to see family and friends. For some of that, we’ll be staying in Port Coquitlam, a few miles east of Vancouver.

A quick look at Google Maps and at an out-of-date guidebook suggest it might be worth me taking a bike with me.

Anyone ridden this area? Any tips?

(I’m not looking for extreme riding – I’m experienced but not extreme, with average middle-aged mediocre fitness. Seeking flowy singletrack rather than drops and jumps…)

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Closest is Burnaby Mountain and then Westwood Plateau… easy enough to pu the bike on the bus

CliveA

Westwood Plateau looks nearish. What are the trails like, tuskaloosa?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rs
    Free Member

You make it sound like you’re far from the north shore which you won’t be. On street riding in poco is pretty bad, but find a bus to take you close to the shore, all buses have bike racks, just stay at the front and keep an eye on your bike, or get family to lend a car or drive. Burnaby mountain is ok for a quick spin after work, but find a way to fromme or Seymour.

CliveA

Thanks rs. Yes, I’m sure I’ll be on the North Shore at some point, but I also like the idea of riding straight out of my brother-in-law’s house if possible. With other non-biking stuff to do while I’m there, grabbing time-efficient opportunities when I can is something that appeals when I have a spare hour or two.

Google Maps makes it look feasible to head alongside the Coquitlam River up towards Pinecone Burke Provincial Park. Does that work in practice?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

TBH not sure as i have not ridden them but will ask a friend.

Fair cycle though to Burnaby or Westwood Plateau

Cycling map Van

markgraylish
    Free Member

For all BC mountain bike needs, the first port of call is Trailforks.

Depending on whereabouts you are in PoCo, there’s a few relatively easy trails around SFU campus up on Burnaby mountain (PS: it’s a flat top hill about 500ft high!)

North East (and much better riding) is on Burke Mountain, accessed at top of Coast Meridian Road. The upper trails on Burke are a bit of a slog but worth it. Mostly natural tight and techy descents. Lower down, there’s some easy flowy stuff.
    It would be quite easy to get lost up there without Trailforks and there’s a myriad of trails.
    There’s also some fun trails just north of the sports center in Port Moody plus more expert stuff higher up on the south of Eagle Mountain…

markgraylish
    Free Member

Actually, I’ll eat my words…I,just looked on Trailforks and all the interesting stuff on Burke isn’t on the map.
    But, I’ve ridden Dawg, Frank’s and Hustler several times but usually just to finish off a much bigger ride. You could probably ride all those trails in 1.5 to 2hrs with short, easy climbs along the service road….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever ridden out of Coquitlam, British Columbia?’ is closed to new replies.