Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone ever met a “freeman on/of the land”?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Watched a Police Camera Action programme last night where a bloke refused to stop for police and refused to give his ID, he had no insurance or licence and didn’t turn up for his hearing. He said he was a “freeman on the land” and didn’t have to do anything the police told him.

Checked it out in Wiki and found this – https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land

Seems a little bonkers!! I know it doesn’t hold any legal power so why do people try and use it? Is it common?

perchypanther
    Free Member

*opens jaffa cakes and awaits the arrival of thegreatape, an acknowledged expert on the subject* 🙂

nickc

My limited understanding of it is a wilful misunderstanding of maritime law? Or some other such nonsense which means you can’t be governed or laws don’t really apply as you’ve not entered into a contract or something.

Anyway, it’s nuts.

Jakester
    Free Member

Yep, used to get them all the time. Not so much nowadays, sadly… 😉

A judge in Canada took the time to go through all of their cobblers and it rather put paid to it having any legitimate basis, so it all started to drop off:

Meads v Meads

Well worth a read if you have time…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Watched a Police Camera Action programme last night where a bloke refused to stop for police

Did he have a beard?

nealglover
    Free Member

bonkers!! I know it doesn’t hold any legal power so why do people try and use it?

Lack of any real understanding of the law, coupled with blindly believing things written on the internet, written by people with possibly even less understanding of the law.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I always wondered why the instant response to the “I’m a feeman of the land” wasn’t “oh, ok”, then give them a good kicking and steal take all their stuff the stuff they carry with them but recognise no legal entitlement to.

kelron
    Free Member

There’s some great videos of ‘sovereign citizens’ in the US.

It’s the legal equivalent of covering your eyes and claiming you’re invisible.

chakaping
    Free Member

Once, a troubled individual seated on the same table as myself at a wedding. That was a difficult couple of hours.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Once, a troubled individual seated on the same table as myself at a wedding. That was a difficult couple of hours.

Was it an annulment or a divorce?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

sovereign citizens

And there’s a wonderfully oxymoronic name too, you’re either sovereign or a citizen, you can’t be both.

BoardinBob

Absolute wallopers of the highest order. This clownshoe uses the nonsense to try and defend driving his van while using his mobile phone

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpRAay8HLE[/video]

thegreatape
    Free Member

*waves at perchypanther while helping himself to a handful of jaffa cakes*

I’m not sure anyone can be an expert on nonsense, apart from Henry’s Cat, but either way I’m not one – I’ve just met a couple of these chaps. I’m having a lazy day so I’ll just cut and paste my previous contribution.

thegreatape – Member
    Just met my first one – what fun they are . Thankfully this one had at least remembered to insure his car and obtain a driving licence, so we didn’t have to do anything to get us on YouTube. It was interesting to note that although they are not bound by the law in any way, they do recognise the authority of the battleaxe sitting next to them when they are scolded like a naughty boy and told to ‘stop being an arse and show them your driving licence’. And they go a funny purpley colour when you say ‘Magna Carta? That’s not even a real thing mate’. If you can find one I heartily recommend them for a bit of sport.

crankboy
    Free Member

yep , normally on the wrong side of the bars having talked themselves into custody. And last week one poor sucker who believed advise from a FOTL who had managed to turn a fine and points into a driving disqualification thus putting his job and family life at risk.

They are talking complete and utter cobblers.

akira

Ah apparently they think they can have all the advantages of being a citizen but aren’t required to follow the laws. Video of a guy done for speeding but claims he wasn’t speeding he was ‘travelling’ which isn’t illegal…

rossburton
    Free Member

Sounds somewhat related to that crazy thing about names being illegal that I can’t seem to google…

dannybgoode

Sounds somewhat related to that crazy thing about names being illegal that I can’t seem to google…

Using a legal name is illegal, legal name fraud and all that bollocks.

They are all crackers…

nickhit3
    Free Member

wait, Police Camera Action? hasn’t that been off the air since about 1999?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve read about them in the past, it sounds like a wonderful scheme.

You get to live in a country, benefit from it’s infrastructure, defence, policing, NHS etc etc etc, but just not accept any of it’s laws, unless they suit you.

All the benefits of society, without any of the drawbacks.

Is David Davis a freeman?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is David Davis a freeman?

The difference is DD is well aware it’s an impossible joke but is quite right in thinking that admitting such will get him lynched.

As opposed to a FoTL who is convinced they’re right and thinks wrongly they will be worse off if they admit it’s all nonsense.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Oh gawd.

Close this thread. Close it now.

martinhutch

Are we detaining you? Are you free to go?

😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever met a “freeman on/of the land”?’ is closed to new replies.