Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone ever laid their own block paving drive?
  • bearnecessities

Just wondering.

Researching in depth now the prep to do any form of drive/path (started out as gravel for cheapness) and by the time you’ve put the effort in to get a proper base in, I’m just thinking I may as well lay a nice drive first time around myself, rather than a ‘temp’ job which won’t address many issues anyhow.

It’s only taking your time putting blocks in a pretty pattern and cutting in, isn’t it? 🙂

(Paving expert has been the only other site I’ve visited in last few week apart from here. Just wondered if anyone here has done it?)

mj27
    Free Member

Have done a fair bit of block paving during the many additions to my house. It does look easy but the hard work is in the prep. If you want to motivate yourself get a quote then price up the materials, you could even afford a bike from the difference. It is satisfying to look back on having done the work yourself, just follow the paving expert and get the edges and base right.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Buy some knee pads, I’ve done plenty btw.
    Sub base is the key!

maccruiskeen

other site I’ve visited in last few week apart from here

What the hell are you going on about – ‘other site’ thats just crazy talk.

It’s only taking your time putting blocks in a pretty pattern and cutting in, isn’t it?

You can get a bit more creative than that if you like

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

pjt201
    Free Member

You want one of these:
    [video]http://youtu.be/jkVBg_-OviI[/video]

bearnecessities

You can get a bit more creative than that if you like

Nice finish though 😀

Thanks for replies.

Unanswered questions from internet are:

Does it matter if my new surface is lower than the existing against the house, say, another 6 inch lower(I can’t imagine why it would be, but don’t want to find out when it’s too late) – If I can lower it, I can fix my retaining wall issues (out of sight on photo)

Are slight undulations in the the surface allowable in block paving? (obviously as long as on a base with same undulations)

It’ll be this whole area, up to house and fence. (undulations yet to be figured out! I’d like to achieve as level driveway as possible, rather than a complete slope as ‘drive’ presently is.)

paulwf

I laid mine after reading the paving expert website.

I bought a whacker plate and a block splitter from ebay to use. Sold them for more than I paid (bought in Jan, sold in June!)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Block paving is the king of ironing out “undulations”. There are no problem in lowering levels around a property, however raising levels is a different issue. Get yourself a decent screed rail and decent plastic float and just chuck em down!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever laid their own block paving drive?’ is closed to new replies.