Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Anyone ever filled in an inspection pit?
  • twoniner
    Free Member

I inherited my Grandfathers garage a while back and with it an inspection pit full of water.

I’m after draining it and filling it in but trying to figure out how to go about it. I think the water is seeping in through the pit walls but it never overflows over the top.

My thoughts are to fill it with hardcore packing it down as I fill it in and top it off with about 6-8 in thick concrete.

Anyone done this? Any advice suggestions?

project
    Free Member

theres probably a small drain that allows some water to leak out,thats why doesnt overflow pump it out and have a look.

twoniner
    Free Member

Ah, good one, that’s what that pipe is coming out where it’s always wet outside.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Don’t fill it in, use it as a small indoor hot tub?

shermer75
    Free Member

twoniner
    Free Member

Sod that, I’m sure there’s something living in that pit. I go in and see ripples in the water. I reckon it’s that thing in the black stuff on Prometheus.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’d love a garage with a pit. Possible valuable feature for resale. Can’t you just board it over?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Possible valuable feature for resale.

You think? Death trap in the eyes of 99.5% of house buyers.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Boarding it over surely stop its being a death trap? Obviously you can fill it in if you want but I’d see at as extra storage space if nothing else.

mattyfez

If you can sort the water issue out, I’d probably make a proper wood/metal cover for it.. It’s extra storage room if nothing else.

wwaswas

personally I’d just get a big sheet of DPM line the hole with it and fill it with aggregate (having blocked any obvious drain holes)

what could go wrong!

ThePinkster

I’d be tempted to try & identify the source of the water first.

If it’s filling up with that much water (I’m guessing this is a pit you can stand up in?) that’s an awful lot of the stuff. It’s always possible it’s below the water table, in which case I’d just tank it and use it.

Unless you’ve got someone you need to ‘disappear’?

😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Think I’d try to find out where the water is coming from first.

Waderider
    Free Member

It’ll be groundwater and if the pit wasn’t tanked properly during construction there is little that you can do about it.

I’d love a pit, but then I work on my motors myself.

Regarding filling in, compacted fill with concrete over, not the worlds biggest construction challenge.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id love a pit.

Ive resisted fitting one in my garage simply because modern cars dont fit 😀

Ergo i need a new garage with pit obviously – something about the size of footflaps workshop should do.

jimdubleyou

Sounds like your new wine cellar needs the leaks plugged.

footflaps

Sound ideal for storing your illegal hoard of guns and ammo. Just need to sort out the damp problem as you don’t want your AK47s rusting…

somouk
    Free Member

Your approach is what we’ve done recently with a friends pit. We flattened the garage, used some of the debris to make the hard core and then topped it.

Although I do think a trap door and loot store would be a better use.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Definitely ground water. My dad’s used to fill up regularly and eventually bought an electric pump once he got bored of shovelling the water out.

I’d love a garage with a pit too. As long as they have a decent cover they are so useful.

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ll need to get it drained and see what’s going on in there and where the waters coming from but my guess it’s seeping in through the walls. The place hasn’t been used in years and it’s just filled up over time.

My thinking is fill with hardcore compacting it down as I go, every foot or so and then top with concrete. I want to sink a couple of ground anchors into the concrete top to chain the wife’s motorbike down and secure it.

I wouldn’t want to store anything in the pit, it’s too damp.

woffle
    Free Member

I think you can buy a suitable pump cheaply enough from Amazon (if it’s not coming in too quickly)…

(and I’d love a pit in my garage – when we knock the current thing down and build a new workshop and garage/studio it’s on my wish list. It’s more practical that a decent 2 post lift)

twoniner
    Free Member

You’re all making me feel guilty now for wanting it filled in!

I will have a good look it when I’ve drained it to see if it can be saved.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Make sure you have something/someone to bury in the pit before filling it. May a well take advantage of it 😀

falkirk-mark

How do you get on with your Mrs/ inlaws ?

Xylene
    Free Member

You could grow cannabis in it, hold people hostage, keep a pike in there or fill it with spiders and renact indiana jones

footflaps

Steel trap door and you have a hidyhole for the upcoming Zombie apocalypse….

revs1972
    Free Member

automatically opening cellar type doors with a hydraulic platform to stick the bike on. Ride bike onto platform, push the button and watch it disappear back into the pit with the doors retracting over it.
    Don’t forget to get off the bike first though.
    Oh and tank it, put a sump in the corner with a pump rigged to work when the water gets to a certain level

Or I might be over thinking this

gravity-slave
    Free Member

revs – nice, needs dry ice too for when the doors open on bike retrieval.

revs1972
    Free Member

just got to think of the right theme tune to play………..

gravity-slave
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

Xylene
    Free Member

Keep a mermaid in it

Vern0n
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxV3lDLiJs[/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

You can’t just fill it in and concrete if it “fills” with water or you will end up with a wet patch on the new concrete. You need to protect its current outfall if possible and then fill with say 20 mm clean which will compact but still be granular enough for the water to seep away through the existing means.

Rich_s

Is this a euphemism?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever filled in an inspection pit?’ is closed to new replies.