• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ever entered a trials competition?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

What was the general vibe like? Was it enjoyable and how hard were the beginners sections?

retro83
    Free Member

I did 10 years ago on an ill suited bike.

It was a good atmosphere, very competitive but a good laugh too. We didn’t have beginners sections, so I mostly ended up with 5s and a handful of 2s. Pretty low down the rankings its fair to say. 😀

Been meaning to get a trials bike and have another crack at it. (wanders off to trawl the bay for mods…)

somouk
    Free Member

I entered a couple when younger when I was really into trials.

Vibe was pretty good, trials was big so there were lots of beginners knocking around. Beginners sections were shorter sections of the main comp sections so no less technical really.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Was hoping there might be an easy introduction for the totally inept.

I guess the impulse E-bay purchase will just have to continue hanging in the garage.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have done a few. (10 years ago)

the beginers sections would all be achievable on any mtb with the seat down really.

just enter one and have a go. It’s worth attending to see what how others are doing it.

retro83
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member

Was hoping there might be an easy introduction for the totally inept.

I guess the impulse E-bay purchase will just have to continue hanging in the garage.

Maybe it’s changed now, but back when i did it there were plenty of stages which were just things like riding up a steep muddy slope with wet tree roots to avoid, or riding a taped course through some tight trees.
    Actually very little on the normal levels required hopping or technical moves. Mostly just good balance and bike control.

OCB
    Free Member

I rode a local series a few years back, and found it just as Retro83 describes there ^ (with the occasional, very small hop-up here and there).

Can’t say they’d all be the same, but there was loads of support from the organisers and they were all, without exception, good natured, friendly events.

Plenty of people were frankly as rubbish as I was which kept it fun – and people encouraged each other, or took the p as appropriate. Some of the riders were scarily good too – I honestly don’t know how some of that stuff was ridden.

I’ve still got my Onza, it doesn’t get out much, but I do mess about on it sometimes if I want an [unconventionally] difficult time on a bike.

Give it a go, what’s the worst thing that can happen?

😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever entered a trials competition?’ is closed to new replies.