Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone ever done the Singletrack 6 / Transrockies
  • kilo

Looking for a big trip holiday next year and this singletrack6 is looking inviting. Bit of a long shot but anyone here ridden it or in the Kootenay Rockies region of Southeastern British Columbia, which is the 2016 venue. Wondering if it is suitable for a middle aged wobbler 😳

kilo

quick bump for the evening crowd

sweaman2
    Free Member

At home on a tablet so cant type long answer. I live in calgary and haven’t done ST6 but have ridden a lot of the trails. You can look at past courses for distance / elevation but ~1500m of climbing in 40km per day would be about right.

Fernie is fantastic, don’t know about Cranbrook and Kimberly. Golden is reasonable one day (Mount Shadow) and a bit dull on the Mondraker trails. It depends what you normally ride as to how tricky you might find the trails.

slackalice
    Free Member

I rode the south east Kooteney’s a lot, albeit about 10 – 15 years ago now, so I dare say many of the trails have changed.

Having just looked at the schedule, first of all, it’ll be warm at the end of July and dry, temps will be early 30’s C. Vernier in winter is or was known as steep and deep, there were a few classic xc type trails, but I’d imagine it’ll be the same as it was and expect an Alps type of riding. Cranbrook will be xc biased, nothing too steep or gravity led.

I knew Kimberley very well, that’s where I lived. Great community and I’m amazed they’re still talking about it being an up and coming trail network, which probably means there’s been little investment in the trail network or ski hill, so you’ll find a good mix of xc and dh type of trails. There was some brilliant riding around that area and similar to Fernie, is either up or down.

Golden is a ski resort in the western Rockies. Personally, wasn’t my favourite place to either ride or ski, but it may have improved. Alpine resort, quite high for the area and mostly above the tree line. Stunning views of the Rockies, great weather and the riding will sure to be a blast anyway.

The event looks like a great way to see and ride and experience the region and there are obviously many other places within the SE Koots that are similarly brilliant. I loved the place and is most definitely one of my spiritual homes.

Like most of that region though, the trails either go up or down and I learnt masses whilst living and riding there. Great scenery, people and riding. Just do it 8)

slackalice
    Free Member

Fernie, nor vernier! Auto correct error 😀

Oh, and if you want to visit God’s own country while you’re over there, then get over to the east side of the Rockies and ride the Kananskis area. There are some truly awesome trails and scenery there 8) . I dare say sweaman will have recent and intimate knowledge there as its a relatively short hop from cow town 😀 . Makes me feel kinda homesick just explaining a little about the place.

Twodogs

Have done the old 7 day Transrockies twice and it was a great event….well organised, good routes and a real challenge (especially in 2009 when it rained for 6 days….). 2nd time it was still good but not as good because they changed it to spend the first 3 days on trails around Fernie. While they were fantastic trails, we felt we could have just organised ourselves a holiday and ridden them independently.
    I think if the new format is 6 days based in one place it might be a bit dull…..but well organised!

kilo

Just finished it. Great race, brilliant trails but hard work for an unfit old nodder :-). Lots and lots of climbing 🙁

Wookster

Tell me more mate!!Id love to do it, but I’m far away from being a whippet!!

andyg1966

Old post ignore

kilo

I am nearly fifty, not a whippet and not really into training for things anymore, we did some weekends at Afan to prepare, probably should have done more but cba. I managed to get around despite knocking the crap out of my shoulder and ribs on stage one although I did not trouble the podium. Very well,run event, excellent signage of the course and control,points, first rate medical volunteers too 🙂
    The riding was excellent lots of climbing, some of it fairly ridiculous and for a lot of people a fair bit of hiking but the best singletrack I’ve ridden, most of the stages were 90% singletrack. It was also a tad warm which varied from being nice to a bit brutal. Good vibe in all the race towns too, very welcoming and mtb focused bit of Canada. Bears also put in appearance too!

Wookster

Awesome!! Sounds great!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Did the first one back when it was a point to point stage race with camping and although it was a bit disorganised in parts, we enjoyed it and though we might go back one year. But it’s changed its nature a lot and doesn’t sound so much fun to me. Hell of a long way to travel for a biking holiday.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever done the Singletrack 6 / Transrockies’ is closed to new replies.