Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone ever done a package holiday to iceland?
  • Pook

Not for biking, just to go to Reykjavik for a few days – any tips? We’d want to go from Manchester but any experiences/suggestions are more than welcome!

cb

Not a package but went for a long weekend. Wasn’t much choice of flights in those days so remember landing at silly o’clock. Stayed in a small apartment run by a guy used to people turning up in the small hours! Late rooms I think.

We hired a car and drove to some waterfalls and the Blue Lagoon which I wanted to hate but actually quite enjoyed. Think the general cost of things is lower now than then!

If I went again I’d spend a week and just drive all over the place. Great landscape.

BullFrog
    Free Member

Hi Pook

I can’t give any advice about a package holiday in Iceland but can give you a little experience of our holiday back in April 2007.

We live in Settle and was unable to fly from Manchester. I recall booking the holiday through Expedia and checking for flights from airports up here but was unable to find any. We ended up driving to Gatwick. We were a little pi&%ed off when we flew back and the pilot told us all that we were flying over the Yorkshire dales.

We stayed in a hotel just outside Reykjavik. It was attached to their domestic airport. I can’t remember what it was called but it was very nice and well priced. We hired a car out and explored for a few days.
    We visited Gullfoss falls, which was just amazing!! We had a swim in the Blue lagoon, which was pretty nice but bloody expensive. Our highlight was hiring 2 skibikes on one of the glaciers. This was really expensive but great fun and the views from the Glacier were out of this world.

We found that there were so many beautiful places and sceneries just off the main roads such as waterfalls and geezers. We drove to the foot of a glacier and walked through this large crack into a fantastic icecave. The ice blue colour was just awsome. It was pretty dangerous being in there as big chunks of ice were falling from above and it was not a tourist place, we just took a road off a road and came across it. Another great thing to do was some whale watching. We got taken out into the North Atlantic and spent what appeared to be ages watching whales coming up to the surface right next to our boat. What an experience!! It was bloody cold out there also!!

Eating and drinking in Iceland is just so expensive. We found ourselve buying our lunch in local petrol stations and eating it near a waterfall when we stopped. You could easily spend a shed load of money on just eating out and drinking. Reykjavik was a pretty cool place. Quite busy with plenty to do. It looked a little run down and untidy but had some nice tourist spots. I’m not one for crowds or night life so we didn’t spend much time there.

Would i go back to Iceland?? Definately…without any doubt a fantastic place with beautiful sceneries. The only downfall was that everything was bloody dear!!

Hope this helps a little…Enjoy

totalshell

whilst your there can you ask for our money back?

Kuco

^^^^ 😆

KT1973
    Free Member

And if you see that bloody Kerry Katona, ask her if she can count to 20 without taking her socks off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever done a package holiday to iceland?’ is closed to new replies.